CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Will Extended / Over forks work with a 2000 FXDX / Super glide sport

Ive been trying to find an to the question this question. I have contacted dealers and sellers, with no answer.

Will the stock slider assembly from a 2000 FXDX accept standard aftermarket extended / over forks?

I know the stock FXDX forks are +2 over. I know the cartridges from the stock FXDX cannot be used with aftermarket extended forks. I just to add +8 aftermarket forks with new aftermarket internals. Will the stock FXDX fork sliders work with standard aftermarket fork tubes and dampeners?

Thank you.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FXDXXX View Post
    Ive been trying to find an to the question this question. I have contacted dealers and sellers, with no answer.

Will the stock slider assembly from a 2000 FXDX accept standard aftermarket extended / over forks?

I know the stock FXDX forks are +2 over. I know the cartridges from the stock FXDX cannot be used with aftermarket extended forks. I just to add +8 aftermarket forks with new aftermarket internals. Will the stock FXDX fork sliders work with standard aftermarket fork tubes and dampeners?

Thank you.
    Your problem not getting an answer has a lot to do with how your asking the question...

Do I have to replace my stock fxdx fork sliders if buy +8 over forks?

Get Adobe Flash player

Will the stock slider assembly from a 2000 FXDX accept...aftermarket extended...fork (tubes)?

Will the stock FXDX fork sliders work with...aftermarket fork tubes and dampeners?

Thank you.
    I think I figured out your question.

V-Twin forum
    Thread: Source for extended forks for FXDX?

Q: Drag Specialties has 39mm extended fork tubes, but not for the FXDX. Any of you guys know the difference in fork tubes between the FXD, FXDL, and FXDX? Or know where I can get some extended tubes?

A1: The FXDX and FXDXT have a one-off Showa cartridge fork system that NO ONE makes aftermarket parts for. Either replace bad parts with stock, replace the whole thing with aftermarket, or try to find somebody who will fabricate custom parts ...

A2: forks by frank will make them they are the same as the sportster sport , but the internals will have to be extended also I looked in to doing this for a friend . if memory serves me right you will have to make a extender rod with a hole through it and male threads on one end female on other end . fluid is actually pushed through the rod for valving . rather involved but it can be done .
    http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...orks-fxdx.html

so,

Franks Forks
    The leader in replacement motorcycle forks.
    945 Pitner Ave. Evanston, IL 60202 | 847-475-1003

Franks Forks custom builds fork tubes for most Harley Davidson models going back to 1949. We can replace your originals with matching stock tubes. And if you are building a custom chopper and want to rake out the front end another foot or slam it and shorten them up, Franks can supply tubes to your exact specifications.

http://franksforks.com/products/harl...on-fork-tubes/

This may help:

2000 fxdx SUSPENSION - FRONT FORK ASSEMBLY W/ STEERING STEM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD00FXD032.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	83658
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TEERING%20STEM

So my stock fxdx fork sliders will not work with regular extended fork tubes?

Get Adobe Flash player

This is what gets confusing: "regular extended fork tubes"...which is it - regular fork tubes or extended fork tubes? What are regular extended?

The member from V-Twin forum (Answer2 above) said it could, but you need to do some things - reread it and research the other forks he references and compare the difference(s).

Get Adobe Flash player

No you can not use them without doing a lot of work... Find some different tubes that will work they are cheap because most people take them off to put on chrome ones...

Or buy the tubes from franks....

Thanks Tri that was some great information...

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    This is what gets confusing: "regular extended fork tubes"...which is it - regular fork tubes or extended fork tubes? What are regular extended?

The member from V-Twin forum (Answer2 above) said it could, but you need to do some things - reread it and research the other forks he references and compare the difference(s).
    By regular I mean not using the cartridge that comes stock. Ive read that vtwin forum and I sounds like they are talking about extending the forks with the cartridge.

Get Adobe Flash player

They are extending the cartridge and fitting extended tubes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    They are extending the cartridge and fitting extended tubes.
    But Tri will they work??

But seriously.... That is a weird looking setup...
    Last edited by Tattooo; 05-01-2018 at 8:02 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The first question should be "what's the EASIEST and LEAST EXPENSIVE TOTAL COST strategy?".

