Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kendall666
    • Oct 2011

Tympanium with a mag on a triumph

Anyone out there running just the tympanium with a magneto and getting power to their lights? This is the set up that I followed and I have power to my switch but not my tail light, head light or brake light. I guess it could be a bad switch but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any luck with this set up/diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	1E1DDEB6-3C16-4DAA-8B3F-1118169A36D9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1342741
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by kendall666
    Anyone out there running just the tympanium with a magneto and getting power to their lights? This is the set up that I followed and I have power to my switch but not my tail light, head light or brake light. I guess it could be a bad switch but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any luck with this set up/diagram

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83349[/ATTACH]
    The Tympanium is a simple setup and it looks like ya got that wired correctly for negative ground;see pdf instructions here:

You got power to switch, but your diagram shows the switch wired just to the headlight; I would have the red wire to the switch first, which you described.
    Did you measure the voltage at the red wire connected to your switch? What about the voltage comin' out of the switch?
    The other important part of the system is good grounds; are the lights properly grounded - with a ground wire from the forks to the frame so the ground is not through the neck bearings?
    If that is all good, then it should work. You tested the LEDs?

Here is a bit of good reading from a CC Thread; Triumph Wiring:
    Well I am to the wiring point and gonna admit im a little scared. I will give you guys the run down and pray for help. I will be running a head light tail light, points, sparkx regulator capacitor battery eliminator so obviously no battery and a dual lead coil. One big question I have is do I just run one condenser or two and
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• kendall666
      • Oct 2011

Thank you for the response and the links. My grounds are to the headlight bolts that hold the lights to the mounts. I know they have internal grounding positions so I think I should switch it back to them. I have tested all the lights before installation and everything worked. I have not checked the voltage coming out of the switch yet. I guess what I'll have to do is check all my grounds and make sure nothing is loose. I'm sure its something simple. I appreciate your input!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Ya, good grounds will help, especially for the headlight - one often forgotten.

Since we're talking Brit, here is technical info on other bits from CBS:

Our Technical Files page will have all the information to help you troubleshoot any issue and also keep your motorcycle on the road running strong. Feel free to download, save, or share any of the information you find...
        Find all your instructions and files here on our Technical Files page. We have instructions for Boyer Bransden ignitions, Pazon ignitions, Lucas diagrams, and more.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• kendall666
          • Oct 2011

Will definitely start with the grounds, I changed out my original switch as well since it was getting power but not putting anything out. Will keep you posted on how things go. Thanks again.

Comment

• datadavid
            • Oct 2014

I wasnt aware that you could run the tympanium without a battery or capacitor of some kind

Comment

• kendall666
              • Oct 2011

I'm pretty sure you can if you stator can keep up with the voltage that is being drawn.

Also I think i figured out my problem. My lights were poorly grounded. I'm going to bring the ground wire from each headlight to the ground position on the tympanium, which would in theory(or in my head) complete the circuit. I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

• drumbum
                • Mar 2013

I am running a similar set up with all LED's and had to add in a small pilot light so that the rectifier would send power to the lights. This is down to the LED's not drawing enough current. I am running the unit with the separate lighting delay circuit though this may be useful.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by datadavid
                  I wasnt aware that you could run the tympanium without a battery or capacitor of some kind
                  That is outlined in the BCS Tympanium instruction link above, in the heading; Battery Eliminator:
                  If the battery is removed or disconnected the unit regulates system voltage over the full range of engine rpm and electrical load...Vehicles with magneto ignition do not require a capacitor for battery-less operation.

Comment

• datadavid
                    • Oct 2014

Cool

Comment

• DustyDave
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

After several no battery bikes I have given up that I need a tiny battery. There' s nothing like killing the engine and having absolutely no light in traffic or on the side or the highway. I burn out way less light bulbs because the Capacitance of a battery smooths out the voltage ripples from regulator switching. The little bitty AGM batteries from emergency lights and confuser power supplies are easy to hide and very cheap or even four 123 batteries in series. And I certainly don't need the lights dimming or flickering even a little at idle calling legal attention to me.
                      Dusty
                      Last edited by DustyDave; 04-18-2018, 9:03 PM.
                      Driving that train, high on cocaine
                      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• kendall666
                        • Oct 2011

Got it fixed. A couple shitty grounds and connections were the issue. Feels good to have lights haha thanks for everyone’s input

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;