Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Artfuleye62
    • Apr 2018

Plunger Frame Old School look with Evo

I need some help here. Please. Calling on all old school knowledgeable builders. Please be kind this is my heart and soul we are dealing with.
    I have a plunger frame 6 over I need help identifying.
    Everything I have learned, puts it closest to an Amen Savior Sportster frame.
    Will my evo fit.? It looks to be close and tight which I like.
    Pics below.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Artfuleye62; 04-19-2018, 8:45 AM.
  • shovel625
    • Mar 2018

a evo what? big twin? no....evo sporty, maybe. looks like it was made for a early ironhead, left side brake right side shift

Comment

• Artfuleye62
      • Apr 2018

Yes Sir. That is what I was told. The springs are rock hard and I am currently beating the axle out so I can stick a back tire on it and measure for forks.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Artfuleye62
        I need some help here. Please. Calling on all old school knowledgeable builders. Please be kind this is my heart and soul we are dealing with.
        I have a plunger frame 6 over I need help identifying.
        Everything I have learned, puts it closest to an Amen Savior Sportster frame.

Pics below.
        It's not an Amen frame, as they had the axle through the centre of the spring - that one has an axle plate behind the spring - the most common of that plunger style were made by Santee, known as their softail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	santeeframes.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1301937
        Here is one I built using a KZ1105:

Name:	Z 1105 Santee chop.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1301931
        and those plunger style parts available from British Cycle Supply

Name:	Santee softail parts.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	1301932
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-19-2018, 11:39 PM. Reason: add image of Santee ad
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

I don't believe it's a Savior As far as I know they all had the axle through the center of the spring
          like this\

Name:	saviorad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1301933
          Dusty
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

I have a plunger frame 6 over..Sportster frame.
            Will my evo fit.? It looks to be close and tight which I like.
            Pics below.
            Here are a few CC threads on fitting an Evo into an ironhead frame:

2009 Thread: Can you fit an Evo powerplant into an Ironhead Frame?
            A:from StoneHead: "I did it this summer but you have to weld new front motor mounts, or cut some new plates. I had a paughco rigid for an 80 iron head and a 97 buell s1. pics on my profile. cut out the iron head frame mounts and welded in new ones. might have been easier in high insight to just custom make new mounting plates. "
            Without any serious modifications? I just came across an evo motor for cheap, and I already have the Ironhead frame. Anyone ever try shoehorning them together?

2014 Thread: My evo engine/ironhead frame build by lochenjons:
            ..."Frankenstein projects with parts from several different bikes...its an 89 evo bottom end with s&s 1200 top end (I think, po said it was an 80 cu in which I thought didn't sound right). It's in a 60's ironhead frame (I think)...started thinking how strange it was that an evo motor fit so easily in a 60's frame so after doing some research I learned that there's clearance issues with the rear rocker box...plan at this point is to tunnel out the rocker box so the frame goes "thru"it. Not sure if it's gonna work with oil passages etc...Pulled one of the heads and its a 3 5/8 bore with a cylinder height of 5" which according to s&s makes it an 89 cu in...Btw rear cylinder fits!"
            First off, first post, so hi. Been a lurker for awhile and decided on posting up my build. I really try to avoid buying Frankenstein projects with parts from several different bikes but this was a good deal and I couldn't pass it up. The story I got from the PO was that he bought it as it is and the owner before him built

2010 Thread: ironhead frame / evo motor. can it be done ?
            A: by xllance: "I know I've seen a four speed evo in an 82' frame and it looked like all they changed was the top motor mount."
            A: by imtheslime: "here are some ih frame dimensions."
            A: by sharby: "I am in the middle of a 74 Ironhead project, I have stuffed a 92 evo 1200 into the frame,
            the rear mounts needed 5/8in spacers on the two top mounts, top center mount lined up great,
            front mounts were a little more work I had to grind off the stand offs and make a new set of mounts. didn't really take long. I also had to remove the kickstand assembly and left side foot peg mount. Im going to relocate the kickstand further forward. I had to notch out about 3/8 inch from the backbone right near the rear tank mount, put in a piece of flat stock and welded up for strength...I had talked to a lot of people about this build before i started and most all of them told me it wasnt going to happen, that the evo would never fit in that frame..... thats what made me try it. it took a lot of chin scratching but its in there.
            "
            Gonna pick up my 80' ironhead frame sometime this week if it's not bent up and rusted. I was wondering if I come across a deal on an evo sporty motor could I pull this off? I am willing to do some fabbing and whatnot but would it even come close to fitting the frame? I'll probably go with an ironhead but need to know just in
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• shovel625
              • Mar 2018

Yes Sir. That is what I was told. The springs are rock hard and I am currently beating the axle out so I can stick a back tire on it and measure for forks.

those front mounts are def sportster

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Do you have a frame with a title? Do you have a donor bike or is this bits'n'pieces?

