Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rjcinelli
    • Oct 2016

78 XS750 chop first bike build

Started building my bike a few months back, and decided now that I should start a build thread to keep track of what I've done and hopefully get some tips, recommendations, and constructive criticism since this is my first build. So I picked up a 1978 XS750 back in November of 2017, $400 non-running no paperwork. Figured I would tinker with it and get back on a bike... well I got her running and that was enough for me to tear it apart and start chopping it up. Not 100% sure where I want this build to go, it's a low budget, learn how to build a bike kind of build. My plans for the bike are as follows:
    Hardtail, no rear stretch
    stretch downtubes 2" or 3" not sure yet
    12" over girder frontend from an old Harley
    21" spool wheel up front
    King queen seat I plan to fab up
    Complete rewire of the bike since it's a mess
    Rabbit Ear bars?

Hoping to be riding this bike ASAP and take a trip up to Canada in late July. Time for pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180202_123027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	1342710 No ramp? No problem

Name:	IMG_20180203_154802.jpg
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	1342711 Removing the motor for the first time, kind of a pain but I figured it out

Name:	IMG_20180226_164148.jpg
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	1342712 Chopped some of the frame, still had no idea what I was going to do at this point

Name:	IMG_20180324_134457.jpg
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1342713 Had my buddy weld the lower portion of the hardtail, his welding skills are far beyond mine

Name:	IMG_20180326_191647.jpg
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	1342714 Made some rear mounts out of spare tubing I had laying around, not the prettiest but they'll work
  • Rjcinelli
    • Oct 2016

Some more pictures...

Name:	IMG_20180330_173857.jpg
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1301582 Sleeved the neck to fit the harley frontend, messed up with measuring so I'll have to drill the sleeve out a bit to fit the neck cups.

Name:	IMG_20180325_175952.jpg
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	1301586 mocked the bike up with rear wheel attached... sits pretty high up in the air but I had tacked the rear portion so it sat lower originally and ran into clearance issues with the frame hitting the shaft drive housing. At least I won't have to worry about scraping on anything right?

That's about all I've got done right now, funds are super low as I'm in school full time and only working Saturdays. I ordered a complete gasket kit for the bike so I'm going to do that and while I'm at it I will sandblast the cases and valve cover. Can't decide whether I want to polish or paint them but I've got plenty of time to figure that out.

I've been thinking about doing a jockey shift/foot clutch but have no idea what or how to go about it, any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Oh and foot peg mounting, drill through frame, weld in some threaded bungs and bolt the pegs on? Not sure what I want to do yet for those. Thanks for looking, I'll try to keep this updated as I get work done.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

It looks like you have a pretty good plan with a list of parts.
      Here is a XS650 with hand shift/hand clutch as an idea:

Name:	craig-pics-004.jpg
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	1301589

An idea for forwards - from TC Bros:

Name:	102-0002_1.jpg
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1301592

How is the wheelbase? Saw a thread that mentioned swapping the driveshaft from a different bike which was about 2"longer...
      You said,"$400 non-running no paperwork." Did you get any paperwork for it since you got it in November? Just wondering if you have a solution for insurance and registration.

An example of a XStriple chop:

Name:	Yamaha-XS750-8.jpg
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	1301590

Name:	yamaha_triple_bobber_xs750_40.jpg
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1301591

and,

Name:	DSCF2623_-_Copy.JPG
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	1301593
      Thread: Gonna try my hand at a xs750

Ya might get a few ideas from here too:

and
      Thread: just picked up my XS750 Yamaha;
      hey new to the forum and to motorcycles just picked up my bobber project I'm starting wanted to show her off and say whats up

and
      Thread: Yamaha xs750, first chop
      So I found this old bike sitting in a buddy of mine's yard about a week ago, he told me it's mine for free if I want it. So I have decided to chop it. Don't know much about it, not even the year, all I do know is that I got it to run for a very brief second so the engine needs work but is ok-ish. This isn't my first try at

Good luck on your build!
      Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-05-2018, 12:12 AM. Reason: added chopcult links
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Rjcinelli
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
        It looks like you have a pretty good plan with a list of parts.
        Here is a XS650 with hand shift/hand clutch as an idea:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]83004[/ATTACH]

An idea for forwards - from TC Bros:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]83007[/ATTACH]

How is the wheelbase? Saw a thread that mentioned swapping the driveshaft from a different bike which was about 2"longer...
        You said,"$400 non-running no paperwork." Did you get any paperwork for it since you got it in November? Just wondering if you have a solution for insurance and registration.

