Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CoryAlexander
    • Jul 2013

How many over?

So I may just be stupid and not have seen a thread where people are posting pictures of their bikes as well as listing what the rake is, how many over their front end is, and the up and out? I always find it useful to be able to use other things I see as a reference or just something to get an idea when I see it. But how many times have we all seen a bad ass bike with a bad ass stance and we can never figure out what the dimensions or sometimes come close but end up getting fucked. I’d like to just be able to see rad bikes which I’m sure all of you have, as well as have the specs listed.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

.......................... Proof ............................

Click image for larger version

Name:	3121251777_242a63dc2d.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	1301315

That some people shouldn't own tools ........
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-22-2018, 8:47 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• FatChibs
      • Feb 2014

there are a few threads on this like the norcal sportster thread or "i wanna see extended forks with stock rake" etc. besides that , just figure out what you like and do that...

get on instagram and look at bikes there, save the ones you like and go from there. its not rocket appliances dude. its also almost a meme at this point to ask how many over is that, when usually its pretty obvious once you've been looking at bikes for a while. this question is incredibly vague unless you have a bike and frame in mind in the first place.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Yes sir there are threads all over the place that address that..... All you have to do is search...

Comment

• CoryAlexander
          • Jul 2013

I do. I have a straight leg frame that I’m going 2 up and 2 out on and VL I am having extended. I’m asking to see everything because to have this VL or any VL extended it’s quite pricey. I wish it was just a simple. “Find what I like and do that” thing but it’s not. Stock VL’s are way shorter than a other stock springers and way shorter then most suspended front ends. I can’t just look at an 8 over “anything” and be like “ok 8 over is what I want” cuz if I say 8 for a VL it’s really a 4. Or 12 over tubes for a pan wideglide would actually be a 10 over comparison to a new wideglide. Believe me I get what you’re saying but before I go and spend a shit load of money I’d rather know fersure

Comment

• MOTher
            • Sep 2012

In times where I have really needed a measurement of a pictured motorcycle, I look for a good straight on side shot, use something I know the measurement of, and make a quick scale. For example if it's got a 21" front wheel I measure bead seat to bead seat, make that line the horizontal in a right triangle, make the hypotenuse 2 5/8" long, (21/8) mark it in 1/8" increments, then draw a vertical at each increment Then I have a scale to measure other stuff in the pic. You probably have to print it out to do this. If you want to measure the forks, you'll know how long in inches, and how much longer that is than your VL or any other known fork.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by CoryAlexander
              Believe me I get what you’re saying but before I go and spend a shit load of money I’d rather know fersure
              Then spend a LOT of time searching and looking at bikes.... When I was trying to figure out the way I wanted my panhead to look like... All I knew is I wanted a true 60s bobber.... I watched hour after hour and purchased about 50, 60s and 70s biker movies.... All it takes is time and how bad you really want something to look...

Do the work yourself and you will appreciate the final results more...

Comment

• Cotton1
                • Aug 2017

I would enjoy looking if folks were to contribute.

Fwiw, I just watched easy rider tonight, but doubt if I know much more about rake. Need to watch 49 more flicks though...

Photobucket screwed up a lot of good old post that could be used for reference.

Good luck on your journey Corey,

Cotton1

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Cotton1

Fwiw, I just watched easy rider tonight, but doubt if I know much more about rake. Need to watch 49 more flicks though...

Cotton1
                  LOL Easy Rider is a poor choice of an old biker movie to look at bikes... Angels from Hell, Angles on Wheels are good ones... Looking at bikes and knowing what the rake is just by sight takes time.... But isn't that what it's all about?? Learning about what your doing and enjoying it...
                  Last edited by Tattooo; 03-22-2018, 6:50 AM.

Comment

• Vinson
                    • Jun 2012

Cotton1
                    If you use Chrome as your browser you can fix the Photobucket problem.

Comment

• Cotton1
                      • Aug 2017

Easy Rider sucks. I was just being an ass,but in good fun kinda way. Really there are lots of old biker movies that I have not seen(cant speak for OP) and probably would enjoy, that was a good point you made Tattoo. I may look into it myself.

Seriously though, there are tons of threads on here and other forums that I would love to go thru but the photobucket screwed em up. I will also admit that the times when I get frustrated, then get it all figured out I learned something that will stick, and yeah that is cool. Also thought MOTher's idea was neat. I tried that before but never felt like I was really getting an accurate measurement.

Anyways, it would be kick ass to see a whole new thread full of chopper pictures.What I was hoping for anyhow.

Just saw that about the Chrome, which I have on my phone. I will get the in house technology expert here( OL) to help me with that, thanks for the heads up!

Cotton1

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Anyways, it would be kick ass to see a whole new thread full of chopper pictures.What I was hoping for anyhow.
                        Cotton1
                        If so I hope people start posting pics... I'm glad you see where I'm coming from... Have a great cool but clear day...

Comment

• Natehate
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by CoryAlexander
                          I do. I have a straight leg frame that I’m going 2 up and 2 out on and VL I am having extended. I’m asking to see everything because to have this VL or any VL extended it’s quite pricey. I wish it was just a simple. “Find what I like and do that” thing but it’s not. Stock VL’s are way shorter than a other stock springers and way shorter then most suspended front ends. I can’t just look at an 8 over “anything” and be like “ok 8 over is what I want” cuz if I say 8 for a VL it’s really a 4. Or 12 over tubes for a pan wideglide would actually be a 10 over comparison to a new wideglide. Believe me I get what you’re saying but before I go and spend a shit load of money I’d rather know fersure

stock vl's are actually LONGER then knucklehead and panhead springers
                          thats why vl and the xa springers were the og chopper springers back in the day

Comment

• CoryAlexander
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
                            Yes sir there are threads all over the place that address that..... All you have to do is search...

Thank you

Comment

• CoryAlexander
                              • Jul 2013

Appreciate it. Easy rider? That’s funny I actually built my last bike kind of based on that look as well as just an old-school classic David Mann type a deal. It’s hard to see so many different styles so many different breaks so many different lengths. For some reason no matter what two things you have that may be the same they never are in the case of old bikes. But that’s kind of the beauty of it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;