Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FXDXXX
    • Apr 2018

Will Extended / Over forks work with a 2000 FXDX / Super glide sport

Ive been trying to find an to the question this question. I have contacted dealers and sellers, with no answer.

Will the stock slider assembly from a 2000 FXDX accept standard aftermarket extended / over forks?

I know the stock FXDX forks are +2 over. I know the cartridges from the stock FXDX cannot be used with aftermarket extended forks. I just to add +8 aftermarket forks with new aftermarket internals. Will the stock FXDX fork sliders work with standard aftermarket fork tubes and dampeners?

Thank you.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by FXDXXX
    Ive been trying to find an to the question this question. I have contacted dealers and sellers, with no answer.

Will the stock slider assembly from a 2000 FXDX accept standard aftermarket extended / over forks?

I know the stock FXDX forks are +2 over. I know the cartridges from the stock FXDX cannot be used with aftermarket extended forks. I just to add +8 aftermarket forks with new aftermarket internals. Will the stock FXDX fork sliders work with standard aftermarket fork tubes and dampeners?

Thank you.
    Your problem not getting an answer has a lot to do with how your asking the question...

Comment

• FXDXXX
      • Apr 2018

Do I have to replace my stock fxdx fork sliders if buy +8 over forks?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Will the stock slider assembly from a 2000 FXDX accept...aftermarket extended...fork (tubes)?

Will the stock FXDX fork sliders work with...aftermarket fork tubes and dampeners?

Thank you.
        I think I figured out your question.

V-Twin forum
        Thread: Source for extended forks for FXDX?

Q: Drag Specialties has 39mm extended fork tubes, but not for the FXDX. Any of you guys know the difference in fork tubes between the FXD, FXDL, and FXDX? Or know where I can get some extended tubes?

A1: The FXDX and FXDXT have a one-off Showa cartridge fork system that NO ONE makes aftermarket parts for. Either replace bad parts with stock, replace the whole thing with aftermarket, or try to find somebody who will fabricate custom parts ...

A2: forks by frank will make them they are the same as the sportster sport , but the internals will have to be extended also I looked in to doing this for a friend . if memory serves me right you will have to make a extender rod with a hole through it and male threads on one end female on other end . fluid is actually pushed through the rod for valving . rather involved but it can be done .

so,

Franks Forks
        The leader in replacement motorcycle forks.
        945 Pitner Ave. Evanston, IL 60202 | 847-475-1003

Franks Forks custom builds fork tubes for most Harley Davidson models going back to 1949. We can replace your originals with matching stock tubes. And if you are building a custom chopper and want to rake out the front end another foot or slam it and shorten them up, Franks can supply tubes to your exact specifications.

This may help:

2000 fxdx SUSPENSION - FRONT FORK ASSEMBLY W/ STEERING STEM
        Click image for larger version

Name:	HD00FXD032.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1302133
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• FXDXXX
          • Apr 2018

So my stock fxdx fork sliders will not work with regular extended fork tubes?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

This is what gets confusing: "regular extended fork tubes"...which is it - regular fork tubes or extended fork tubes? What are regular extended?

The member from V-Twin forum (Answer2 above) said it could, but you need to do some things - reread it and research the other forks he references and compare the difference(s).
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

No you can not use them without doing a lot of work... Find some different tubes that will work they are cheap because most people take them off to put on chrome ones...

Or buy the tubes from franks....

Thanks Tri that was some great information...

Comment

• FXDXXX
                • Apr 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                This is what gets confusing: "regular extended fork tubes"...which is it - regular fork tubes or extended fork tubes? What are regular extended?

The member from V-Twin forum (Answer2 above) said it could, but you need to do some things - reread it and research the other forks he references and compare the difference(s).
                By regular I mean not using the cartridge that comes stock. Ive read that vtwin forum and I sounds like they are talking about extending the forks with the cartridge.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

They are extending the cartridge and fitting extended tubes.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                    They are extending the cartridge and fitting extended tubes.
                    But Tri will they work??

But seriously.... That is a weird looking setup...
                    Last edited by Tattooo; 05-01-2018, 8:02 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

The first question should be "what's the EASIEST and LEAST EXPENSIVE TOTAL COST strategy?".

BTW never use "regular" again when you mean "conventional". It's a common mistake.

Since you don't need cartridge forks on a chopper consider buying clean used conventional forks and inexpensive tubes, then Ebaying the stock forks. You might even turn a profit, and you can assemble your replacement forks with no downtime on your bike then swap in an afternoon.
                      Last edited by farmall; 05-01-2018, 8:54 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

^^^^^ Yes sir that's what I thought also...^^^^^ Why not save some money and time....

Comment

• FXDXXX
                          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by farmall
                          The first question should be "what's the EASIEST and LEAST EXPENSIVE TOTAL COST strategy?".

BTW never use "regular" again when you mean "conventional". It's a common mistake.

Since you don't need cartridge forks on a chopper consider buying clean used conventional forks and inexpensive tubes, then Ebaying the stock forks. You might even turn a profit, and you can assemble your replacement forks with no downtime on your bike then swap in an afternoon.

You understand what im going for. I would like to keep the stock dual brake fxdx lower fork sliders. Can i use conventional tubes with fxdx lower fork sliders?

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

NO........

Comment

• FXDXXX
                              • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                              NO........
                              Do you know why it wont work?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum