CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Clutch diaphragm spring rubbing outer primary

I recently replace my whole entire clutch hub/basket and now have an issue. As you can barely see in the picture, iPhone will not focus, my clutch diaphragm spring would appear to be rubbing on my outer primary. I have been trying to chase down a noise that has appeared recently and when i took off my derby cover i noticed the marking on the plate. I put some paint marker and some spray paint over the marking. When i put it all back together and started it for about 2 minutes the paint was removed. The fact that i replaced the old, broken hub with the exact same thing is leaving me confused as to why this has happened. The only difference between the old one and the new one is my old one had a peer bearing and on of those clutch hub reinforcement rings. Otherwise they are exactly the same basket with the upgraded steel hub.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	83714
    Last edited by Reble; 05-02-2018 at 9:52 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Something is loose or in wrong take it apart and find out what it is... Don't ride it anymore until you do...

Get Adobe Flash player

What is your bike? What is the make of the new clutch? Do you ave a manual? Did you install the new clutch hub/basket according the manufacturer's instructions? Did you determine what caused your old hub to break?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    What is your bike? What is the make of the new clutch? Do you ave a manual? Did you install the new clutch hub/basket according the manufacturer's instructions? Did you determine what caused your old hub to break?

Yep it looks like it's about to fall out....

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Its a custom, Frankensteined together by my father and his buddy's. Its a stock clutch with the upgraded steel hub, i have a manual, installed it per manual, my frustration threw the old clutch around and broke it. Snapped one of the four bolts in the towers and ended up tossing it around the concrete and broke the casting of the old one, all my fault, all out of the bike.

I will take it apart and see if i can find anything that is not how it is supposed to be.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just took the primary drive apart, everything seemed to be tight and in proper adjustment. The only thing i have found is that it looks like one or two of the derby cover bolts were rubbing on the plate and not the actual inner primary. My key also came out in two pieces, one end broke off. However the clutch did not spin on the input shaft or any other kind of damage. The big bearing on the basket seems to move every so slightly in its place, not like its bad, but like its slightly undersized. I am thinking of putting the bearing from my old basket into this one to see if it fits better. Other than getting a new key and doing that i don't know what else i could do. I suppose once i do that, i will pay extra attention to assembly and shave the derby cover bolts to see what happens.

Get Adobe Flash player

Put the other bearing in, much better fit. Was able to push out the one it had with my thumbs. Anyways, i put it all back together and it is no longer rubbing the bolts, however it is still making some bad noises. I am thinking it may be the throw ought bearing. I suppose i will open the other side up and take a look at that fella.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Reble View Post
    Just took the primary drive apart, everything seemed to be tight and in proper adjustment...My key also came out in two pieces, one end broke off. However the clutch did not spin on the input shaft or any other kind of damage...Other than getting a new key...i will pay extra attention to assembly and shave the derby cover bolts to see what happens.
    Were you able to figure out why the key broke off on one end and came out in two pieces? Was it the right sized key? Was it installed properly? Did you check for any burrs on the shaft, key seat and new key? Is the new key the right size? Any burrs on the shaft or bore? Did you measure for runout of the shaft,or check fit of clutch hub on the shaft with the key, then without the key? I'm curious why the key broke.

Get Adobe Flash player

Put the other bearing in, much better fit. Was able to push out the one it had with my thumbs. Anyways, i put it all back together and it is no longer rubbing the bolts, however it is still making some bad noises. I am thinking it may be the throw ought bearing. I suppose i will open the other side up and take a look at that fella.
    What kinda "bad noises"?
    Is the noise consistent in each gear, or, at a certain RPM,or, more when under load,or, different with clutch disengaged/engaged,or...?

Get Adobe Flash player

What kinda "bad noises"?
    Is the noise consistent in each gear, or, at a certain RPM,or, more when under load,or, different with clutch disengaged/engaged,or...?
    I have not tried to ride it, simply start it. It happens when i pull the clutch lever in at idle. I would say it another rubbing sound and whirling sound. I confirmed with some more paint that it is not the plate rubbing on the primary or derby bolts. I am thinking about going to harbor freight to get a cheap auto stethoscope and try and pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

As to your other questions, i did not care to investigate why the key broke. For now i am just going with well used and the clutch was over torqued down one too many times.
    Last edited by Reble; 05-10-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

try running it without the primary cover on,.... more chance of finding whatever is making contact and the noise.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    try running it without the primary cover on,.... more chance of finding whatever is making contact and the noise.....
    That could be a challenge....

Get Adobe Flash player

I know this might be obvious but does EVERY thing have oil in it???

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    I know this might be obvious but does EVERY thing have oil in it???
    The engine is full up, transmissions is on its mark, and the primary is filled up the bottom of basket like the book says. I am not sure if in my case that 100% because the angle at witch everything sits could be different from a stock bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

The engine is full up, transmissions is on its mark, and the primary is filled up the bottom of basket like the book says. I am not sure if in my case that 100% because the angle at witch everything sits could be different from a stock bike.
    I didn't think that was the problem it was just a thought... I've seen it before

Get Adobe Flash player

Have not been in the motorcycle game for long but have heard some obvious things become expensive.

With the "mechanics" stethoscope the noise is definitely coming from the trapdoor. Tell me if i am wrong, but that means that either/or the ball ramp thing and the throw-out bearing is messed up in some way.

Get Adobe Flash player

Have not been in the motorcycle game for long but have heard some obvious things become expensive.

With the "mechanics" stethoscope the noise is definitely coming from the trapdoor. Tell me if i am wrong, but that means that either/or the ball ramp thing and the throw-out bearing is messed up in some way.
    So the questions would be if i open this up and replace these things should i go stock or something like the Baker heavy duty throwout bearing kit?

Get Adobe Flash player

With the "mechanics" stethoscope the noise is definitely coming from the trapdoor.
    only sportsters have a Trapdoor,.... what exactly is your bike,... please post photos of the whole bike and what do you think is a trap door,.... i'd drain the primary and run it as I said to see if the noise either goes away or helps pin point the problem,... if you don't have a kick starter drain the primary and fire it up and then remove the primary cover,... see if the chain is whipping about ,... or if the basket is wobling about,... if you don't know what ya doing get a buddy with experience to help & again if you don't know what you are listening for don't bother with a stethoscope,......but please,... PICTURES with pointers to your ''trapdoor'',...

Get Adobe Flash player

By trapdoor i meant the side cover in which the clutch cable goes into. Its a custom chopper, 92 engine, 90 primary, and some tapered shaft 5 speed. Its all softail based. I have no reason to believe there is chain slap in the primary because there is no evidence of it in the primary. I will get to running it without primary on sometime. Also, i don't have a friend that has any more knowledge. They are all into super sports or no motorcycles at all. I also like messing my bike up and if end up catastrophic so be it, hopefully it dose not mess anyone else up if it gets to that point.

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	83874

Name:	IMG_20161027_221250.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	83875
    I do not know why the bottom image is upside down. Just note that image is when i got it and since then i have cleaned it up a lot, as you can see in top picture.

Share This