Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burnzie
    • Mar 2018

FXR 39mm front end swap

Hey guys new to the forum! I just picked up a 84 FXRP that came with a wide glide front end. I’m looking to swap a 39mm narrow glide front end on to maximize the FXR handling. Now, my friend has a 39mm narrowglide front end off a Sportster. I was wondering if this front end can be used on the fxr. I tired searching but no real definite answer. One guy told me sportser forks are shorter and it will take away from handling. Anyone ever done this swap?
  • WillSCB
    • Dec 2014

First off, as far as fitting, the steering stems should both be 1", so that is no problem. As far as the length, measure your front end, and have your buddy measure his. I don't know what lengths were used on either bike (and I think there may have been some variations on both front ends. I would say as long as both front ends are within an inch or so of each other in length, you shouldn't have any handling issues. Good luck.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

It might be ~2" shorter than standard FXR length depending on what model Sporty it comes off, but the lower height front end was also used on FXLRs (I took one off mine to go to dual discs and longer tubes) so it'll work if the stem is 1".

It doesn't cause handling issues and if you vertically challenged will fit you better. Good move either way ditching the wide glide and you can always swap complete tube assemblies later on if you wish since you'll have 39mm triple clamps.

If you are gonna swap to a single disc Sporty front end the later style lowers take four piston calipers. You can also buy adapters. The stock single piston calipers aren't great so if you replace 'em get a four piston.

Always mention WHICH Sportster a front end came off to help others help you or post clear pics. The wide glide should sell easily.

Also remember you can use PVC shims between spring and cap if you want to raise ride height a bit.

You'll want to make yourself one of these. Pic shows it on my FXLR:

Got a set of Progressive springs with spacers for my FXR and in a fit of exasperation sliced and expanded an old caulking gun to compress the fuckers. Worked well on the 39mm forks and the next set of larger forks I have to fight I'll cut the ring off another gun, weld studs to the lengthwise straps and use them to secure a

If you replace any brake lines, go braided stainless for better feel and lower line expansion.

Comment

• humancertainty
        • Mar 2014

You can also buy the Dyna damper tubes to kick it up 2” if required. Tracker*die sells them.

Comment

• Burnzie
          • Mar 2018

Right on guys I appreciate it. The front end he guy has is off of a 2011 sporty. I’m not a short guy so I would definitely want to put those dyna damper tubes in if I go that route. I’ve attached a picture of the front end, Click image for larger version

Name:	7D228112-08EA-4A48-95EC-9939481C7286.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1301559

Let me know if this year will fit, or if anyone wants to trade a narrow glide dyna front end for a wide glide

Appreciate the responses!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Here is an option to consider:

Siouxcide Choppers 39mm Bolt On Black/Chrome Springer Front End

• Springer front ends designed to be used with your stock triple trees
            • Easy bolt on installation with no modification needed to frame or tank
            • Reusing stock tripple tree allows for use of stock fork stops. This means no cumbersome specialty handlebar set up! Takes standard H-D 3.5″ risers and handlebars, while providing that vintage springer look!
            • Custom Springer front end comes with back rails, springer perch, front bushings, and all hardware and springs
            • Use custom bracket with stock brake set up
            • Uses 3/4″ axle
            • Available in Chrome or Chrome and Black
            Click image for larger version

Name:	803-528_A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1301562

also available here:
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• brooklynbomber
              • Sep 2011

Don’t know if a springer is the best route on an FXR. Here’s what I know based off what my experience was doing this swap to my 85 FXR. Standard length sporty front end should be good, 86-99 standard length, non hugger models. OR like Farmall recommended, if you get a 2000-2003 stock 39mm Sportster front end, you get a dual piston caliper upgrade and are easy to make dual disc (stock bore is 11/16 master cylinder if you do). Plus lots of aftermarket brake upgrades are made for these. Best bet is to get a front end and wheel together so you’re sure it’s a correct fit.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Burnzie
                Right on guys I appreciate it. The front end he guy has is off of a 2011 sporty. I’m not a short guy so I would definitely want to put those dyna damper tubes in if I go that route. I’ve attached a picture of the front end, [ATTACH=CONFIG]82964[/ATTACH]

Let me know if this year will fit, or if anyone wants to trade a narrow glide dyna front end for a wide glide

Appreciate the responses!
                I've not done that swap but it's highly likely to fit. Why not try it out? Since he's your friend you could pull your Wide Glide and offer that one up to the steering neck. Check the Ronnie's HD online microfiche for other hardware part numbers you may need.

Make sure you get all the hardware YOU need since you'd be swapping a complete Wide Glide. It's only fair.

However the axle diameter won't match so you'll need a matching front wheel (which you may or may not need to match your rear wheel) and correct axle and spacers.

I wouldn't bother. He can Ebay his front end then buy yours for whatever you two work out. Sometimes the best way to "trade" is turn parts into dead presidents first.

BTW you can supposedly still buy FXRT length 39mm fork tubes which fit the older 39mm forks. That's the optimal solution for tall people. You could try whatever front end you find first before buying tubes.

"1988-94 FXRT, 1987-94 FXRS-SP. 39mm. Stock 25 3/8" ; 45393-87 "

Comment

• SamHain
                  • Apr 2024

You’ll have to work out a steering stop. I just mimicked the sportster style and silicon bronzed it to the neck.

Comment

• Burnzie
                    • Mar 2018

Hey guys appreciate everyone advice, I ended up finding a 39mm front end off a 1997 dyna for cheap so I’m going with that. I also found a OEM 19” spoked wheel with dual disc from a friend for cheap, so I’ll be looking for a dual Caliper fork lowers down the road.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;