CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default V-Star 1100 Swingarm mounted fender?

So, I'm in the process of doing a little work on my V-Star. I bought a seat base from Bobbercycle and a Biltwell slimline seat. The base came with a long flat piece of steel that serves as an adapter plate to mount slimmer seats to. It runs straight over the top of the front hoop of the swingarm. I made a bracket that mounts to it and the front of my trailer fender that I bought.

Upon further inspection I found that under load the fender scrubs the tire. My thought is that I can do away with the old bracket and mount the fender to the sides of the swingarm. I made 2 little 90 degree brackets that will bolt through the top of the swingarm and then through the side of the fender. This should work right? With the monoshock setup the seat and everything compresses over bumps while the swingarm raises up correct?

Yes, you are thinking correctly about the mechanics involved. However, you might want to weld your 90* brackets onto the swingarm.

Get Adobe Flash player

Unfortunately I don't have access to a welder at the moment. I mig weld for a living, but I've never bought one. I would rather do that, but it's not an option right now. What will it hurt to bolt it down?

Get Adobe Flash player

You must have seen all the VStar threads on Chopcult including this one:
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23113
    a 650 but looks killer

In my humble opinion ... All drilled holes in frame/swingarm need to be considered entry points for water. In aviation, a lot of sealed tube structures have small amounts of linseed oil sealed inside to discourage corrosion from forming on the inside of the tubing.
    Having been around a lot of vintage Harley/Indian frames, I've seen what happens when that water freezes in the winter! Split tubing, tubing that was once square is now swollen round ... With corners?! Keep the water out!

Share This