You have a variety of options. Give us an overview of the project to help us help you.

Comment

• Artfuleye62
                  • Apr 2018

Yes sir, but the Harley 74 looks to be the closest. Hard for me to tell I ve been working long hours and haven't had the time to look, I was told the plungers would have numbers on them if it was indeed an amen. I cannot really tell if this frame had been coated or if it's corrosion.

Comment

• Artfuleye62
                    • Apr 2018

It's the project in the picture Sir, I have everything the motor the frame etc. What I do with my paperwork is neither here nor there.

Comment

• Artfuleye62
                      • Apr 2018

Thank you all for the insight, I know it can be done, However I will not be cutting on this frame, I will sell it and buy one that I won't have to molest to get what I want.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

FYI the title question wasn't "intruding" into what you do with your paperwork but relevant to the various options one has with older frames being modified which may conveniently include an existing title. Unless a machine is never registered for the street that is an important part of planning a build. Don't get your panties in a wad when that's mentioned.

Many noobs (and plenty of old fuckers) get bit by what they think they know about titles from old wives tales then bleed money sorting them out. That's why I remind people. You came here for free help. That's relevant help, demonstrated by many posts from builders who neglected a title plan.

Proper modification isn't molestation. I'm not sure why you would even use that word when it comes to a chopper. Even if you mod nothing, that's worth understanding. If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be asking. Everyone starts somewhere so take care not to be hard headed.

If you are uncomfortable modifying frames or having them professionally altered, you might consider a new custom frame incorporating the plunger suspension of your preference.

A frame modded by a pro is as good as a new one. It's steel tubing, not a marble statue. That chassis isn't valuable so if you decide you want a plunger suspension and you find the parts serviceable there's little reason not to use it for a donor if you can't source the parts elsewhere. If you view it as a "plunger rear section" that can be migrated to other frames that's more logical if you must have a plunger suspension.

BTW now and forever refer to engines SPECIFICALLY.
                        Evo big twins are interchangeable but their primary and transmissions differ by model. Evo Sportsters come in solid and rubbermount flavors.

You'll be riding the result, not us, so get what YOU want. Study so you want wisely. With some looking you can recognise frame styles at a glance. There is much more homework than it might seem, but homework doesn't cost anything and saves shitloads of money.

Comment

• Artfuleye62
                          • Apr 2018

Thank you for the insight

Comment

• BigChief612
                            • Mar 2017

Can someone tell me if these plunger style frames were available pre 70? I'm looking at getting one but the guy knows nothing about the frame, I'm not interested in building a iron head so I also need any help I can get in identifying this frame before I buy it and find out it's not what I need or want. From the Santee pages posted on this thread it looks like the 74 big twin frame but the guy says no numbers so I think it's got to be pre 70s

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by BigChief612
                              Can someone tell me if these plunger style frames were available pre 70? I'm looking at getting one but the guy knows nothing about the frame, I'm not interested in building a iron head so I also need any help I can get in identifying this frame before I buy it and find out it's not what I need or want. From the Santee pages posted on this thread it looks like the 74 big twin frame but the guy says no numbers so I think it's got to be pre 70s
                              Maybe something in these 8 pages of:
                              AMEN SAVIOR FRAME HISTORY ✓

Name:	ANd9GcRJ2U7tqZ3MAqQprM9ujPw1qD3nXTRByIb5PJF6-xS0wrtsPVDj.jpg
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1305505

Name:	ANd9GcRm5HsP7kMvXUzTejnMW4YGVkyY-2G6R_sPU1efWJL3C3XGtFAR.jpg
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1305506

Name:	ANd9GcT_BrfcypgWKWwro2Ssv0-aSxcXK8Nft1zEGS9ZU1NDhnx1Y-lJLA.jpg
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1305507

These plunger style chopper frames were available in the 70's, but not sure if they were before that.
                              I had several of them (Amen and Santee style) for Z-1s, Honda 750s, Yamaha 650, Honda 450 which easily accepted a Triumph unit 650; none of them had frame numbers...

Can you post a pic of the one you are looking at?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;