CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Shovelhead open belt primary belt wonít fit

Hey guys, Iíve been researching and researching but canít seem to find a solution to the problem Iím having.

The belt on this BDL 1.5 open primary seems just a tad short. I canít get the damn thing on. The trans is pushed up against the frame so I am out of room there... other than this issue everything is lined up and good to go... just canít get this damn belt on.. any suggestions? Does anyone make a little bit longer belt so I can adjust accordingly?
    Last thing I want is an over tight belt. Am I missing something here?
    Thanks

BDL 1.5 open primary
    1980 shovel motor
    Early paughco frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2D83BC44-252C-4DD2-8E15-F55F5B4DACC6.jpg   1DBC8A9E-25F0-482D-9E5B-92182E2685F4.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I believe that BDL makes a one tooth smaller front sprocket.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 47str8leg View Post
    I believe that BDL makes a one tooth smaller front sprocket.
    They also may have belts that have the same tooth count, but is made longer...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    They also may have belts that have the same tooth count, but is made longer...
    Hmmm..that's news to me. I know they have 8&11 mm belts with different tooth counts because the teeth are two different sizes. That spacing matches the notches on the sprockets. How can they elongate a belt without adding teeth to match the spacing ?

SamHain

Quote Originally Posted by 47str8leg View Post
    Hmmm..that's news to me. I know they have 8&11 mm belts with different tooth counts because the teeth are two different sizes. That spacing matches the notches on the sprockets. How can they elongate a belt without adding teeth to match the spacing ?
    BE vs ST. Same toothcount slightly different length.

Either should fit, but ST was too tight for my taste

Get Adobe Flash player

What does BE stand for ? I'm assuming ST is "standard ".

Get Adobe Flash player

I have the same issue with my BDL belt drive on my Shovel. They sent me a belt that was a little bigger. I could get it on but it's still to tight. They didn't mention a different front pulley. I guess I have to call them again. My belt is verytight and will eventually wipe out as bearing or seal in the trans.

Get Adobe Flash player

The 2" doesn't have these problems. I've heard about it with the 1&1/2 breaking belts . Especially when enclosed due to heat build up. My friend Drew was having these problems a few years back . He told me about the pulley.

SamHain

Heard it was bullseye. Fuck if I know what either of them mean. I was told BE was the short one and st was stretch, but It ain’t BE is longer

Get Adobe Flash player

I would put the front pulley all the way on the sprocket shaft and then start working the belt on. It will be tight, especially when the belt is brand new.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was recently running into the same issue, BDL gave me a slightly smaller front pulley (-1 tooth) That should be your fix.

For my setup (closed softail primary w no adjustment) it ended up being too loose, I purchased a different belt and got my old pulley back, new belt did the trick. The guy at BDL told me they have been having issues for around 6 years or so with the belt manufacturer and slightly different lengths

Get Adobe Flash player

Don't know if I buy that excuse from BDL. Gates has been making quality belts for years .

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I was recently running into the same issue, BDL gave me a slightly smaller front pulley (-1 tooth) That should be your fix.

For my setup (closed softail primary w no adjustment) it ended up being too loose, I purchased a different belt and got my old pulley back, new belt did the trick. The guy at BDL told me they have been having issues for around 6 years or so with the belt manufacturer and slightly different lengths
    I was on the phone with BDL about 2 weeks ago ordering a new clutch hub and I was told that there has been a problem for years with aftermarket frames having the center post in the wrong location and trans plate too far back......... I'm in the same situation, mine fits TIGHT! I have to install the motor sprocket first, and wiggle it on both sprockets at the same time, and my trans is jammed all the way forward.

Get Adobe Flash player

When you find a belt that works, buy two. You can't count on finding spares on the road, and they won't get any less expensive.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jsaz666 View Post
    I was on the phone with BDL about 2 weeks ago ordering a new clutch hub and I was told that there has been a problem for years with aftermarket frames having the center post in the wrong location and trans plate too far back......... I'm in the same situation, mine fits TIGHT! I have to install the motor sprocket first, and wiggle it on both sprockets at the same time, and my trans is jammed all the way forward.
    Yeah that was brought up to me too, but I'm running an HD frame with an HD inner primary, ever tried a 2nd inner, no dice.

Kinda sucks because now I have an extra belt but it wont fit my current setup, going to attempt to trade them haha

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey man I had to go with a new front pulley and it fit perfect after that!! Had the same issue with mine.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had the same problem on my 1.5 on my Pan, luckily I was able to mill my trans plate so I can scoot the trans forward then adjust. Is it hitting the frame or just stopping in the plate? I originally thought my trans was into the frame but it had about a 1/4" I was able to move it which ended up being plenty. Now a side of the road belt change is loosen trans and axle move adjusters, slide forward, swap belt and re tension everything....boom done

It is hitting the frame... After speaking with BLD he said there is supposed to be a flat spot in the down post where the trans can get a little more wiggle room. But my frame does not have it. So working on getting a bigger belt or smaller front pully from them. Waiting for a call back from them. Thanks fellas

Get Adobe Flash player

Found my old BDL installation and parts guide.
    BE probably means "Belt Early" for all generator applications.
    ST came for alternator motors from 70-78. The end of the ratchet tops ?
    If you have a tapered front pulley then only the rear sprocket can be changed to one smaller tooth.
    With a splined front the rear stays the same and the fronts can be changed.
    I don't know for sure but I don't think it's a good idea to swap those two type belts instead of a pulley. The kick vs. electric start pulley must be machined slightly different . Could lead to the belt jumping a tooth under load ( like , an emergency situation) and shearing it's teeth off.
    But this is just speculation on my part.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7054.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	82272
    Last edited by 47str8leg; 03-05-2018 at 1:59 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

If my frame required more clearance, I'd make some. It's only steel and the area is suitably buried so dicking up the paint wouldn't matter much.

Snatch tranny after determining desired clearance, grind clearance with an angle grinder, check that there's sufficient room, insert then weld plate inside hole in downtube. (Tack a bolt to plate so you have a handle then grind off bolt when done.)

Share This