X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sny
    • Nov 2017

Changing FXDWG to mid controls

Hello,
    First post here. A few months ago I picked up a '97 FXDWG that had been sitting in a shed for years. Got it running and then started hacking on it. Stripped off the unnecessary weight, new bars, rewired stuff, made my own pipes, chopped rear fender, carved up the tank to add a gold Jesus... you know the usual. The bike is a work-in-progress but I keep it rideable between projects.

My current project is switching from forward controls to mid controls. I have a complete set of mids with all the linkages but my primary doesn't have the holes.

Anyone have the stock diagram that has mid-controls for 1997? I think it was the super glide. I'm mostly interested in seeing how the seals and support around the shifter shaft work so I can decide between making mine work or finding a used inner primary.

Here are some pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	1342770

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1342771

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	1342772
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

A pic of your forwards and mids would be more helpful than that shot of the back tire...
    here is some info from other forums that may help:

Name:	200448d1312757714-put-mid-controls-back-on-problem-shifter.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1302081

Q: Do I have to split the primary case in order to pass the original shift linkage through it? If so, it looks as though I will need a new primary gasket, the "tower" gasket, and of course fresh lubricant.

A: Yes the primary has to come apart, the mid shift shaft goes through to the inner primary case and pivots in a bushing in the inner case. You might have to replace the inner primary case as well to make it work.

A: Is the oval inspection plate on the outer primary cover flat, or does it have a cap? If it has a cap, you probably have the stock shift arm still in place (lucky you). If it's flat, the shift arm has either been cut, or the inner primary has been removed to get the arm out. With a small flashlight, & some mirrors, you should be able to get a peek at the back of the inner primary and get an idea of what was done...

Thread: Forward to mid controls fxdwg

A: I put mid mount pegs on my 99 fxdwg. I believe the part #"s were from a low rider. will be a lot cheaper to just add the pegs.

A: You'll need a new inner primary, probably a new outer too. And the mid controls, and all the the parts for an inner primary job.... You're looking at way more than 700 dollars unless you plan on doing the work yourself.

A: If you dont mind shifting 1st gear up - others down, this is a cheap solution. You get used to it pretty fast. Get a set of used mid controls from ebay. On left side use your fwd shifter but rotate it 180 degrees. Right side just use all mid controls. Cheers from Finland!
    Dyna Glide Models - Forward to mid controls fxdwg - Hi I have a fxdwg with stock mid controls..can I convert to mid controls...or is it expensive......
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• sny
      • Nov 2017

Thanks for the reply Trinort. To be more specific I’ve searched around a lot and checked the shop manual I have for 1997 but can’t find a diagram showing the inner and outer primary with the shifter shaft going through it. Trying to understand what the shaft supports and seals look like.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Maybe here:

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson® offers service and parts, and proudly serves the areas of New Ashford, Windsor, Lenox and New Lebanon.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• sny
          • Nov 2017

Great site! Thanks! Found this diagram on there. Parts 48, 47, 43, 20, 11, 4 are exactly what I was wondering about. I also found an inspection cover that has the shifter hole in it. Now I need to go look at my inner primary to see if it has area where hole would go.

Name:	493F1B57-2082-4723-AD62-C47CBF0DD0E9.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1302083

Originally posted by TriNortchopz

Comment

• sny
            • Nov 2017

Yep looks like the flat spot is there for the hole. Actually need two holes one threaded for the little bracket. I’m going to find the rest of the parts first before taking it all apart. I’ll post again when I get the rest of the stuff

Name:	2A5FB8D5-8548-49FB-9FF0-4B758F02D7D1.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1302084

Comment

• sny
              • Nov 2017

I finished this conversion. The brake side was easy, the shifter side was some work. I was able to use my original primary by drilling two holes in it and tapping one of them. Here's a pic of all the parts required for the shifter side:

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	1302453

I also posted more pics on instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi3dlf9h...y=snydergarage

Comment

• sny
                • Nov 2017

Here's a direct link to where I bought the shifter parts I was missing... https://tinyurl.com/y9l42gfx

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Useful posts!
                  I psychotically hate forward controls because I have a bad back so I might be slightly biased.

Comment

• sny
                    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by farmall
                    Useful posts!
                    I psychotically hate forward controls because I have a bad back so I might be slightly biased.
                    I’m with ya! Forward no-controls is a better name for them. They don’t let you “float” or use your lower legs to lean. If you’re just cruising lazyboy style on the open road I guess forwards are ok but if you deal with rough roads, short hills or just like to ride a little more aggressive forget em.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;