1967 genny shovel wont start on kickstand...

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nate4d
    • Apr 2014

1967 genny shovel wont start on kickstand...

Hey yall,
    67 shovel motor
    9:1 pistons
    513g cam
    super e carb
    evo top end oiling (velvatouch)

so pretty simple issue but I have no clue what is going on.
    -COLD START bike on the kick stand and it wont start.
    -COLD START bike sitting straight up and down on a small scissor lift and it starts first kick, once the bike starts (sitting vertically) it runs amazing, then if I try to start the bike on its kick stand once its up to operating temp after riding a bit it starts flawless....??????????????????????

I have set the float level.
    no intake leaks.
    accel pump works.

I am forced to assume that I am either some how drowning the bike when its on the kick stand OR im not getting any gas when its on the kick stand. I plan to test how much the bowl fills on the side stand vs how full the bowl is standing straight up and down. any other ideas or has anyone experienced this?
  • usmc50lx
    • Jan 2013

what happens when it is running and you set it on the kickstand? Does it sputter and die or anything odd? Sounds fuel related to me

Comment

• nate4d
      • Apr 2014

that's the odd part, nothing happens when I set it down on the stand once its running. no slowing of idle and no change in how its running.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Try a cold start then when it fails immediately pull the spark plugs to check for flooding.

I suspect float adjustment is borderline because bike starts when carb is level.

Another way to check is remove the carb from the manifold leaving it connected to the fuel tank, then shine a bright light into the venturi while holding the carb at various angles to check for seepage.

Comment

• nate4d
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by farmall
          Try a cold start then when it fails immediately pull the spark plugs to check for flooding.

I suspect float adjustment is borderline because bike starts when carb is level.

Another way to check is remove the carb from the manifold leaving it connected to the fuel tank, then shine a bright light into the venturi while holding the carb at various angles to check for seepage.

Any float adjustment technique you could recommend vs just leveling the float to the casting lip in the bowl(how its currently adjusted)?

Comment

• gorgeous
            • Aug 2013

I think you are supposed to be 1/8-3/16" below the lip of the float bowl. So start there. Level seems way to high to me.

Also, I could never get my panhead to start with the enricher. I would turn the idle speed up a little and the mixture screw out maybe 3/4 of a turn. The enricher was just too much of a blunt instrument to be helpful.

Comment

• nate4d
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by gorgeous
              I think you are supposed to be 1/8-3/16" below the lip of the float bowl. So start there. Level seems way to high to me.

Also, I could never get my panhead to start with the enricher. I would turn the idle speed up a little and the mixture screw out maybe 3/4 of a turn. The enricher was just too much of a blunt instrument to be helpful.
              i will check the float first, my assumption is that jetting and most other settings are pretty close if not dead on, seeing as it runs sooooo well once it starts.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

If the carb has a bit of age on it, the float needle tip could have gotten hard and is leaking fuel by it..??

You can do a test with using a Mighty Vac to see if it holds vacuum ....
                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• nate4d
                  • Apr 2014

good call i did replace the needle about a month ago but i will take a look for flaws in that or the needle seat area.

Comment

• gorgeous
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by nate4d
                    i will check the float first, my assumption is that jetting and most other settings are pretty close if not dead on, seeing as it runs sooooo well once it starts.
                    What I meant by that was- When I went to start my panhead, the enricher on my Super E would flood it if you didnt get it just right. So instead of doing that, I would richen it up by turning the screw out and then increase the idle speed a bit to warm it up. Then once warm, put it right back to where it liked to be.

Comment

• fastfiat
                      • Oct 2014

For what its worth the super e on my panhead was very susceptible to flooding on fire up. Minimal primer shots and very little throttle on inital fire up.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by fastfiat
                        For what its worth the super e on my panhead was very susceptible to flooding on fire up. Minimal primer shots and very little throttle on inital fire up.
                        On my Knuck you don't touch the throttle.... It cranks first kick everytime once it's warm.... Two pumps no enrichener cranks first kick when it's cold...

Comment

• fastfiat
                          • Oct 2014

Sounds about right.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;