Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattman296
    • Apr 2018

1974 Sportster XLCH 1000 carb help

I need some advice to get this bike going. 1st issue is getting the old carburetor off and selecting a new one. I am not concerned about keeping it original, I want to rebuild it to be reliable and safe. From what I have read so far a CV carb is a solid reliable way to go. If I buy a new one will I also need a new throttle assy as the one on the bike is a single cable. Its kick start only. Ideally I would like to purchase a carb that I can install and its ready to go as I know nothing about rebuilding or jetting a carb. Bike looks really good now but mechanically its a mess!

Front master cyclinder rebuilt.
    Tank rust removed and recoated
    Rear brake linkage fixed
    Seat mounted properly

Click image for larger version

Name:	31108336_10214577812546286_5828469120729322307_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1342755
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

That's a damn nice looking bike...

Since you say you know nothing about carbs, You need to learn because you can't buy a carb that you can just bolt on and go unless your very lucky...
    The first thing to do is buy or down load a Harley manual for that year motor and start reading if you really want to ride an old bike...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Tattooo
      That's a damn nice looking bike...

Since you say you know nothing about carbs, You need to learn because you can't buy a carb that you can just bolt on and go unless your very lucky...
      The first thing to do is buy or down load a Harley manual for that year motor and start reading if you really want to ride an old bike...
      This may help; lots to read at that site: http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Thread: 38mm VM Mikuni tuning recommendations
      "Recently I installed a 38mm VM mikuni carb on my 74 ironhead that had been sitting for a little over a year. Ive done all the regular maintenance, oil change, adjusted the points, etc.

My bike is all stock aside from the carb. It had a fresh rebuild about 5000 miles ago. The barely used carb came off of a running 73 iron head (he decided to go with a S&S Super E)

The bike starts in just 1 or 2 kicks every time, but won't idle without the choke or some throttle. It takes excessive throttle to get it moving then runs pretty well at the top end. Do you guys have any recommendations for jetting and tuning?"

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• WillSCB
        • Dec 2014

I was actually going to suggest the Mikuni VM prior to the above post. They work very well on ironheads, aren't overly complicated, and you can still use your single cable set up. You can find them pretty reasonably priced, too.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
          This may help; lots to read at that site: http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Thread: 38mm VM Mikuni tuning recommendations
          "Recently I installed a 38mm VM mikuni carb on my 74 ironhead that had been sitting for a little over a year. Ive done all the regular maintenance, oil change, adjusted the points, etc.

My bike is all stock aside from the carb. It had a fresh rebuild about 5000 miles ago. The barely used carb came off of a running 73 iron head (he decided to go with a S&S Super E)

The bike starts in just 1 or 2 kicks every time, but won't idle without the choke or some throttle. It takes excessive throttle to get it moving then runs pretty well at the top end. Do you guys have any recommendations for jetting and tuning?"

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=786899

Yep Tri Mikunis are great carbs.. But with him having drag pipes I don't know, Like I said above hope he's lucky to just bolt it on and go....

But read read and read some more...

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

By the way I'm not sure who put the armor all on the bike tires but I hope they have to ride it and not to make it pretty just to sell it...

Comment

• mattman296
              • Apr 2018

I picked the bike up with all that tire shlube on the wheels, I was a little suprised myself how loaded it was.

Comment

• mattman296
                • Apr 2018

I am removing the short pipes and putting on mid length drag pipes on it and plan to wrap with tape.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mattman296
                  and plan to wrap with tape.

Please don't do that........

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

I'd scrub the slime off the tires with something like Simple Green or TSP, otherwise if you ride in the wet you may be in for an unpleasant surprise when you try to stop.

Comment

• Irondead
                      • Apr 2018

Have a look at S&S, they offer a bunch of good carbs that are very easy to re-jet/tune etc. They also have plenty of videos online about how to set their carbs up and make adjustments if you get stuck.

Comment

• mattman296
                        • Apr 2018

I went with Mikuni, I could not spend that much for an S&S in good conscious not knowing if she will even run. Should be firing it up by the weekend. Found a Linkert manifold adaptor and hooked it all up yesterday. Tank is still out getting treated, was full of rust. Fingers crossed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_124632.jpg
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	1302105Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_124632.jpg
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	1302105

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

^^^^^^^^ That was a much better choice of a carb...^^^^^^ Much better than a S$S........

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

S&S have an overly large venturi for an Ironhead. They got popular when there weren't a lot of alternatives and of course that sexy air filter housing sold more carbs then folks might like to admit.

Comment

• lilmad
                              • Jan 2011

I had a Mikuni 38 on my 74 IH and it was good, sometimes a little hard to start when hot so i tried an old bendix i had off a shovel and it has been perfect, no issues starts first kick. The bike has drag pipes too .

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;