Cleaning the inside of the gas tank – rust!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tlp335
    • Sep 2016

Cleaning the inside of the gas tank – rust!

If This has been posted before, my apologies…
    I picked up a bike a few years ago where the guy sold it because it wouldnt run (‘93 softail) reason being is the tank was so corroded with rust it was insane. The crossover filler tube were plugged solid with rust etc.
    Apple cider vinegar works amazing in this application Muriatic acid works also, but I was afraid of damaging the paint.
    So basically I filled both tanks with apple cider vinegar, Capped then off and let them sit for two days
    Then I simply drained the tanks and they looked brand new inside! I was astounded!
    I then Poured baking soda in each tank and then filled them halfway up with distilled water. And shut vigorously, to neutralize the acidic values of the Apple cider vinegar.
    Next I put about a pint of lacquer thinner in each tank and once again shook vigorously. Then I made sure to thoroughly dry the inside of the tank with a heat gun.
    Now it is ready for the Caswell tank liner!

For some reason Apple cider vinegar works so much better than regular vinegar, no idea why. I’ve tried everything to clean these tanks prior, the old nuts and bolts with vinegar and shake method. I’m sure that would work if the tank wasn’t as bad as it was
  • scooper321
    • Oct 2017

Do you have to seal it? I haven’t heard anything good about any sealant when running these modern ethanol fuels. Why not just leave it clean, fill it and add a little stabil?

Comment

• Tlp335
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by scooper321
      Do you have to seal it? I haven’t heard anything good about any sealant when running these modern ethanol fuels. Why not just leave it clean, fill it and add a little stabil?
      I am no expert, but I think you do… I cleaned these tanks out when I first bought the bike and did not seal them. That was about two years ago… Granted, I did not always leave them filled to the top with gas. The rust did come back, not as bad as the first time around, but bad enough to clog the fuel filter.

And with today’s Gasoline, I have heard, again “heard” not from experience, That product like cream or por15 do not hold up over time, that’s why everyone seems to go for the Caswell two part epoxy sealer . I’m probably going to seal them up tomorrow, and hopefully The rust doesn’t come back

Comment

• scooper321
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Tlp335
        I am no expert, but I think you do… I cleaned these tanks out when I first bought the bike and did not seal them. That was about two years ago… Granted, I did not always leave them filled to the top with gas. The rust did come back, not as bad as the first time around, but bad enough to clog the fuel filter.

And with today’s Gasoline, I have heard, again “heard” not from experience, That product like cream or por15 do not hold up over time, that’s why everyone seems to go for the Caswell two part epoxy sealer . I’m probably going to seal them up tomorrow, and hopefully The rust doesn’t come back
        I am not familiar with the Caswell product, so my comments were strictly in reference to POR15 and Kreem. I will have to take a look at it.

My tank isn't very bad, but I am going to put some metal rescue or apple cider vinegar through it first. Then I might just see how bad the rust gets before trying any sealer. I am running both the internal tank filter in an external fuel line filter, but I will definitely keep an eye on it. And yeah, I will look into that Caswell product.

Comment

• Roo
          • Apr 2018

There is a product called red cote?red coat,its a powder you mix with acetone.Pour it in roll it around pour off excess,it methanol ethanol proof.Ive used it it seemed good,pretty sure it was usa made but it was a few years ago.
          Last edited by Roo; 04-03-2018, 6:10 AM.

Comment

• Tlp335
            • Sep 2016

I have used red coat in the past with good results as well, but I’ve heard such great things about the Caswell I am going to give it a shot

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

And with today’s Gasoline, I have heard, again “heard” not from experience, That product like cream or por15 do not hold up over time,
              I haven't found that to be true... I've had por15 in my pan tanks for 10 years and have had zero problems... It's great when it's done properly.. Now I will agree cream is junk...

Comment

• Tlp335
                • Sep 2016

I’m sure it is all in the prep. People don’t read directions or prep the tanks properly, coat it and then complained it didn’t hold up. The only other sealer I have ever used was red guard and I’ve had no problems with that - And yet, I have heard many people say red guard junk LOL go figure
                Last edited by Tlp335; 04-03-2018, 6:59 AM.

Comment

• SamHain
                  • Apr 2024

I had Caswell fail in no time flat. Prep was above and beyond, I had the tank in halves prior, everything was clean and scuffed. Started peeling and I have no idea how to remove it.

I’ll never use a sealer again. Easier to clean rust than some snake oil product.

Comment

• Tlp335
                    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by SamHain
                    I had Caswell fail in no time flat. Prep was above and beyond, I had the tank in halves prior, everything was clean and scuffed. Started peeling and I have no idea how to remove it.
                    Dayum. That sucks!

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by SamHain

I’ll never use a sealer again. Easier to clean rust than some snake oil product.
                      I used sealer so I wouldn't have to repaint and fix body work because of a leak... The best thing I could have done...
                      Yep I agree Caswell sucks...

Comment

• Tlp335
                        • Sep 2016

“Yep I agree Caswell sucks...”. In what regards, I’m getting a little apprehensive about using this, is this from personal experience? Thanks so much

Comment

• 47str8leg
                          • Sep 2014

“Yep I agree Caswell sucks...”. In what regards, I’m getting a little apprehensive about using this, is this from personal experience? Thanks so much
                          I'd rather not use sealer unless absolutely necessary. I've dealt with the removal and it's a pain in the ass.
                          That being said I've used Kreem twice. First time lasted 11 years in my old rigid sportster. My knuckle has had it in since 2009 and counting. After cleaning and prepping it is not supposed to be applied unless the weather is at least 70 degrees out for a week ( unless brought into a controlled environment.
                          Long ago I was told by a Motorcycle mechanic to let them dry for at least a week.
                          So far that has been wise advice. The product instructions don't tell you that. I believe that if the prep was done correctly that it is why any of the sealing products could fail quickly.

Comment

• hillcat
                            • Mar 2015

My crazy Aunt gave me a book on the many uses and medical benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar.

The only time I would line a tank would be if it's fiberglass. Get it clean and keep gas in it. Especially in a high humidity area with cold nights and warm days. Or if stored outdoors. Side note: Fuel filters can starve a motor.

This all sounds like good advice on proper cleaning, proper prep and that tip about waiting a week sounds good too.

Comment

• DanAz
                              • Sep 2011

Red coat, I've seen 15+ years on the stuff. I've got 9 on a tank now with it.
                              Prep like it's surgery, I let mine cure for about a month, but I wasn't in any hurry anyway.
                              I know tuners that love Kreem, they make so much money cleaning that shit out of fuel systems it's sad.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;