Shipping Container & Semi trailers workshops & storage-Ideas-Tech-howto & SHOW YOURS!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dougtheinternetannoyance123
    • Apr 2012

Shipping Container & Semi trailers workshops & storage-Ideas-Tech-howto & SHOW YOURS!

READ THIS FIRST-LETS TRY TO KEEP THIS TECH FOCUSED AND IDEAS AND EXAMPLES, THANKS!!!

Excellent suggestion from Farmall, Lets make a tech post! Based on ideas for shipping, storage and workshops I am going to post up some of what I know, and soon will post updates after remodeling some of mine & my "Adventures in Moving!" (Nothing I do ever goes to plan, I screw up a lot!)

So, Stay tuned for more pix and updates but a little background:
    I used to run a shop, and prolific collector (Also known as Hoarder) I came VERY close in 2017 to appearing on American Pickers. It came down to contract signing time with the producers and I backed out. I dont want to get harassed each time late night TV reruns my episode and people are chasing me down in the grocery store " I need a BSA LH foot peg whitworth nut and I KNOW you have them!" Maybe I should have,, They spent the most money ever while here in Oregon. I did tell them to send the badass chick from the store instead of the 2 goofballs.

So my first purchase was I had a big farm and 3 bay shop, But I was filling up all my space and then some, So my neighbor on his farm was selling a Semi trailer. This was a "Railroad shipper" Which means it went on & off train flatbeds and had more bracing and features than a regular semi truck box trailer. (Axles slide Fwd & back for turn radius, More internal bracing and heavier overall construction as well as a solid oak floor). Most OTR semis are limited to 80,000 lbs gross, so the lighter the truck/trailer the more freight=Money$$$ So not a lot of market for a trailer like mine. But I love the thing. High cube (Tall) and 48 ft long, can lock it and very secure.
    I paid $1000 w/title. It was also mobile & I hired a local trucker "Big Vinny" and he moved it for me multiple times. At one point we were going to convert it into 1/2 shop & 1/2 storage and take it to regional biker events, swap meets and rallies, But legalities stood in the way (insurance, Maint, Tags & regis)

(Add pix here x2)

Keep in mind, Older trailers dont have huge value, you CAN cut off the axles and landing gear and make it a stationary container, Or back it into a hillside cutout and be flush with the ground. One issue, Tires age, Axles have bearings and oil, and brakes. If you want to put back in service this has to be addressed. One other thing to look for is old Reefer units. The AC cooler/Refrig can be removed and these Trailers are already well insulated and why that is important I will address shortly.

I added lighting, shelving and run my Air compressors inside it instead of the workshop and then run a air line INTO the shop. Saves space and not as noisy.

(Add more tech text here)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping containers: Totally modular and useful, There is a crap-ton of websites on design ideas, How to's and designs you can look at on the web, No point in rehashing it all here or repeating it all, surf to your hearts content. Ill just hit some high points and my experience.
    I currently have 2 40 fts High cubes. They present many opportunities but their own challenges, There is MORE value in 20 footers for many reasons. #1 is moving them. In my area there is limited services for moving a 40 footer, But Any roll off tow truck can move a 20 footer and place it damn near where you want it. Its not just size, its also weight. In many ways, Its better to go multiple 20's than 40's. You can stack containers, or weld/bolt them together, add a truss clear span across several, Or even make them portable on a trailer or RV frame.

Doesnt this one look bad ass???? (No its not mine, but that gives you an idea.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	shipping-containerikeshop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	1342595

Here is mine being moved into place by a local company called Container lifters NW, and yes, The mgr and driver is a dead ringer for Papa Smurf, But this one charges $125 per hr. (IE: Have your sh*t together, have more than enough room and above all DO NOT GET THE DELIVERY TRUCK STUCK like I did, Because if you do, Semi truck tow trucks charge $250 per hr and take their sweet A$$ Time)

Name:	containerhere2MVC-001F (1).JPG
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1342596Click image for larger version

Name:	ContainerhereMVC-004F.JPG
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1342597

