CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Custom steering stem

I recently started attempting to fit some forks on my bike and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience making custom stems
    I began trying to learn how to use autodesk to design parts not too long ago so pardon my ignorance when it comes to the program

The link to the pdf file is below

pdf document: stem metric final copy blueprint 1.pdf

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on how much it would cost to fabricate this out of 1018 steel?

Thanks for your time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpeg stem metric.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	83655

Hopefully this image works

Name:	jpeg stem metric.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	83656

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Fang View Post
    I recently started attempting to fit some forks on my bike and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience making custom stems
    I began trying to learn how to use autodesk to design parts not too long ago so pardon my ignorance when it comes to the program

The link to the pdf file is below

pdf document: stem metric final copy blueprint 1.pdf

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on how much it would cost to fabricate this out of 1018 steel?
    Thanks for your time

Good job on the drawing. If it was handed that in the machine shop, I could build it. Would just scribble a few primary measurements so not having to look at so many drawings - two would be enough.

But a bit confused with one of your diameters between the M24 and M22 threads - looking at the three lower drawings on the left, it looks like the unthreaded section is 23.37mm.
    Problem I see is that the minor diameter of a M24x1 thread is 22.891-22.628mm.

https://www.engineersedge.com/hardwa...ead-sizes2.htm

How will the bottom of the post be attached to the lower tree? welded?
    Assuming this is for your 2003 Roadstar. What kind of forks/front end are you mounting? Have you researched bearing sizes?
    Fill us with details so we can help better and not have to guess of ways to make it better or easier.

EDIT: I see the blueprint title is: Yamaha road star springer stem
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-30-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Good job on the drawing. If it was handed that in the machine shop, I could build it. Would just scribble a few primary measurements so not having to look at so many drawings - two would be enough.

But a bit confused with one of your diameters between the M24 and M22 threads - looking at the three lower drawings on the left, it looks like the unthreaded section is 23.37mm.
    Problem I see is that the minor diameter of a M24x1 thread is 22.891-22.628mm.

https://www.engineersedge.com/hardwa...ead-sizes2.htm

How will the bottom of the post be attached to the lower tree? welded?
    Assuming this is for your 2003 Roadstar. What kind of forks/front end are you mounting? Have you researched bearing sizes?
    Fill us with details so we can help better and not have to guess of ways to make it better or easier.

EDIT: I see the blueprint title is: Yamaha road star springer stem
    The two threaded areas are the ones I'm not sure about
    I have the original stem that I'm making the blueprints off of (2003 road star) I plan on sending it along with the corresponding nuts to whatever place can make it to compare/adjust the thread sizes on the blueprint

Here's a picture of the bottom threaded area, the thread gauge measures 1.0 and the diameter is 24.80mm

Name:	31766155_1866403603390654_2612261296258678784_n.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	83669

Name:	31676599_1866405150057166_8281068723352109056_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	83670

Here's a picture of the top threaded portion, the thread gauge also measures 1.0 and the diameter is 21.86mm

Name:	31727727_1866406080057073_8553553706447011840_n.jpg 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	83671

Name:	31706408_1866408196723528_6632249444345577472_n.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	83672

Sorry for the confusion, I've been trying to teach myself how to use the program and my measuring tools aren't the greatest, my skills are also still not up to par but I'm tryin my damnedest!

Yes I plan on pressing it in and welding it on the bottom of the lower triple tree, The forks I intend to use are the old springer forks I'm currently restoring on my other post (pictured mocked up on the bike)

Name:	28378789_1797902900240725_3247883556617191424_n.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	83673
    I still have yet to identify them but I feel like I have enough information to move forward for the time being at least

The old stem I pressed out was 1" diameter, I've talked to several shops and they have all said because the lower tree is welded to the fork legs it will be almost impossible to fit it into a machine to bore the hole out in the tree to fit a stock road star stem (30mm)
    I believe them too, I had to notch out a few areas on my cheap 12 ton press and stack it up on some bricks just to get them to fit in there

The problem I had when I first tried them on the bike was the stem that came on the forks was too short, the upper tree was resting on the upper bearing race and it cleared the top tree by maybe 2 threads

As far as bearings I plan on retaining the stock road star size
    The dimensions for the stem are the same as the stock road star one with the exception of the bottom portion that is 24mm so it can be pressed into the lower tree, it is also solid vs the hollow stock road star stem

Thanks for the help by the way i really appreciate it

Get Adobe Flash player

why replace the steering stem just because it is too short to go through the top yoke (Tree).
    it's easier to machine the yoke (Tree) than it will be to make new steering stem & all the grief of pressing one out, another in and welding.
    why not use the original stem & just enlarge the hole in the top yoke (Tree) and fit a sleeve type Nut like on Old Sportsters and Shovelhead's from the 70's,....... like in this rough drawing.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    why replace the steering stem just because it is too short to go through the top yoke (Tree).
    it's easier to machine the yoke (Tree) than it will be to make new steering stem & all the grief of pressing one out, another in and welding.
    why not use the original stem & just enlarge the hole in the top yoke (Tree) and fit a sleeve type Nut like on Old Sportsters and Shovelhead's from the 70's,....... like in this rough drawing.....
    Best idea yet!