An example of a XStriple chop:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83005[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83006[/ATTACH]

and,
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]83008[/ATTACH]
        Thread: Gonna try my hand at a xs750

Ya might get a few ideas from here too:

and
        Thread: just picked up my XS750 Yamaha;
        hey new to the forum and to motorcycles just picked up my bobber project I'm starting wanted to show her off and say whats up

and
        Thread: Yamaha xs750, first chop
        So I found this old bike sitting in a buddy of mine's yard about a week ago, he told me it's mine for free if I want it. So I have decided to chop it. Don't know much about it, not even the year, all I do know is that I got it to run for a very brief second so the engine needs work but is ok-ish. This isn't my first try at

Good luck on your build!
        Thanks for that picture of the hand shift/hand clutch that'll give me some ideas, and those forwards. Going to try to fab up as many parts as I can since I'm broke, and I think it would be awesome to really build most of the parts. The wheel base isn't too bad I wanted to stretch it but now that I've already welded in the lower portion of the hardtail I think I'm going to stick with what I've done and see how it works out. The high ground clearance will be different than most for sure, I'll have to test it out and see if it'll be practical though!

As of right now I haven't gotten any paperwork yet...my sister lives in NH and I should have asked her to get it registered for me before I started building it but I'm just going to finish building it and then have her do that. NH doesn't require paperwork just a bill of sale and VIN check to make sure it's not stolen ( I've checked a few VIN sites and it didn't pop up as stolen so I'm crossing my fingers) I've had a few bikes I had to get VIN checked and came up clean. Almost all of those links you added are threads I've been looking through and getting inspiration from, thanks for posting them again I'm going to go back through them and see if I can learn anything else from them!

Comment

• Rjcinelli
          • Oct 2016

Does anybody know if the head bolts are considered stretch bolts? Just took my cases off and wanted to sandblast them, was thinking of doing the head as well, just want to know if I will have to order new head bolts or not. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180405_162443.jpg
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	1301601

Just realized they're studs not bolts... Oops. Anyways I don't think I feel like taking the head off, it looks to be an interference motor and the last time I messed with one of those I bent the valves. I suppose that could have had to do with too much beer while setting the timing and it being my first time.
          Last edited by Rjcinelli; 04-05-2018, 4:17 PM.

Comment

• Exit39
            • Apr 2013

Following for sure

Comment

• Rjcinelli
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Exit39
              Following for sure
              Picking up some more argon for the welder today hopefully some updates coming in the next few days

Comment

• Rjcinelli
                • Oct 2016

Could anybody tell me what kind of foam they use in this writeup? Having trouble finding it, figured I would start ordering parts for what I'll need for the build since I'm at a standstill until I get the neck sleeve machined at the shop. Inside diameter is 1" but I need more like 1 1/4" ID for the neck cups, step drill bit with 1 1/4" max just isn't cutting it. Spent about an hour and a half trying to drill it out and barely got to the max step, not nearly deep enough to fit the cups. http://draftcycleworks.blogspot.com/...-from.html?m=1

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Rjcinelli
                  ...I'm at a standstill until I get the neck sleeve machined at the shop. Inside diameter is 1" but I need more like 1 1/4" ID for the neck cups, step drill bit with 1 1/4" max just isn't cutting it. Spent about an hour and a half trying to drill it out and barely got to the max step, not nearly deep enough to fit the cups.
                  I was confused when I saw your photo and description of the sleeve you installed in the neck, post #2 above, "Sleeved the neck to fit the harley frontend, messed up with measuring so I'll have to drill the sleeve out a bit to fit the neck cups."

The outside diameter of the bearing races are 1.85" top and 2.165" bottom; I was thinking you could just machine a couple of sleeves, to press fit on the harley bearing cup, to fit the cups into the neck of the frame.

Japanese Bike Steering Stem Bearing Sizes
                  Yamaha XS750 ALL (77-79)

Upper: 25 x 47 x 15 (47mm = 1.850")
                  Lower: 30 x 55 x 17 (55mm = 2.165")
                  Compliments of "a member on another forum", Sorted by size, upper and lower. Just find yours and you can see what else shares the same size for a swapping donor. Japanese Bike Steering Stem Bearing Sizes Upper: 22.5 x 41 x 12.5 Lower: 24 x 41 x 12.5 Honda MB-5-50 (82) Honda MR-50/K1...

