X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andyschop
    • Mar 2018

What Year is my motor????

Hello fellow Choppers, chop'ers, choppies,

Alright so newbie to this site and i search aLLLLLLLLotttttt before i post a question to but here it goes.

Ive been wanting to build a bike for years and to my stupid luck i had a 88 vlx600 fall into my lap. FOR FREE.... LET the bobber project begin.

Now here is my question, My frame is vin'd as an 88 (which is a dual carb model) but my motor is a single carb to which i understand is from a late 2000's and newer, does anyone here know how to tell what year a motor is from, using the casing stamp? im only curious for the reason that if i ever have to order a part for that motor i know specifically what to look for.

Casing Stamp - PC21E-4510095

Thanks in advance!!

Hardtailing in progress
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by andyschop
    Hello fellow Choppers, chop'ers, choppies,

Alright so newbie to this site and i search aLLLLLLLLotttttt before i post a question to but here it goes...

Now here is my question, My frame is vin'd as an 88...but my motor is a single carb to which i understand is from a late 2000's and newer, does anyone here know how to tell what year a motor is from, using the casing stamp?
    Casing Stamp - PC21E-4510095
    Try here:

Honda Shadow engine codes and frame numbers

and,
    How to decode the VIN Number on a Honda Motorcycle.
    Find your Honda motorcycle model by type and vinnumber and order original Honda spares through our online Honda spare parts catalog. MSP one click away!

and,
    Honda Shadow VLX Service Manual

and,
    VIN # Location, Honda Shadow,net

and,
    VLX VT600 88-91, 91-96 Service Manual

and some good reading:
    VL600 Hardtail; http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44197
    VLX 600 Hardtail build thread (basically done);
    Hey guys, I wanted to share my build. I'm almost done- I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted to but I think this will show a good amount of the process. I have a lot of things I need to figure out still but it's coming along. Here is a link to the album with bigger pictures http://imgur.com/a/TFpXR https://www.instagram

My 1993 Shadow VLX600 Bobber Build; http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43791
    Honda VLX hardtail build; http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41804
    Lets see the HONDA Shadow chops; http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11641
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• andyschop
      • Mar 2018

Hey TriNortChopz,

Thank you for all the links lol. I've actually have seen all of those webpages and taken a lot of info off them and while all of them have a lot of good info and i appreciate the suggestions. none of them refer to engine years and how to date them. they mostly talk about frame years and other hidden gems that are hard to find. soo thank you.

That said i appreciate the good reading links. I'm slowing reading everything i can find on this topic lol. and I'm trying to take as many pics as i can as i turn the pile of heap that i was given as a shadow into a promising hardtail bobber build...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

This one is getting close, but without diggin'; the chart shows model, engine number, frame number, but only goes to 2001 - maybe take a closer look to get newer info:
        Serial Numbers schematic Honda Vt600c
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• andyschop
          • Mar 2018

That’s a great find thank you. I haven’t found the answer on it yet but gaging by how the number grouping changes per year it give me a good idea that the motor mite be between the 03 to 05 range. Thank you so much.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

You could always visit a Honda dealer and ask them. That should get you the precise info you need to order parts.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Do you have the Bike in your name yet??? I wouldn't spend a dime on it until it is....

Comment

• andyschop
                • Mar 2018

Haha yeah bike is in my name and the frame is already chopped lol so no going back now. I’m just trying to find all the info I can. I like to be informed and Thorough

Comment

• andyschop
                  • Mar 2018

Originally posted by farmall
                  You could always visit a Honda dealer and ask them. That should get you the precise info you need to order parts.
                  I actually tried calling them and the guy in the parts Tried a few different things but couldn’t really find a year for the motor. So the search either continues

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Haha yeah bike is in my name and the frame is already chopped lol so no going back now. I’m just trying to find all the info I can. I like to be informed and Thorough
                    Awesome..... Finally someone with some sense..... Carry on...

Comment

• andyschop
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                      Awesome..... Finally someone with some sense..... Carry on...
                      Thank you thank you

Comment

• Luky
                        • May 2018

That’s a great find thank you. I haven’t found the answer on it yet but gaging by how the number grouping changes per year it give me a good idea that the motor mite be between the 03 to 05 range. Thank you so much.
                        Honda would introduce a new model at anytime. I know because I was a Honda dealer mechanic.
                        A truck would arrive with new motorcycles and it was exciting because you never knew what was going to be in the crate!
                        I was there when the first CB450 arrived. It was nicknamed the ugly duckling because of the unique gas tank shape. Like a whale some called it.

Comment

• Luky
                          • May 2018

I actually tried calling them and the guy in the parts Tried a few different things but couldn’t really find a year for the motor. So the search either continues
                          Honda engine numbers do not correspond to frame numbers.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;