CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Help me understand titles

Foremost- if you misread the heading and came here looking to see pictures and conversation about topless women, I completely understand. You are forgiven.

I found a 74 Iron Head that I am interested in-project started but needs finishing up. The problem is that it is on a home made frame and I have no idea how to get it titled here in SC. The owner doesn't know either and we are both trying to figure that out before I go and take a look in person. I also have been thinking about a new frame instead of a tail piece for my 98 I am working on and the title deal is boggling my mind.

I have checked out my DMV web page and believe that I either need a title OR a mso. If I have a mso I get a "special build" or something of that effect title. That in turn means that I dont know if I can get it insured, and if it will cost me a pile of cash to have the thing insured. Then I hear its all different in every state. So what the hell do I have to do to get the bike legal on the road and be able to go across state lines without getting my bike stole from me by the man?

Would I have to buy a titled frame and swap everything over? If so that would suck because the 74 frame looks to be suitable for me. I guess I could just drive it inside the state lines if I can get it insured, but I dont like that. Sometimes I ramble around in different states.

If anybody here can help me out I would appreciate it. I have some days off work this week and could go take a look, and actually spoke to the seller last night. If I had a handle on this title deal I would feel better about buying it. Im not a man with cash to throw around at all, but I do want a kicker bike and Sportys are my thing right now. If I bought this one and couldn't ride it that would not only suck on its own, but take away money from my 98 build. This is why I need to figure out the title deal before hand.

I did do a search and found a CC thread from a few years back on the subject, but I am still confused. HELP PLEASE!!

Cotton1

Get Adobe Flash player

Best advise I can give you is to call or visit custom shops and builders in your state who are likely to have gone through the procedure before. Have the good form to try not to do this while they're at their busiest.

Get Adobe Flash player

Is there any numbers on the frame or the motor at all??

In SC you can get a builders title but you will need all of your receipts from where you bought it and what you spent on it building it... But the insurance is more since it's not a Harley...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Is there any numbers on the frame or the motor at all??

In SC you can get a builders title but you will need all of your receipts from where you bought it and what you spent on it building it... But the insurance is more since it's not a Harley...
    Supposedly a title with the motor. I dont know if that is a thing. Up until a certain point the titles go with the motors and then after that they go with the frames? I would think 74 to not be old enough for any old laws to apply to myself.Whats the scoop on that?

So for the insurance, since the bike is like 85% complete would the bill of sale from me buying it be all I need? Or would I need his receipts for every little bit? I would really hate to tear this bike down to swap frames honestly. All it looks to need is a rear fender, seat mount and seat and a little wiring. It has the kicker and e-start.

How hard would it be to find a mid 70s frame with good title and what is a normal cost? This bike I am speaking of would be a good deal if I could finish it up for a thousand bucks or so which it could take most of if it needs both tires( I think it does).

MOTher-I dont really know the right shop to call about this. Maybe there is one I can think of, but will give that a try.

Cotton1

Get Adobe Flash player

supposedly a title with motor? only pre 70 works like that. I'm always sketched out by this kinda shit, not really worth the headache for an ironhead.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pass. The world is full of organ donor junk Ironheads, and they are plentiful in SC/NC/GA. I don't buy them.

Title goes with frame and a title can prove you OWN a motor but that doesn't TITLE a motorcycle. (Previous owner should have kept the fucking neck with VIN.) Since you have another project that ain't finished I suggest concentrating on that. Evos sell for more if you flip it. Nobody would use Ironhead for anything but target practice if they weren't Harleys, which is why the sell cheap, usually after sitting on Craiglist a long time.

Frames with titles go around 400-700 on Ebay but may require some waiting to find. NO "salvage" titles. CLEAN and CLEAR or no deal. You can of course use a titled neck from a later Sporty, but the whole thing reeks of "waste of time".

If you got a new frame with an MSO (not worth it, see a trend here??) that and motor title (which is surrendered on SPCN title issue) and receipts would likely please the man.

Sounds like you are all excited about getting another HD before finishing your important project. STOP. Finish the 98. All us old farts have seen this sort of thing before more than once.

