CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default '06 Dyna Fab Build

Hello fellas, my first post, so sort of a intro as I start a build thread.

I'm 59, retired and disabled, but still above ground, so to give myself a reason I'm going to attempt to build a bike around a '06 Dyna engine/trans.

The plan is to fab most it of together, I'll be photo documenting as I move along. This is going to be a long, drawn out process as my funds are very limited, hopefully networking with members here might help me find parts at a discount. As for anyone out there reading this who is budgeted like me, this might inspire them to move on an idea.

Gonna start with the engine: '06 Dyna found on Ebay.

I have been looking for some time for just the right deal on an engine, checking on line, the usual places, Ebay, Craigslist...etc..etc...

Found the engine this weekend where the asking price was $800+$150 shipping, I made an offer of $500+shipping and the owner accepted. Going in the morn to deposit funds and close the deal. Got it cheap because it is damaged, I think that I can repair it myself. Let me get it paid for and up on my bench and I'll come back with details and photos.

~DJ~

Get Adobe Flash player

Have a plan to title the result. There are many posts on the subject. Look for info applicable to your state.

To control costs (what is not measured is not controlled) do a spreadsheet to compare different parts options.

You want a factory service manual and parts catalog. That's vital to saving money and knowing what goes where.
    Last edited by farmall; 04-23-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Have a plan to title the result. There are many posts on the subject. Look for info applicable to your state.
    I talked with NYS DMV before I ever decided to take on this project, they are sending me a packet with the needed forms and detailed instructions as to what has to happen to obtain a title for a homemade motorcycle.

To control costs (what is not measured is not controlled) do a spreadsheet to compare different parts options.
    Sheets and index folders ready and waiting.

You want a factory service manual and parts catalog. That's vital to saving money and knowing what goes where.
    This will be a near future purchase, indispensable reference material for sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good. I presume you'll be converting to carb? Best bang for buck is usually a used factory Keihin CV carb and an Altmann or Thunderheart ignition, so study those options.

Is your engine complete with primary and trans? I rarely mess with Twin Cams hence don't know the best options to fit your engine. vtwinforum and harleytechtalk could be useful for that.

You can search the web and torrent sites for free "Harley service manuals" Nobody seems to scan parts catalogs, but used books on Ebay are common. Service and parts books from earlier and later years can be quite handy too but aren't mandatory.

When searching I use a browser with ad blocking and popup blocking add-ons and (for everything) a good hosts file.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I don't use the same browser for online shopping etc. They are free and don't get jealous of each other.

Here's a good link for a 2009 Dyna manual. https://www.carlsalter.com/pdfs/Harl...anual-Full.pdf
    Last edited by farmall; 04-23-2018 at 4:06 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good. I presume you'll be converting to carb? Best bang for buck is usually a used factory Keihin CV carb and an Altmann or Thunderheart ignition, so study those options.

Is your engine complete with primary and trans? I rarely mess with Twin Cams hence don't know the best options to fit your engine. vtwinforum and harleytechtalk could be useful for that.

You can search the web and torrent sites for free "Harley service manuals" Nobody seems to scan parts catalogs, but used books on Ebay are common. Service and parts books from earlier and later years can be quite handy too but aren't mandatory.

When searching I use a browser with ad blocking and popup blocking add-ons and (for everything) a good hosts file. I don't use the same browser for online shopping etc. They are free and don't get jealous of each other.
    I was wondering about the aspiration, stock is EFI, I'll have to compare cost of EFI vs. Normally aspirated, I will be looking at what's needed for each set up. Personally I lean towards normally aspirated because of it's simplicity compared to having to tune the EFI for pipe changes and such, I suspect that the normal carb set up is the frugal choice.

I have been looking at ignition retailers, trying compare costs while evaluating product, I will research Altmann and Thunderheart, thanks for the heads up.

The following links are a two that sparked my interest.

These guys are loaded and some of the prices seem very fair:
    http://www.legendmcs.com/index.html

And I looked over Dynatech:
    http://www.dynaonline.com/default.aspx

I also have looked at a ton of stuff on Amazon and Ebay.

As to the tranny and primary gear, I didn't get those, I'll have to shop those soon though as they are needed for chassis mock up, I'll have to rebuild my cash, probably 60 days out before I go after the trans, during the time in between I have to revamp my shop (it's a disaster area now), and after I clean I'll bench the engine and detail it as much as I can.

You sound like me, I use Add Blocker Plus and Ultimate Add Blocker in a Firefox browser and I use the TOR Onion VPN for torrent acquisition and download.

Get Adobe Flash player

So, I'm reading about this Dyna, specs, stuff like that, bouncing around, playing catch up, and to show how far I am behind.....

They SMOG Harley cycles now, WTF? I had no idea that they put MAF sensors and O2 sensors and stuff like that on newer machines. Here in NY cycles are exempt from SMOG testing, which is good for me, cause I don't really want that on my build. Now I understand about the carb question. See, I knew there were issues with changing the pipes because a buddy of mine went through it when he tried to upgrade his pipes DIY, he told me that it had to go to a shop to be done correctly.

Do the newer bikes also have cat converters in the pipes? WTF?

