CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Mini drum front brake. Did I do this right?

No instructions come with this thing. I welded a big tab onto the bottom of my springer to hold it in place and that's working fine. I know it is not meant as a main means of stopping, but lever is mushy (kind of expected) and the hardware that holds the cable to the brake arm seems... dainty. Just want to verify from some others who may have installed one that I've done this correctly.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just a question mind you.... Does the wheel/rockers go up and down ok when you hit a bump?

Get Adobe Flash player

It looks like the strap is offset - not quite right, and too long. A rod with heim joints would be better, and if it was shorter, the cable would have a straighter pull. The tab on the back of the rear leg looks big.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	82728
    Looks like you need a shorter axle too, but guessin' it's a mock-up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    It looks like the strap is offset - not quite right, and too long.
    Looks like you need a shorter axle too, but guessin' it's a mock-up.

Yep I hope so also..

Get Adobe Flash player

That tab will snap off with leverage if the weld isn't good. I used a replacement V Twin tab for springers on mine, filed out slightly from the back to suit the round leg of my aftermarket springer. Took the chrome off the leg, and welded it on. Set it up with a heim joint as the flat bar they supply with the wheel is just too sloppy.

After all that, it didn't do jackshit anyway. Get a different wheel if you want brakes, or run a spool.

Get Adobe Flash player

Both mounting points of the brake strap must float ...
    The heim joints allows for that movement ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Both mounting points of the brake strap must float ...
    The heim joints allows for that movement ...
    Yes sir, Hence my question above....

The brake moves in its housing when you hit a bump, I thought that was normal, the wheel rockers do work. The side where the strap is attached to the fork is on a shoulder bolt and it is lined up fine. I do hear though that it is at a funny angle, I wanted to use the lower and larger fork leg. The tab is something I made, it is definitely overkill and is also not going anywhere unless I cut it off, hindsight, I'd do it different, I can shorten the strap if that sounds like a good thing to do, I'll look into the heim joint.

Ordered the heim joints. In the interim, shortened the strap and made a clevis to allow the cable to come straight through using set screws to hold it in place, works a lot better now. Thanks for all the great input and pics. All said, I may still bite the bullet and look into some disc brake setup that would work on my springer. 72 Ironhead, the back brake works but the travel on the foot lever is really long, works but doesn't inspire confidence, now I have 2 half ass brakes which I suppose is better than nothing.
    Last edited by boodhah; 03-26-2018 at 9:10 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The setup looks better. Heim joints can be got from local bearing supplier or industrial hardware supplier and thread a rod to fit. You could just cut off corners of the welded-on bracket to improve the looks of that.

Here is some info that may help to improve your rear brake:

From XL Forum:
    rear drum brake conversion
    I want to upgrade the brakes on my 70 ih chopper. right now I am running the stock rear drum/sprocket and an aftermarket wheel with a mini drum in front. the brakes suck to say the least, no matter what I do for adjustments I'm not happy with the results (all new brake shoes were put on 2 summers ago and still have lots of life in them) But I do like the looks of the rear drum.
    See more here: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1403253

rear drum to disc conversion
    Q: are there any conversion kit or a how to thread on how to change to rear disc on a 76 xlh i want to be able to stop better thank you in advance

one A: Easy way = rear disc, brake, rim, swingarm off a 79 - 81 IH . . .straight bolt up practically.

A well adjusted drum brake with all components in good shape and working freely will work near as good, you will need to allow for either a forward control set up or the same rear master cylinder as the 79-81's as well

See more here: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=609646

Share This