CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default '89 Evo Brake Light Pushrod

Hey just wondering if anyone has any experience with their brake light switch on the older evo front master cylinder not staying in "adjustment." I know its not an adjustable part so to say but mine has quite a bit of play up and down and once I line everything up and tighten it down and go ride it will be stuck on again. The little brass pushrod that presses in the brake light switch always ends up riding up and no longer keeps the button depressed.

I noticed the problem when I swapped handle bars this weekend, its not my first time swapping bars or removing the maser cylinder but I've never had a problem with the switch before. Is that pushrod just too worn or do they all have that much play in them?

Its number 20 in the diagram:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5141.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	82659

and here is mine you can see where it has marks from slipping off the brake light switch, and the side view shows the pushrod is seated in the hole correctly like the manual shows.

Name:	IMG_5144.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	82660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5143.jpg 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	82661

Just trying to figure out if I'm missing something easy or if I just need to order new pushrod and barrel.

Get Adobe Flash player

Were the two parts seated all the way in???

Get Adobe Flash player

Like the master cylinder clamp and the control pod? Yea they were snugged up to each other but I noticed comparing my photos to the manual that my brass pushrod has a slight bend in it towards the control pod and the ones pictured in the manual are completely flat.

I'm wondering if I straighten it back out if it would help it stay on top of the switch. The way its bent now it would be putting more pressure on the switch than if its straight and maybe thats causing it to slide itself off?

Name:	Pushrod.jpg 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	82666
    Last edited by mzavala2424; 03-22-2018 at 3:48 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

It could have got bent when you or someone else were putting it back together...

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you have the assembly installed correctly on the handlebar, had the same kind of issue when replacing bars on my 89 fxr, if that shell isnt locked in correctly around the throttle tube and then it kind of slides onto the master cylinder with tabs. Mine was kind of cocked and not working until I loosened it at got it to sit flush.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea it mustve gotten bent somehow maybe when I switched bars last time. I didnt get a chance to do anything with it yet was out of town for a buddys bachelor party. I'm gonna try to see if I can flatten it back out after work if its not raining. Thanks Matty yea I know what you mean about the grooves on the two housings fitting in together, I set my throttle housing up first then set the master cylinder based off that but maybe I'll reverse it and see if that helps.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just following up on this, I was able to bend the arm of that pushrod back in place and reversed which piece I tightened down first and all is working as it should for now. I'm hoping the little brass pushrod piece isnt too soft now from bending and doesnt bend right back. Thanks for the help Tattoo and MattySue

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mzavala2424 View Post
    Just following up on this, I was able to bend the arm of that pushrod back in place and reversed which piece I tightened down first and all is working as it should for now. I'm hoping the little brass pushrod piece isnt too soft now from bending and doesnt bend right back. Thanks for the help Tattoo and MattySue
    If it continues to bend, I have had very good luck with the banjo bolt switches. I usually find them for $20 or so.

Share This