Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boylecomm
    • Jun 2009

2000 Sportster Treatment

I've been meaning to start this thread for months now so I'll begin with back tracking to catch up to where I'm at right now.

Thanksgiving 09 I picked up this 02 1200 Sporty with 1500 miles on the clock. $3500.
    It sat in the garage until the end of march when I finally had some time to get into it.
    Style wise I'm not completely sure where it's headed all I really want out of it is a fun ride that looks decent. Hell I might even put some turn signals on it?

Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2010, 9:54 AM.
  • Boylecomm
    • Jun 2009

The first thing I did was shave and polish the legs & clamps. I'm keeping the front brakes.

Comment

• Boylecomm
      • Jun 2009

Then I went to work cutting down the ridiculously large brake pedal, pulley & cam covers.
      I decided I liked the size of the passenger pegs instead of the ham fisted awkward size and shape of the stockers, so they'll be the riders pegs. Proportions?
      Also a little mock up feel with bars & tank, none of which is set in stone.

Comment

• Boylecomm
        • Jun 2009

I couldn't handle the logos, casting lines and black crinkle paint on the calipers so I cleaned them up a bit.

Since I don't live in "Frisco" Whatever tank I end up with I'd like it to sit a little low so I cut down the motor mount. Also in attempt to clean things up a bit I relocated the coil and choke.

Next week fresh wheels/tires and get the fender worked out.

Comment

• billdozer
          • Apr 2024

Take notes fellas, this will be one nice "modder".

Comment

• HFMC
            • Feb 2010

I just picked up exactly the same bike for my daughter last week, so I'll be watching this thread closely for inspiration.

Comment

• jwhite
              • Feb 2010

Very nice job cleaning up everything. Fork legs and trees look killer, as do the calipers.
              What did you use to strip the wrinkle finish on the calipers? Stripper or did you painstakingly grind em down and polish them? They look especially good!

Good start man.

Comment

• jwhite
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by HFMC
                I just picked up exactly the same bike for my daughter last week, so I'll be watching this thread closely for inspiration.

Yeah, I started with the same exact bike too. Bought it new in Nov. of 01.

Comment

• NHMike
                  • Apr 2024

Looking great man! I'm hoping to pick up an Evo Sporty in the next few weeks, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Comment

• bobbed06
                    • May 2010

Hell yeah

Man I love me some EVO sporty builds. that thing would look sweet with a plus 4 swingarm a nice oil tank and a swingarm mounted fender.

Comment

• Leiffireeater80
                      • Jan 2010

man that bike is going to be sweet. I've been trying for months to find a sportster in that price range for a project and nothing is coming up. I dig the tank, bar combo.

Comment

• Nicko
                        • Sep 2009

C'mon man, spill it on how you cleaned up those calipers so well! Not just the stripping, but the overall uniformity of the grinding/scotch bright/sanding....they look great.

Comment

• Boylecomm
                          • Jun 2009

I used the air sander to grind off the casting lines and those odd logo frame deals. Then the deburring wheel to remove as much of the paint as I could this also smooths out any ripples and deep scratches. The crevices of paint that were left I used marine stripper and wire brush, then I polished everything just shy of a mirror finish.
                          This all does take some time and even I get bored with it so I do it all in a few steps/days mostly because I know I'll be stoked on the finished product that won't be half assed.

This will help: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156

Sorry there Bobbed06 but in my eyes Harleys are too long to begin with and I'm not at all a fan of swing arm mounted fenders. No offense it's just not my thing. Proportionate, low and nimble is what I'm after.

Comment

• tobiism
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Boylecomm
                            I used the air sander to grind off the casting lines and those odd logo frame deals. Then the deburring wheel to remove as much of the paint as I could this also smooths out any ripples and deep scratches. The crevices of paint that were left I used marine stripper and wire brush, then I polished everything just shy of a mirror finish.
                            This all does take some time and even I get bored with it so I do it all in a few steps/days mostly because I know I'll be stoked on the finished product that won't be half assed.

This will help: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156

Sorry there Bobbed06 but in my eyes Harleys are too long to begin with and I'm not at all a fan of swing arm mounted fenders. No offense it's just not my thing. Proportionate, low and nimble is what I'm after.
                            Your eye for detail and your determination blow me away man.
                            Great stuff!

Comment

• mike1407
                              • Jan 2010

Damn good looking bike, looking foward to the rest

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;