After your 98 is done, look for a big twin. Ironheads aren't really good poverty builds because most of the cheap ones are tore up from the floor up. After you are done, it's still an Ironhead. (Not that I'd mind an XLCR or other collectible version, but that would be to flip.)

You can ask buddies who own a vehicle business (used car lot, mechanics shop, etc) about how they get a magistrates title. I ain't gonna type it out here because I already did in another thread which I forget. Not really worth it for a piece of shit. I tell it like I see it and I've been working on mosickles in SC since 1985. Unless you are a business you can no longer get your own magistrates title.

You can visit Blythewood DMV (call first) and get in touch with the inspectors. In my case the inspector came to my house for my wife's 1937 Chevy pickup and was cool.

But seriously, you need an Ironhead in pieces like you need venereal warts. Finish your 98. You'll thank me later. Stay focused.

When checking out possible deals anything never get excited. Think like a used car salesman, to whom EVERYTHING is a "shitbox".

If you have any doubts, pay a good friend to kick you in the nuts until your desire for junk subsides. The pain will be less and so will the expense.
    Last edited by farmall; 04-01-2018 at 4:18 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Supposedly a title with the motor. I dont know if that is a thing. Up until a certain point the titles go with the motors and then after that they go with the frames? I would think 74 to not be old enough for any old laws to apply to myself.Whats the scoop on that?
    Cotton1
    70 and back on the motor for a title...

But that didn't answer my question... I said are there any numbers on the frame or the motor??

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

That would solve it. Even has a swingarm.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    70 and back on the motor for a title...

But that didn't answer my question... I said are there any numbers on the frame or the motor??
    I have not been to see it in person to know yet. Only know that the seller says there is a title to the engine. He said the original frame was long gone per the person he bought it from.

So what kind of price tag should a good to go Iron Head have? This one is running nice in the videos he sent me and is pretty close to done. Soooo...

Ifn I bought the frame/ title posted earlier for $550, and paid the asking price of 2300 for the scooter, and a nother 1000 to finish it up...how far away am I money wise as far as resale value?

I dont know why I like shitty old junk..its like a bad disease I have had all of my life.

I get what you are saying about the 98 Farmall, I know thats right on...made a little progress on it this evening.

Cotton1

Get Adobe Flash player

If it was me I'd pass on the bike.... It isn't worth the extra time and money it's going to take...

Get Adobe Flash player

the asking price of 2300 for the scooter,
    You can buy compete nice runners for that all day! Remember asking price ain't gettin' price. All those complete running Ironheads in Craiglist with high twos asking price are (like anything else people sell) padded a bit so you could buy one in the low twos in nice shape and go ride the fucker. I check SC, NC, and GA nearly every day looking for other HD and Britshit.

Here's a complete runner which appears to have had a caring owner who's asking 2800.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy...548458850.html

Four grandish total? You'd lose money unless you can find a retarded customer. You were wise to ask! The only dumb question is one ya don't ask and this time you could save several thousand bucks.

Complete engine? 600-800 if stock and passes a static leakdown test. You'd still expect to go through any used motor that old and never forget it so add another grand, more if surprises lurk inside.

Save your money. Seriously. Ironhead prices in SC are low and they ain't getting any higher (corrected for inflation and anyone who doesn't do the math is retarded). It's the beginning of riding season making it the worst time to buy because everyone thinks their garbage is gold. This changes dramatically when the season is over!

If you ain't made of money, don't be so horny to throw it away (well, unless ya want to give it to me!). That's a terribly common noob disaster and the reason basket cases come up for sale after the pang of reality sets in.

Want to ride? Buy or build one utterly reliable bike and resist the urge to molest it until your project is done.

Here's what to do. Finish the 98 so you can ride it. Ride until fall and the weather gets nasty (well, by SC standards) and the fair weather riders unload their shit. A couple years ago I bought a '94 FXLR in good shape for 3500 and that ain't a freak occurrence.

