Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakotahollinger
    • Nov 2015

What cylinders to purchase?

Recently I had blew a head gasket on my 1988 1200 sporty “4 spd” an in result of blowing a head gasket doing burnouts I had also broke a fin off the cylinder so in return I am now looking for new cylinders I haven’t quite made up my mind in purchasing a set 1250 cylinders or simply buying another set of 1200 cylinders high ratio then adding cam’s an head work none the less what are some companies to look into for a set of cylinders an reason why you say that company?
  • BadMonkeyMW
    • Jul 2010

NHRS - very good quality and great customer support.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by BadMonkeyMW
      NHRS - very good quality and great customer support.
      NRHS? http://www.nrhsperformance.com/
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Cotton1
        • Aug 2017

Hammer Performance. I have not personally done a conversion but know folks that have and were pleased. They do lots of Dyno testing and post performance reports on their website. If I ever do a rebuild or conversion I plan to use them. They offer 1275 kits now, several kinds of cams and are a machine shop that does head work on site. They race what they make as well, so hands on all the way.

Somewhere on the XLF is a thread about Hammer upgrades installed with dyno results I think.

Cotton1

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Axtell makes nice jugs...

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Just remember nothing will hold up to high prolonged revving no matter how great the parts are.......

Comment

• thecarfarmer
              • Dec 2016

NRHS & Hammer both sell aluminum drugs with an iron or steel liner.

They claim that their cylinders are more rigid than the original ones. I can't speak to other that's true or not. What I can tell you is I've seen very low mileage OEM 1200 cylinders that were obviously not round, because the rings were touching in some places and not others.

The four bolts going through were basically pulling them Square

The Axtell cylinders that were mentioned above are recommended by hammer for heavy-duty usage, they tend to hold the cases together as well as being good and round.

FWIW, I believe that those 4 speed Evo Sportsters use essentially the same clutch and transmission as the late 1984 and 85 iron heads. Which also have some of the weaknesses of all the other Ironhead Transmissions

If you are really intending to wail the fuck out of this thing, you might want to think about simply bolting in a 5-speed engine right off the hop, which would get you a better gearbox, and get that fucking alternator off of the clutch hub
              Last edited by thecarfarmer; 04-15-2018, 10:25 PM. Reason: There's no way I can fucking plan what I'm typing, is there? Hell no, just go back and edit it a hundred times

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;