These are not staying in these locations, My farm is under renov and building a new shop and other construction. But I got a way of moving them on the farm. (insert Youtube epic fail-Here hold my Beer hillbilly video clip)

Plan is this summer is paint the exteriors dark forest green. My neighbor suggested making one look like a giant catepillar?Centipede with rebar legs and big googly eyes facing the side road (My neighbors get an eyeful as it is, This would freak out the looky lou's & Rubber neckers) But you can paint or reside the exterior however you like, Some face them with wood siding or shingles, But paint offers a LOT of options,, If your neighbors or the govt complain, Paint it as an American Flag, and scream "Why the F### Do You Hate Our Freedom??" and make it a first amendment issue which MIGHT or Might NOT get you around code enforcement or HOA. (Helps if you are Veteran w/ issues)

Name:	containerFLAG.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1342598

I already got shelving and some of the lighting up in mine, But its gotta come out this summer when we move them and do the rest of the painting (Inside & out) plus the flooring and some of the plumbing/wiring so right now stuff is not as organized as I like.

I found some sources for checker board laminate flooring, and seeing other containers it looks like a million bucks. I also have been buying commercial pallet racks and Industrial shelving. Shop CL, Industrial recyclers and auctions for discounted shelving and pallet racks. Some I bought are really wide and I am cutting down and rewelding the end posts (I call them goal posts) to make narrower. I am cheap, poor, and a scrounger so, modify what I can get/find rather than pay top dollar. But even old scrap with a fresh coat of Industrial paint can look damn nice.

Lighting - Electrical: The new LED 4 ft shop lights are amazing, and come up for sale a lot, Been buying them as I can afford it, they are 10x better than my existing Fluorescent shop light fixtures, Draw less power, and above all,, When its cold as hell, they come on instantly instead of the old ballasts. Plus, they are VERY BRIGHT. Good idea to use proper wiring, terminals, junction boxs and conduit, If you dont know how, bribe someone who does with Beers or favors. A small breaker box in the entrance and run the power in thru a conduit, and you dont need much just for lights. ( 20 amp??), Not a bad idea to add a few 110v outlets so you can plug in a drop light or dehumidifier, alarm or other. If you ARE converting to a workshop with welder, Machinery etc,, then that is a topic in itself,. But there is some good software and designs out there for ideas. Keep in mind, this is a STEEL Structure, so dont electrocute yourself!

This one is a tip out design and should make any gear head Drool,,,,

Name:	ContainerIndustrialf1fd0b86cbbc5ddc0.jpg
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1342599
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

I prefer my shelves not touch the floor (fuck sweeping around anything more than I must) so I fab mine to hang from the tiedown loops on the ceiling corners. It's easy to torch bend 1/2" round bar to make hooks and more loops as desired. Steel prices are quite reasonable lately and I get what I want vs hassling with scrap or bidding on then transporting shelves from auction. I use 1 1/2" x 3/16" thick angle in upward facing "trays" then place plywood in those. I don't permanently mount shelving so I can remove or change it easily as I add machine tools. I attach the trays to the uprights with bolts and all-metal locknuts so I can reconfigure them in future if needed.

I mount cheap LED shop lights beneath the shelves on flat stock which rests beneath the plywood. Easy to reconfigure that way. I use bounce house fans for ventilation which works very well and comes in handy when welding. I tack weld elevator bolt flanges to some 1/8" sheet steel drops I got free. Elevator bolts are nice for tacking to flat surfaces anywhere you'd like to stud mount something.

3M 5200 is an ideal sealant for metal structures. It's for thru-hull marine use and makes silicone RTV caulks a sad joke by comparison.

Hole saws and cheap spray oil are the ticket for making holes for conduit and plumbing.

Never use chain store roof coating. Corten does rust and shit coatings actually trap moisture. I use a knotted cup style wire wheel in my 9" grinder for cleanup prior to coating. I have some test patches on one container and Rustoleum red primer has held up the best. It will get Sherwin-Williams industrial coating over that.

Containers are typically delivered on a rollback straight truck (20 footers) or a Landoll trailer (40s and up). A good driver can place them within inches.