Here's something under your max build cost for an Ironturd. Not mine, don't know the guy but these sort of deals are what I look for.

https://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/...544167467.html

The way to get deals is find machines SOMEONE ELSE dumped too much cash into and need to sell.

How I search for anything:

https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/sc Bookmark that , then change the highlited state suffix to GA and NC for regional coverage. Then open each city/area in a new tab and you can bang through all the bikes which interest you fast and easy.

Deals appear in the fall and usually vanish by spring, so don't buy in the spring. Spend time on the internet getting THOROUGHLY familiar with the market. Have cash register eyes if you want to win. Losing is expensive and you won't enjoy it.

Never go shopping hungry. If a particular bike interests me I get the manuals in advance and make damn sure I know more about a machine than the person selling it, because most people ain't mechanics.

I bring a compression tester and a plug wrench.
    If they won't let me pull a test (also an opportunity to inspect spark plugs) I either walk away or lowball them and walk away if they don't bite. It's a fucking hobby.

When you find something you think is a deal, ask here so you don't get raped.
    I buy lots of old junk, but I don't overpay for it. Hunting deals is fun!
    Last edited by farmall; 04-02-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

you will never, ever sell an ironhead for what you have into it. trust me, I know.

Get Adobe Flash player

SO are home made Frames only usable if You mate it up with an older motor
    that carries the VIN? Seems Libtarded to Me. Why couldn't DMV just issue a
    builders title (special construction) & then stamp the issued number onto the
    home made frame?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
    Why couldn't DMV just issue a
    builders title (special construction) & then stamp the issued number onto the
    home made frame?
    They can and they do stamp them or issue a tag... But the problem is that it isn't a Harley or what ever.. The insurance is more and resale is much lower... But if that doesn't matter go for it...

Get Adobe Flash player

Get a quote from your insurance company before deciding. If you go liability only and offer to show them pics they might be reasonable.

Now there is one and one only advantage to a SPCN titled machine. If you find something later you really want enough to part out the original SPCN bike, the frame can go away and your new frame and motorcycle might magically sprout numbers matching that title. It's a gray area. I'm personally fine with OWNING an SPCN motorcycle, I just can't be arsed GENERATE the title vs. other methods.

If you have lots of time you can do it as an education. It's not a horrorshow, but for the time wasted it's something I'd only do for a special, very expensive machine because my time isn't worthless.

www.scdmvonline.com/-/media/Forms/4038.ashx

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, I am glad I asked here. No, I dont have the financials to float a ass whoopin right now. I also dont need another bike right now. I just want a damn ol kicker, dont know why. When I go to swap meets or gatherings with a big range of bikes around the nasty, fugly, grungy ones I cant stop thinking about. I know that is backwards, but I own it. And you know what they say about one mans junk..

So I will likely pass on this one. I think that one up in NC might be a good buy, but I was thinking it was like 4500 last week. No biggie I guess. I feel like a tard for wanting a shitty old bike, and dont know why that flips my switch but damn it if I wouldnt take some shit like this one over a brand new one as far as me riding it.

Maybe I am the basketcase here!! I will laugh at myself and hope you all enjoy the chuckle too! Thank you all very much for keeping me from a mistake. I may bother you for help looking out for a good un when the weather changes in December or so. Maybe save up some bread by then and make some headway on the 98.

I appreciate you all!!Thanks again,

Cotton1

Get Adobe Flash player

Sportster kicker ratchets are decidedly inferior to big twin kicker ratchets, so if you need another reason to go BT that's a respectable one.
    Back when people rode Ironheads more often "Sportster knee" was justly famous and of course all but the late Denso starters suck herpes off hemhorroids.

Rats are fine, if YOU are the person who rode it long enough to rat it. Buying someone else's rat is like being the last guy in the gangbang. You didn't get much fun but you are stuck with the mess and the mystery of what horrible problems lurk in that mess.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nothing wrong with an ironhead

but

they dont make good flippers, build one to bar hop and have fun on

Get Adobe Flash player

Thought I read... Help me understand tities. Way off by one letter.
    Last edited by shank1kole; 04-13-2018 at 11:33 PM. Reason: autocorrect unwanted

Share This