Maybe I should of waited and got something older without SMOG. I'm confident though that some clever builders have found a work around, and for now, that's direction I'm going.
    Last edited by 12w3e4r; 04-25-2018 at 4:11 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The engine is here, I can't lift it alone, plus it's showers outside, too slippery horse around a twin cam by myself, gotta get some help, maybe tomorrow I'll get some pictures. The engine arrived bagged in plastic, there's oil everywhere inside the bag, the engine is covered in it. I think I'll build a temporary engine stand out of wood for now, upgrade to steel later. I'm gonna photograph the damage and post the pics, I have an Idea on the repair, but suggestions from you guys are welcome, more tomorrow.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 12w3e4r View Post
    So, I'm reading about this Dyna, specs, stuff like that, bouncing around, playing catch up, and to show how far I am behind.....

They SMOG Harley cycles now, WTF? I had no idea that they put MAF sensors and O2 sensors and stuff like that on newer machines. Here in NY cycles are exempt from SMOG testing, which is good for me, cause I don't really want that on my build. Now I understand about the carb question. See, I knew there were issues with changing the pipes because a buddy of mine went through it when he tried to upgrade his pipes DIY, he told me that it had to go to a shop to be done correctly.

Do the newer bikes also have cat converters in the pipes? WTF?

Maybe I should of waited and got something older without SMOG. I'm confident though that some clever builders have found a work around, and for now, that's direction I'm going.
    LMAO ....

I just picked up an 09 Dyna.

I was shocked to see O2 sensors on it too.

Crazy high tech shit.

I'm old school mechanical only.

This bike might as well be a space shuttle to me.

But, it is pretty damn cool.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pic of the engine, woke up sore back this morn, didn't do anything much today other than take a few pictures.

Left click on image to expand.

Get Adobe Flash player

I stumbled into a gold mine this morning....

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15284

Get Adobe Flash player

Bought a softail swing arm today, I looked at a bunch of them on Ebay, this one was asking $60+35 shipping, I offered $40+35 and the offer was accepted.

It was the only one I found with the pivot bushings still in place, and the price was right, I can't reproduce/fabricate this part for $75.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 12w3e4r View Post
    Bought a softail swing arm today, I looked at a bunch of them on Ebay, this one was asking $60+35 shipping, I offered $40+35 and the offer was accepted.

It was the only one I found with the pivot bushings still in place, and the price was right, I can't reproduce/fabricate this part for $75.
    I had an 07 dyna that i carb'd,literally all i did was use an evo manifold and s&s super e carb,I let the factory computer run the ignition timing.I put the map sensor in the location of the voes switch in the evo manifold.Fucker ran good,a carb'd 96 was a monster,plus i could dial the idle down from retard high to a nice 750-800

Get Adobe Flash player

The plan us to use a stock carb, and I'm thinking about using the Thunder Heart ignition.

But my next buy will be the swing arm stanchions.

Those plates attach to the main frame, I could probably fabricate them, but for time savings and because they are precision cut they are worth paying up for. I'll be buying the steering neck soon too, beyond those two items I'll be fabing the rest of the frame from steel tubing, at least that's the plan.

http://www.mechwerks.com/MechWerks_softail_parts.htm

Around a $100 including shipping.

Get Adobe Flash player

you're building a softail frame? maybe i can help. I'm getting ready to hardtail my 92 softy. ill be cutting into my bike in next week or two, if you need something dm me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by oatmealman View Post
    ...plus i could dial the idle down from retard high to a nice 750-800
    Off on a tangent - What is retard high?
    I was taught they are supposed to idle at a grand.
    People that are trying to imitate a shovel at idle with a twinkie are asking for trouble.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    People that are trying to imitate a shovel at idle with a twinkie are asking for trouble.

Yes sir you are right.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 53panhead View Post
    Yes sir you are right.
    I read about that here:

Harley Oil Pressure Tech
    Harley Oil Pressure drops at Idle

This is common. Your oil pump gears are moving a lot slower at idle. Try to keep your r.p.m. a little higher 800-850. The low idle sounds really cool, although it is horrible for oil pressure.

https://ertproducts.com/harley-oil-pressure-tech

and here:
    Twin Cam Oiling System Basics
    Avoid oiling problems while building a bulletproof oiling system
    https://www.baggersmag.com/twin-cam-...em-basics-tech

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    Off on a tangent - What is retard high?
    not trying to imitate a shovel,its been a few years since i owned the bike but i did a high volume pump and a pressure spring mod,bike made about 10psi hot idle and 40ish running down the highway,and retarded high is 1k plus. I run my shovel at about 650.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Gvermin View Post
    you're building a softail frame? maybe i can help. I'm getting ready to hardtail my 92 softy. ill be cutting into my bike in next week or two, if you need something dm me.
    Your '92 rear section will work.
    Private message sent.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by oatmealman View Post
    not trying to imitate a shovel,its been a few years since i owned the bike but i did a high volume pump and a pressure spring mod,bike made about 10psi hot idle and 40ish running down the highway,and retarded high is 1k plus. I run my shovel at about 650.
    For me 800 rpm on a Shovel and 1000 on a Twin cam... Lower than that your just lugging the motor... That's very hard on the bottom end... That also goes for ridding I don't let my bike get below 2000 up a hill or in the mountains.....

Share This