Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurkeySandwich
    • May 2012

XS650 Petcock is leaking like a sieve

Hey, so my 83 xs650 is draining fuel into the carb at a drastic rate. Form what the mechanic said it was a vacume petcock that in the off position just let it all drain. From what I understand they are notoriously difficult to fix and I was curious if I could switch to a gravity petcock will there be an issue?
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Gravity is fine. Consider it an upgrade and remember to shut it off every time. You'll still forget, everyone does, but it's not a big deal.

I fucking hate vacuum petcocks. Not that I don't forget about once a year and leave a conventional fuel valve open, but not having the extra complexity (vacuum lines leak, diaphragms fail etc) is well worth it.

Comment

• electraboogaloo
      • Apr 2018

if it's a vacuum petcock it has no true "off" it has a "prime" "run" and "reserve." there should be a fuel line coming out and a vacuum line going to the back of it. the petcock is "off" when in the "run" position with the engine off. if you're seeing fuel flow into the carbs without the engine running then it may be time for a petcock rebuild kit. If it's coming out of the carb overflow then check your floats and maybe adjust them.

Comment

• datadavid
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by electraboogaloo
        if it's a vacuum petcock it has no true "off" it has a "prime" "run" and "reserve." there should be a fuel line coming out and a vacuum line going to the back of it. the petcock is "off" when in the "run" position with the engine off. if you're seeing fuel flow into the carbs without the engine running then it may be time for a petcock rebuild kit. If it's coming out of the carb overflow then check your floats and maybe adjust them.
        If its pissing out the carbs on prime, float valves are more probably leaking.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;