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    The original stem only protruded from the top yoke a few threads without any of the bearings installed when I fit it up to the bike
    With the lower bearings pressed on I can imagine it will pull the stem down a bit further

I think if I used the sleeve type nut as mentioned with the bearings installed I wouldn't be able to use the lock nut set that goes between the top yoke and stem bearings
    The stem I designed is exactly the same as the oem road star stem with the exception that it is solid vs hollow and that the bottom diameter is the correct size to press into the lower yoke
    If I where to use the original stem I would have to make some adapters as well to make the original harley bearings that fit on the stem it came with fit in the neck of the road star
    I have a set of new oem road star bearings I plan on pressing on to the new stem, I've already pressed out the original stem that was on it so that battle is won for now

Get Adobe Flash player

It sounds like the threaded section is inside the bearing race,which is not good.

Now that we see what you are doing, I think you are making the neck post too complicated trying to copy the original when you are installing an old springer; you just need something like this:

Name:	8c1ae6a6-9543-404d-8021-90920244c53f_290.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	83688

Measure the overall length across the bearings, you already know the thickness of the top and bottom trees and the bore in the bottom tree + the size of the bearings, get a top nut and crown nut with 1" UNS thread and redraw a simple neck post, machine it and install that cool old springer on your RoadStar.

The tapered roller bearing set to fit your 2003 RoadStar 1600; from All Balls, Steering Stem Bearings - #22-1004-A

Drop-in replacement for OEM ball-type bearings
    Tapered roller bearings decrease maintenance
    Less wear; longer life

INCLUDED ITEMS:
    Two bearings
    Two seals

UPPER BEARING DIMENSIONS:
    Inside Diameter: 25mm/.99 in. (25mm = 0.984")
    Outside Diameter: 47mm/1.85 in. (47mm = 1.850")
    Width: 15mm/.91 in. (15mm = 0.591")

LOWER BEARING DIMENSIONS:
    Inside Diameter: 30mm (30mm = 1.181")
    Outside Diameter: 55mm (55mm = 2.165")
    Width: 18mm (18mm = 0.709")

mm to inch converter: https://www.google.com/search?q=conv...t=firefox-b-ab
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-02-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added tapered roller neck bearing set and sizes

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Fang View Post
    The two threaded areas are the ones I'm not sure about
    I have the original stem that I'm making the blueprints off of (2003 road star) I plan on sending it along with the corresponding nuts to whatever place can make it to compare/adjust the thread sizes on the blueprint

Here's a picture of the bottom threaded area, the thread gauge measures 1.0 and the diameter is 24.80mm

Name:	31766155_1866403603390654_2612261296258678784_n.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	83669

Sorry for the confusion, I've been trying to teach myself how to use the program and my measuring tools aren't the greatest, my skills are also still not up to par but I'm tryin my damnedest!

Yes I plan on pressing it in and welding it on the bottom of the lower triple tree, The forks I intend to use are the old springer forks I'm currently restoring on my other post (pictured mocked up on the bike)

Name:	28378789_1797902900240725_3247883556617191424_n.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	83673
    I still have yet to identify them but I feel like I have enough information to move forward for the time being at least

The old stem I pressed out was 1" diameter, I've talked to several shops and they have all said because the lower tree is welded to the fork legs it will be almost impossible to fit it into a machine to bore the hole out in the tree to fit a stock road star stem (30mm)
    I believe them too, I had to notch out a few areas on my cheap 12 ton press and stack it up on some bricks just to get them to fit in there

The problem I had when I first tried them on the bike was the stem that came on the forks was too short, the upper tree was resting on the upper bearing race and it cleared the top tree by maybe 2 threads

As far as bearings I plan on retaining the stock road star size
    The dimensions for the stem are the same as the stock road star one with the exception of the bottom portion that is 24mm so it can be pressed into the lower tree, it is also solid vs the hollow stock road star stem

Thanks for the help by the way i really appreciate it

You state: "the lower tree is welded to the fork legs it will be almost impossible to fit it into a machine to bore the hole out in the tree..."
    Almost is the key word - a good machine shop will have a mill which can set the head parallel to the table, or, install a cutting tool in a lathe and clamp the springer to the toolrest and feed it into the cutter, or, use a mobile inline boring tool... or use ingenuity to get the job done.

You measured the 24mm thread large diameter as 24.8mm; that is a 25x1mm thread, not 24 - check the engineers edge link I provided above for thread sizes.

Here is an example of a top nut (to adjust bearings and align top tree) and crown nut(to align top of tree and act as a lock nut):

Name:	IMG_6450-11.jpg 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	83689
    (Note the step on each nut which fits into the top tree)
    and another:

Name:	s-l225.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	83690
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-02-2018 at 7:52 AM. Reason: added (Note)

Get Adobe Flash player

I see you already have the crown nut and top nut to fit your springer!
    In post #4 from your 'identify springer thread' from 4 weeks ago; just use those to get your new neck threaded. What are the measurements on that thread? Not a big deal to combine metric and standard - it's custom built.

Thread: Springer fork identification
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51292

Share This