CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Stator/rotor combination for shovel and no battery

So I'm running a megneto on my shovel and wanted to go without the battery. But since it's pricey to swap it all out I haven't done it yet.

But now I just discovered that the connector on my stator is badly corroded and the insulation starting to burn. So time for a new one.
    So if I go for the Cycle Electric regulator needed to run with no battery it has the male type connector. The stator for my '78 also has the male type plug. So getting one meant for my year would be no good.

The question is then, can I go for the '81 and up 22A stator from Cycle Electric, that has the female type plug, with the CE regulator and still use the original Rotor from the '78 motor?

I have no clue what or if any effect it has to use a rotor from a 18A system on a 22A system.

Any schooling on this would be hoghly appreciated.

Andri

Get Adobe Flash player

These are the cycle electric parts you'll need for a no battery post 1970 shovel:
    CE-8188 stator (29965-81A, 81-88 BIG TWIN)
    CE-204NB regulator

Reuse your rotor if the magnets are in good shape.
    Last edited by Blackbetty; 03-08-2018 at 9:59 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

If your budget can handle it, would be wise to up-grade your Oem rotor to a Vote-Tech ...

Volt Tech alternator rotor features vibration proof magnet construction and includes a built in spacer in reinforced spline area.
    Magnets are held in place by stainless steel non-magnetic insert for durability. The spline is 7/16" thick.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    If your budget can handle it, would be wise to up-grade your Oem rotor to a Vote-Tech ...

Volt Tech alternator rotor features vibration proof magnet construction and includes a built in spacer in reinforced spline area.
    Magnets are held in place by stainless steel non-magnetic insert for durability. The spline is 7/16" thick.
    that thing is nice

Get Adobe Flash player

If the rotor is of unknown age I replace them. Most Shovel reliability problems are electrical due to age, so I replace instead of "flying until failure".

The distance between each magnet should be the same but they often shift when the adhesive fails. It's quite unpleasant when they catch on the stator.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you do stay with the Oem rotor, be a good idea to change out the sprocket shaft spacer to one of these...

Features built in seal flange to give added support for alternator rotor.

Share This