CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 04 1200C Ugly Riser, HELP

Good Morning All,

First time with a technical/ advice post. I have a 2004 1200 Custom, you know, the one with the ugly kick back riser and the speedo mounted to it? What is my best option, or idea to get rid of that? I have seen the speedo relocate that mounts to the left side of the frame in front of the tank. But I've seen other options I just couldn't get any more info on it.

Im not against custom fab or finding someone that can do it as I don't have the machining tools required to build risers.

Maybe delete all wiring and run an electric speedo? I know there is tons of sportster expertise and I'd like to hear what you guys have to say, thats constructive of course.

Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's what I did, and it's all bolt-on. This was on a '96-'03 straight riser setup, which is very similar to the '04 and later. For a riser, I used the clamp HD started using in '60 for the 2 piece bars. There's a stainless cover that was used on Sportsters, or maybe you can find a chromed clamp. The bars are smaller apes, and were knurled for a FXSTS or FLSTS (springer softails) because the knurls are further apart on those. I cut the center section out, narrowing the bars and leaving just enough knurl to fit inside the clamp. I also drilled and de-burred the inside side of the dimple at the grip so I could run the wires internally.

Wiring: The XL1200C's wiring harness was too short for these bars, and I wanted to keep all of my stock wiring, so I got a pair of take-off switch housings and harness from a police Road King that was being civilianized, took the switches and wires I needed from them and put them in the Sportster's switch housings. I think I only had to solder 2 wires, and the rest was done using the factory wiring connectors and heat shrink tubing. If you can locate a set of switches and harness from a regular Road King or some other model long enough for the bars you want to use, with out a radio or lights and sirens they would bolt right on. (the cop switches were free, to me, so that's why I used those.) You may have to take the pins and sockets out of one set of connectors and put them in another, but this is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I wanted to keep the idiot lights, so I switched to an eyebrow headlight, the eyebrow of which is where the lights are for the non C models. Or you could extend the wiring harness you already have. Or you may be eliminating a lot of wiring - your call.

The speedometer housing is the stock '96-'03 housing, flipped upside down. There were a couple of locating tabs inside I had to remove. The spacing on the mounting bolts is the same as on the handlebar clamp, which is technically mounted backwards. I picked up a couple spacers and longer bolts at the hardware store so the speedo will clear and I can peek under it and see the idiot lights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xl12.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	82594

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scallop.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	82595

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks MOTher, Im going to start rummaging around for some of this stuff or a matching pattern stand alone riser set. I already have the longer cables as I've already got the bars on it I am going to use.

I wonder if the speedo will rotate in the mount to reverse it on the 04? Moving the speedo to the front of the bars rather than the back near the tank. Shes an ugly duck but Im going to do something with it!! lol. Thanks again my friend!

I am running a set of normal diagonal risers with a one piece clamp over the top and I relocated my speedo to the left side tank bolt with an Autometer gauge clamp. Been working fine for a while. Looks a hell of a lot cleaner than that stupid Custom riser thing. The one thing I noticed when I removed that is that a lot of wiring was hidden in there, so it was a bit of a chore cleaning all that up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Yodhan, the bike currently has forward controls on it, do you think the speedo being positioned there would hit my knee?

Not unless you have some crazy long money legs. I have long legs with forwards and don't have any problems.

Get Adobe Flash player

Im 6'3 but I don't see it being an issue after taking a look at the bike this morning.

Thanks again!

Share This