BTW never use "regular" again when you mean "conventional". It's a common mistake.

Since you don't need cartridge forks on a chopper consider buying clean used conventional forks and inexpensive tubes, then Ebaying the stock forks. You might even turn a profit, and you can assemble your replacement forks with no downtime on your bike then swap in an afternoon.
    Last edited by farmall; 05-01-2018 at 8:54 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^^^ Yes sir that's what I thought also...^^^^^ Why not save some money and time....

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    The first question should be "what's the EASIEST and LEAST EXPENSIVE TOTAL COST strategy?".

BTW never use "regular" again when you mean "conventional". It's a common mistake.

Since you don't need cartridge forks on a chopper consider buying clean used conventional forks and inexpensive tubes, then Ebaying the stock forks. You might even turn a profit, and you can assemble your replacement forks with no downtime on your bike then swap in an afternoon.

You understand what im going for. I would like to keep the stock dual brake fxdx lower fork sliders. Can i use conventional tubes with fxdx lower fork sliders?

Get Adobe Flash player

NO........

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    NO........
    Do you know why it wont work?

Get Adobe Flash player

Guys.....

Stock 2000 FXDX lowers are simply dual disc 39mm sliders. The only difference is what’s inside them that makes them FXDX. If you decide to ditch the cartridge fork internals, you will need complete standard 39mm internals which is just a standard 39mm fork tube, spring and lower damper set up. The sliders themselves are the same. Same fork sliders on all Sportsters and dynas that we’re equipped with dual discs.

You can use what you have or go with what Farmall suggested and find a complete fork set. I’ve tried to track down just dampers when I was doing a hugger to standard sporty conversion (dampers are 1.5” shorter in huggers) and came across more complete sets than parts. Plus a complete set means you won’t be missing parts if you’re trying to piece it together. You have a desirable front end for those wanting to keep a stock FXDX or Sportster S set up so you can probably end up on the plus side if you buy a standard set and sell your current set.

EITHER WAY, the sliders are the same. You can do what you want, you’ll just need to find the right parts for the internals. Don’t bother extending the cartridge internals, you have way more options with stock tubes and spring/dampers.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you know why it wont work?
    Because everything that has been posted has said it won't work.... If you think it will... DO it and come back and tell us whether is did or not...

I would find another front end but I do understand you wanting to keep the brakes you have now....

Or like BB said above look for the correct parts to make your lowers work...
    Last edited by Tattooo; 05-01-2018 at 1:59 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

You could probably get some take off lowers from an 883R. That way you can swap over your existing brakes and use conventional fork tubes. As Farmall said, you can sell your whole setup and likely come out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    Guys.....

Stock 2000 FXDX lowers are simply dual disc 39mm sliders. The only difference is what’s inside them that makes them FXDX. If you decide to ditch the cartridge fork internals, you will need complete standard 39mm internals which is just a standard 39mm fork tube, spring and lower damper set up. The sliders themselves are the same. Same fork sliders on all Sportsters and dynas that we’re equipped with dual discs.

You can use what you have or go with what Farmall suggested and find a complete fork set. I’ve tried to track down just dampers when I was doing a hugger to standard sporty conversion (dampers are 1.5” shorter in huggers) and came across more complete sets than parts. Plus a complete set means you won’t be missing parts if you’re trying to piece it together. You have a desirable front end for those wanting to keep a stock FXDX or Sportster S set up so you can probably end up on the plus side if you buy a standard set and sell your current set.

EITHER WAY, the sliders are the same. You can do what you want, you’ll just need to find the right parts for the internals. Don’t bother extending the cartridge internals, you have way more options with stock tubes and spring/dampers.
    Thank you for answering my question. I thought I made it pretty clean what I was asking.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Because everything that has been posted has said it won't work.... If you think it will... DO it and come back and tell us whether is did or not...

I would find another front end but I do understand you wanting to keep the brakes you have now....

Or like BB said above look for the correct parts to make your lowers work...
    The lowers part was his original question. Not extending the cartridge fork internals. He just wanted to keep his good sliders...Pretty simple, no need to be so damn condescending.

Share This