Name:	foamtype_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1301774
                  Where to buy different types of foam? Here are a few ideas:

Thread: where to get seat foam?
                  Anybody on here know where to get some foam for building up and reshaping seats? All of the local upholstery shops and the local supply place (Western...
                  Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-12-2018, 6:41 AM. Reason: added foam info
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Rjcinelli
                    • Oct 2016

Thanks for the info TriNortchopz I'm going to look at those links. As for the sleeve issue, I had found this thread and figured I would so the same but did not have the Harley neck cups when I measured so I kind of set myself up for failure with that. Hopefully some time next week the sleeve will get machined and I'll be rolling again.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

A set of these would have been even easier - no harley cups required:

Name:	22-1004.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1301795
                      Part Number 22-1004
                      $33.90
                      Tapered Steering Bearing Kit; XS750 77-79

Comment

• Rjcinelli
                        • Oct 2016

A set of these would have been even easier - no harley cups required:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]83248[/ATTACH]
                        Part Number 22-1004
                        $33.90
                        Tapered Steering Bearing Kit; XS750 77-79
                        Would these have enabled me to run the harley front end with the stock xs750 neck? Don't think I would be able to run them now since I've cut the neck up a bit

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

Would these have enabled me to run the harley front end with the stock xs750 neck? Don't think I would be able to run them now since I've cut the neck up a bit
                          Almost; you just need to get a set of 'cones - the bearing part - to fit the springer neck, or get a set of bearings from your local bearing guy and machine some press-fit sleeves for the bearings, or get a springer neck machined to fit the bearings...just need to know what ya got (neck sizes - of frame, and of springer neck post), and figure out what you need - measure and research - using online bearing catalogs, or call a bearing supplier; they can tell you what will fit, what won't fit and with knowing your measurements, you can figure out what you can make fit; metric/inch conversion calculator very handy to prepare for the discussion

Here is a thread from CC that discusses installing a springer on a XS 650 (bearing sizes are: Upper: 25 x 48 x 15.2 and Lower: 30 x 48 x 15)
                          Thread: Putting a 1" springer on an Xs650 (no cutting/welding)
                          you guys may already know this BUT if not here ya go what you do is get a set of the aftermarket steering bearings for the xs [/URL] and then buy a set of 1 inch trailer wheel bearings....or a set of steering bearings for a harley but the wheel bearings are cheeper... then just use the RACES from the 1 inch

Here is an example of different sized bearing cones to fit a springer on a XS650;
                          Yamaha XS650 Springer Conversion Kit with Steering Neck Bearings

Name:	113-0061_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1301846
                          Yamaha XS650 Springer Conversion Kit with Steering Neck Bearings If you have an aftermarket Harley Davidson Springer front end, and you would like to install it on a 1970-1983 Yamaha XS650 or TX650, then this is the kit you need. Features: This kit features a Moto Iron™ brand upper triple clamp & locknut that has b

Do you have the harley bearing cups now?
                          Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-15-2018, 3:05 PM.

Comment

• Rjcinelli
                            • Oct 2016

Almost; you just need to get a set of 'cones - the bearing part - to fit the springer neck, or get a set of bearings from your local bearing guy and machine some press-fit sleeves for the bearings, or get a springer neck machined to fit the bearings...just need to know what ya got (neck sizes - of frame, and of springer neck post), and figure out what you need - measure and research - using online bearing catalogs, or call a bearing supplier; they can tell you what will fit, what won't fit and with knowing your measurements, you can figure out what you can make fit; metric/inch conversion calculator very handy to prepare for the discussion

Here is a thread from CC that discusses installing a springer on a XS 650 (bearing sizes are: Upper: 25 x 48 x 15.2 and Lower: 30 x 48 x 15)
                            Thread: Putting a 1" springer on an Xs650 (no cutting/welding)
                            you guys may already know this BUT if not here ya go what you do is get a set of the aftermarket steering bearings for the xs [/URL] and then buy a set of 1 inch trailer wheel bearings....or a set of steering bearings for a harley but the wheel bearings are cheeper... then just use the RACES from the 1 inch

Here is an example of different sized bearing cones to fit a springer on a XS650;
                            Yamaha XS650 Springer Conversion Kit with Steering Neck Bearings
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]83301[/ATTACH]
                            Yamaha XS650 Springer Conversion Kit with Steering Neck Bearings If you have an aftermarket Harley Davidson Springer front end, and you would like to install it on a 1970-1983 Yamaha XS650 or TX650, then this is the kit you need. Features: This kit features a Moto Iron™ brand upper triple clamp & locknut that has b

Do you have the harley bearing cups now?
                            Right now I have the harley 1" bearings and cups kit yes, but I've already cut the stock neck (cut off the upper and lower bearing seats? I don't know the correct name for what I cut off)

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                              • Dec 2017

Right now I have the harley 1" bearings and cups kit yes, but I've already cut the stock neck (cut off the upper and lower bearing seats? I don't know the correct name for what I cut off)
                              Carry on...Good luck with your build.
                              Don't forget to research and plan.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;