Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • albertaxs650
    • Aug 2014

1000 miles in a day on a rigid doable?

I live in Canada and want to take in born free this year just wondering whats the longest distances you've rode your ol faithful hard tailed horses in a day.
  • humancertainty
    • Mar 2014

Ive done plenty of 600+ mile days on my chopper.
    I don’t know that I’d want to do much more than that on any motorcycle. I understand if you absolutely have to make time but after all those miles all day it just stops being fun.

Comment

• Gvermin
      • Mar 2012

with some meth, that's doable.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

While I don't do rigids I do ride Shovels whose stock suspension is close to worthless. The secret is the seat. I unwisely sold my buddy seat after getting FXRs but they are the shit. My current seats are reupholstered Bar Enterprises solo seat pans. The wide asscheek support works well and I can flip them up to check oil. Narrow solo seats look great but suck for the reason narrow bicycle seats suck, "taint abuse".

I trailed my bro from Blue Hole Lake, LA to the middle of SC but he couldn't do it in one shot because he forgot the buddy seat for his rigid Knuck. His destination was near Seymour-Johnson AFB so he was doing more than 1000 miles. His Knuck ran flawlessly.

At first we stopped just for fuel and piss breaks, but then he had to stop every 100 then every ~50 miles because he was fucking dying. I-20 had rather tall expansion joints at the time and he felt every one of them. It was painful to watch. Finally his ass gave up and we crashed for a few hours at a rest stop. He was walking like Yosemite Sam.

If your seat isn't very comfortable do whatever you have to. Seats are easy to swap out and don't need to look good unless your ass has eyes. Those thick king/queen seats of the 1970s were that way because they work and more bikers daily'ed rigids back then.

A good back rest like a solidly packed bag makes a big difference. I wore a motocross kidney belt. You want a kidney belt of some kind. Check ADVrider etc for what's currently awesome. You only get one spine.

Comment

• MOTher
          • Sep 2012

There's some kind of a deal called the Iron Butt challenge where you ride 1000 miles in 24 hours, and you get some kind of recognition for it. It's not easy. Simple math will tell you that 1000 miles at an average of 60 mph (this includes stops to eat, stay hydrated, and use the bathroom) will take up 16 2/3 hours of your day. 600 mile days are doable if you're in shape, but they're long days.

Comment

• 47str8leg
            • Sep 2014

I've done about 300mi. In a day and the only things that kept me from doing more is having to get back home to my kids in the same day, dealing with horrendous traffic going to the bridges back onto Long Island, NY and the fact that I stopped off at an AMCA events for a few hours. My p-pads are set up for support and are easily removed and relocated on the fender for use as a passenger pad or removed for a two up seat. I guess I could have done another 100-150 miles and been ok. 1000 miles means boring Interstate travel. I'd try to do it in two days unless you need to .
            My brother did the Iron butt competition. It's actually 1500miles within 24hrs.
            I've done it ( 300 ) on both the bikes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1301115
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1301116
            Last edited by 47str8leg; 03-10-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by albertaxs650
              I live in Canada and want to take in born free this year just wondering whats the longest distances you've rode your ol faithful hard tailed horses in a day.
              Where there's a will, theres a way. help's to run the tire 10lbs lower,

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

1000 is doable but you won't be worth a damn for 3 days.... At least I wouldn't be.... LOL

Comment

• Davestune
                  • May 2014

i did 700 to 800 miles and it sucks, all highway. o a ridged 5 6oo maybe more never kept track of stupid shit back in the day.
                  but on a chopper with a solid mount seat i dont give a shit what seat u have your ass will hurt, also tailbone pain sucks.
                  If you have a 40;s 50;s bobber with the stock pogostick seat , you can ride for miles, I can ride my knuckle 500 get off it and be fine
                  I wont count my station wagon push button thing. I can ride non stop till im falling asleep on that twinkiewagon

Comment

• Davestune
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by 47str8leg
                    I've done about 300mi. In a day and the only things that kept me from doing more is having to get back home to my kids in the same day, dealing with horrendous traffic going to the bridges back onto Long Island, NY and the fact that I stopped off at an AMCA events for a few hours. My p-pads are set up for support and are easily removed and relocated on the fender for use as a passenger pad or removed for a two up seat. I guess I could have done another 100-150 miles and been ok. 1000 miles means boring Interstate travel. I'd try to do it in two days unless you need to .
                    My brother did the Iron butt competition. It's actually 1500miles within 24hrs.
                    I've done it ( 300 ) on both the bikes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82380[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]82381[/ATTACH]
                    Nice rides and monster

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                      • Jul 2010

I've done just over 500 in a day on my rigid and it wasn't too bad, but I also went to sleep about an hour after I stopped. Pretty tired. 1000 is doable, but may cost you your enthusiasm for riding motorcycles for at least a week after, lol.

Why do you need to do so many miles in a day?

Comment

• bludweiser
                        • Mar 2015

+1 on what farmall and humancertainty said. The fun does get taken out of it after so many miles. Choose your seat wisely and have an extra pad or seat you can put on top of the mounted seat on your bike once your ass starts feeling horrible. Do not rely on being able to do it for planning and routing purposes to get to the show on time. I rode to BF9 from western NY last year, had limited time off from work so we optimistically gave ourselves 5.5 days to get there. After some misadventures along the way (which is guaranteed on 4,000km trip) we ended up pushing way too hard to make it, riding interstate like madmen into the early hours of the morning camping at rest stops and starting again at 6 am. Twice we rode over 1k in 24 hours with a nap in-between. Made it to riverside on sunday morning and were total pieces of shit at the show, just fuckin wrecked. I'd say it was barely worth it. BTW I was on 96 sporty with 10" spring struts by spitfire and a slim seat, not truly rigid at all, my riding partner was on a 06 dyna with 11.5 inch shocks and a custom seat. Our pain was equal.
                        Last edited by bludweiser; 03-11-2018, 8:46 AM.

Comment

• Cory
                          • Oct 2010

Realistically on a rigid chopper 600 miles is a really good day. That's doing it solo or with one riding partner. Add a few more people and every gas stop turns into a shit show. Which is a huge deal when your trying to cover ground. I'm from the prairies too, so any big road trips I make, the plan is to make tracks out of here and put in two good long days, then slow it down and enjoy the new scenery.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

Choose your seat wisely and have an extra pad or seat you can put on top of the mounted seat on your bike once your ass starts feeling horrible., by bludweiser.

I found a couple of peanut-shaped car washing sponges at a gas station on a long trip which were a save-yur...
                            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• ChopperDani
                              • Apr 2016

yulp, its doable

done it, and when i reached my destination, i passed out in my tent for 2 days. And missed the whole event. Wont do that again. My body was full on stressed to the max.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;