X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firstripholdmybeer
    • Apr 2018

Rigid Frame or Hardtail install?

Hey CC,

New member here and my first post. Thanks ahead of time for reading and any replies.

I just got a '96 sportster and was going to install the TC Bros Hardtail. Then a friend of mine suggested saving a little and finding an aftermarket rigid frame instead.

Opinions on this?

I'm also curious if it's possible to mount my EVO in any of the Original Harley Rigid frames along with everything else?

Thanks all!
  • TimB1640
    • Nov 2009

Well if you go with a hardtail section you won't have to deal with all the hassles of a special construction title since you would retain the original vin # . As far as an aftermarket frame goes you would have to use a frame that would specifically accept the motor that you're using. Another words your motor won't fit in a frame made for a big twin and I wouls also think that you would have to make sure that the frame would be compatible with the year of your motor. I'm sure that there are much more knowledgeable people that can chime in here for you

Comment

• WillSCB
      • Dec 2014

If you or a buddy have the welding skills, the hardtail for your frame is the way to go, because it alleviates the aforementioned DMV hassles. As far as a rigid frame, any frame designed for a non rubbermount Evo motor will work, but again you will need the MSO, and you will have to go through all the hassles of registering and having a special construction bike inspected.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

If it's your only motorcycle ya might want to put some miles on it while studying your options in detail. Get the factory service manual and parts catalog (not aftermarket manuals) and plan your whole project from axle to axle so the result fits how you'll use the Sporty.

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by WillSCB
          If you or a buddy have the welding skills, the hardtail for your frame is the way to go, because it alleviates the aforementioned DMV hassles. As far as a rigid frame, any frame designed for a non rubbermount Evo motor will work, but again you will need the MSO, and you will have to go through all the hassles of registering and having a special construction bike inspected.
          question answered, wasn't considering the titling issues when I typed this, and not planning on having to deal with it. I'll go with the weld on afterall. Thanks for that!

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
            • Apr 2018

Originally posted by farmall
            If it's your only motorcycle ya might want to put some miles on it while studying your options in detail. Get the factory service manual and parts catalog (not aftermarket manuals) and plan your whole project from axle to axle so the result fits how you'll use the Sporty.
            thanks for the advice, I'll do that!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;