Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surfandsteel
    • Apr 2018

2" Under DNA Narrow Springer Installment on XS650

Hey everyone my name is AR I am new to Chop Cult and wanted to see if I could get some input on working on my 1979 Yamaha XS650 Chopper project. I currently have it custom hard tailed like the Fongbrothers have done in the past and now I have bought a 2" Under Narrow Springer. I have seen and read many post that all have different situations on how to install/get to fit the stock XS650 Frame. Any help would be much appreciated.

Things needed to install:
    - 1" Bearings
    - XS650 Stock Racers
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Surfandsteel
    Hey everyone my name is AR I am new to Chop Cult and wanted to see if I could get some input on working on my 1979 Yamaha XS650 Chopper project. I currently have it custom hard tailed like the Fongbrothers have done in the past and now I have bought a 2" Under Narrow Springer. I have seen and read many post that all have different situations on how to install/get to fit the stock XS650 Frame. Any help would be much appreciated.

Things needed to install:
    - 1" Bearings
    - XS650 Stock Racers
    Here is some info, which you may "have seen and read":

Yamaha XS650 Springer Conversion Kit with Steering Neck Bearings $149.00

f you have an aftermarket Harley Davidson Springer front end, and you would like to install it on a 1970-1983 Yamaha XS650 or TX650, then this is the kit you need.

This kit features a Moto Iron™ brand upper triple clamp & locknut that has been custom machined to fit the OEM XS650 steering neck tube.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	113-0061_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1302043
    Kit also includes the necessary Metric-to-SAE conversion bearing races and bearings to make your metric neck fit the standard 1" steering stem found on aftermarket Harley Davidson® style springer front ends.

This kit is a direct bolt-on fit for springer front ends manufactured by:
    Moto Iron™,
    Paughco Inc™,
    DNA Specialty™,
    Hardbody by Mid USA™.

Riser spacing is 4-3/4" center to center.

also available here:
    Yamaha XS650 Springer Conversion Kit with Steering Neck Bearings If you have an aftermarket Harley Davidson Springer front end, and you would like to install it on a 1970-1983 Yamaha XS650 or TX650, then this is the kit you need. Features: This kit features a Moto Iron™ brand upper triple clamp & locknut that has b

Yamaha XS650 Springer Installation Instructions

2009 Thread: Putting a 1" springer on an Xs650 (no cutting/welding)

which includes this answer by Tigman:
    "...I checked on this a couple of weeks ago. The HD neck is a total of 7.040 long (give or take) and the xs650 is like 7 7/16" long (forget exactly I'm not looking at my notes) so you would have to modify the (jamb)nut so that you have room to install the cap nut on the very top.. cleanest way is on the lathe to do that but you could just hack it off and clean it up I guess... my reference was taken from the DNA springer.. "
    I like the idea of cutting down the nut as compared to cutting the neck of the frame.

2013 Thread: springer front end on xs650 neck
    Which includes this answer by Reid:
    "I have seen somewhere on the web a how to for installing a DNA and the only thing that stood out as unusual was the nut under the top clamp had to be cut down by 1/2" or so. Both are made to fit a harley neck so you may have to do something similar..."
    I know this subject has been covered before, but I can't get my acme springer to fit. i got the 1 inch harley neck bearings, it seems that the bearings do not fit deep enough into the race and I can't get the top clamp on.. it's almost like the stem is too short. any guidance or detailed pics... i'll post some pics myself.

2013 Wanted - Parts needed to install DNA Springer on xs650
    member 650 bobber boy says, "Ardcore sell a kit for like $140 makes a DNA springer a straight Bolton..."

2017 Thread: DNA + Virago = cool bobber an install of the DNA springer on a 250 Virago

n 'The Chopper Shed'

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale..

Name:	CAFViragoSpringer-17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1302044

"wondered if we could throw a springer onto his rigid 250 Virago...we measured up for the springer, but didn't have the time available to pull the front end off and check the bearing sizes. Alternatives would be to either space HD bearings in the virago or make a new headstem for the springer to match the virago bearings."

Of interest; 2016 thread: Terry's XS650 chopper...
    which includes chopping the frame by extending the front rails

Name:	CAFTerryXS-08.jpg
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	1302045

and this XS650:

Name:	CAFWaynesxs650-01.jpg
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	1302046

and this one:
    "XS 650 motor, CB750 forks and front wheel, Yamaha 250 steering head, Yamaha 1100 rear brake caliper, Harley rear wheel... rest built in house."

and
    2012 thread: Steffs xs#1... Rake and stretch
    "Backbone heated at the bend and headstem is pulled up about 4". Then we put in the triple trees forks and a front wheel so the rake can be set up to allow the chopper to sit level with 4.5" ground clearance..."
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
    Working...
    ;