A railroad tie under each end makes a good foundation. You can level more precisely by shimming. A second outboard of each foundation tie makes a nice step and place to put bike ramps. My 40 ft. High Cube with doors on each end is a ride through garage. I'm getting too old to wrassle shit and no sane mechanic wants to work harder than necessary.

I moved mine into areas the Landoll couldn't go by using pipe rollers on railroad ties. A hand winch is sufficient and it's not hard work. Snatch blocks are your friends. Pad any trees you deadman to. If you have a winch on your truck you don't have to be near your container to use it. That's why winch cables are long. You can also use just a winch cable and fittings if you don't own or want to buy a winch or if you want to extend your winches reach. Same precautions apply.

Welder front panel fittings aren't expensive. I installed two Dinse style (Tweco females are of course available) in my sidewall and don't need to open my end doors to sling welding cables. They have marked pigtails hanging inside for convenient connection. I store extra cable on hooks inside one end door along with welding hose and extension cords. I do NOT store flammable gas cylinders in my shop. An acetylene explosion can scatter any normal and most abnormal buildings. I do keep inert gas inside with my welders. (If you have a fire you could cut the hose, open the cylinder then leave and shut the door behind you. Rather like inerting a jet fighter fuel tank except those use Halon.)

Adding a man door is a good idea to keep out foul weather and conserve heat or air conditioning while reducing the hassle of opening end doors. We fabbed a door frame for my bro using 2" x 3/16" angle and a stick of 1" for the inside surface the door seals against. One 20 ft stick of each size got it done cheap. Pic is inside view during installation. He wanted his man door in the end door since his container shop backs up to a treeline, but you can put them where ever you like. Door was fifty bucks new in the box from a contractor buddy. Lock is some high tech beast he scored on Ebay. He machined his own hinges because he enjoys it.

Easy way to fab the door frame is on saw horses. Place door on horses, align 2" angle to door with some clearance (how much depends on door thickness) for opening, tack then weld. Flip door and frame over then place the smaller angle for the door to seal against. Leave some room for weatherstrip if you use it by shimming the small angle away from the door. Tack then weld. Primer is self-etching from the auto store. Regular primer is porous to water so I don't use it for this sort of work.

I welded a hunk of channel facing upwards on one end of my roof so I can place the last rung of a ladder in the channel. Ladder can't fall off even if I'm hanging off it.

Note notched angle to clear door fitting:

BTW if you rent, you can still use a 20-footer and take it with you easily since they fit on medium duty rollbacks. No crane required. I should have done that instead of my shop bus, which was a stupid idea I'll never repeat.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by farmall; 03-08-2018, 5:47 PM.

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

One of my dads friends bought the biggest Winnebago he could find when he retired ripped out everything except the shower-toilet & the stove installed a full width door in the back then a full blown head shop, float table, sanding surfacer the works. He would take about a hundred heads go to the lake to machine fish and drink and make money where he wanted to be. He did end up putting a VW engine in his genset so the neighbors wouldn' complain about the generator noise. So maybe leaving it mobile is a good idea for some.
      Dusty
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

A Winnebago is a much better candidate than a bus for modding because it's got far more usable internal space and was designed with reasonable headroom. There are lots of cool toy haulers made from modded RVs.

Pic is inside my bros container machine shop. He just finished insulating the door posted above to match his walls. He used construction adhesive to put up the furring strips on the walls and roof.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by farmall; 03-09-2018, 6:37 PM.

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by farmall
          A Winnebago is a much better candidate than a bus for modding because it's got far more usable internal space and was designed with reasonable headroom. There are lots of cool toy haulers made from modded RVs.

Pic is inside my bros container machine shop. He just finished insulating the door posted above to match his walls. He used construction adhesive to put up the furring strips on the walls and roof.
          Have you got a pic of the whole thing?
          Dusty
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

I'll get some. The shots I have aren't great because every time I'm there we are working on something. I'll get more shots of mine too. He scored a bunch of dental lights that normally hang from the ceiling, pulled the old incandescent bulbs and mounted LEDs to them. I have a couple too and they are awesome for machine tool lighting.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;