• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Jfuller
      That all makes sense..
      Yes sir....

Comment

• Davestune
        • May 2014

think about running the early style headlamp bracket. it will look nice and clean

Comment

• 47str8leg
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Davestune
          those 5 gallon tanks look big to me..
          when you bolt them tanks on , do it now and allso with dash and cover..
          bolt the rear of the tank 1st. Then move to the front and washer up between tabs and tank. Both top and bottom, The reason for this is when you pull the tanks into the frame it pulls on the tabs and either pulls out and leaks or the tab breaks.
          You need to make sure you have clearance for your dash plate and set height for dash cover, theres spacers that go under the dash plate, take the tiwan ted dash base and toss it in the trash and go on fleabay and buy a oem one.
          make sure the right side tank aint hittin the rear jug and you can grind the lower front tab and egg out holes to make it fit
          that is if u gunna runa a dash
          Just went through this on a basket case build with a set of 3&1/2 gallon aftermarket fatbobs. New tanks that came with the build. I wound up having to space the top front and back to have it all line up right and not hit the head. So wide I can't use any dash and have to have a leather tank bib made. The cats eye comes close but would still need the cover modified to fit correctly. I finally bailed after a couple of afternoons dicking around and running to a friends house who has multiple dashes and covers to try to use. They are shimmed correctly and won't leak but I really wanted to run a dash and speedo that came with it.
          A lot to be said for oem tanks.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 47str8leg
            Yep you got that shit right.... Yes I know they are more expensive than the cheap repro crap that's out there.... But hell at least they fit....

Comment

• Davestune
              • May 2014

Just went through this on a basket case build with a set of 3&1/2 gallon aftermarket fatbobs. New tanks that came with the build. I wound up having to space the top front and back to have it all line up right and not hit the head. So wide I can't use any dash and have to have a leather tank bib made. The cats eye comes close but would still need the cover modified to fit correctly. I finally bailed after a couple of afternoons dicking around and running to a friends house who has multiple dashes and covers to try to use. They are shimmed correctly and won't leak but I really wanted to run a dash and speedo that came with it.
              Yup so many people cant use tanks on stock setups
              Fucking junk,
              I wont part with my oem 51 to 53 tanks

Comment

• Jfuller
                • Jul 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	4EB5B6A3-6846-4E12-96AD-E76C185778B3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1301209Click image for larger version

Name:	FBF632FF-C34E-4F85-86FB-B029F71BE224.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1301210

It seems to me that there should be a lower front tank mount tab that comes off the back of the strap between the front down tubes. And if you look at the second pic you can see how crooked the tanks sit on there, as well as my lack of a back mount. (To be fabricated later)

Comment

• Jfuller
                  • Jul 2016

think about running the early style headlamp bracket. it will look nice and clean
                  I’ll have to look into my options as far as headlight brackets.. I have a semi tall set of bars going on this bike so I’d like to split the difference and balance the front end of the bike with the headlight without it looking like it’s suprised going down the road, or like a caveman with a giant forehead..

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82496[/ATTACH]

Those tanks in the second pic look like hell..... I can't weld worth a damn and I can weld better than that....

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

I wont part with my oem 51 to 53 tanks
                      Yep that's why I paid what I did for my 46 OEM tanks.. Because they fit...

Comment

• Jfuller
                        • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                        Those tanks in the second pic look like hell..... I can't weld worth a damn and I can weld better than that....
                        The shadows make it look worse than it is. But they don’t fit quite right. This next pay day I’m going to probably run down and get the oem tanks off the wall at the local bike shop.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                          • Sep 2014

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82496[/ATTACH]

It seems to me that there should be a lower front tank mount tab that comes off the back of the strap between the front down tubes. And if you look at the second pic you can see how crooked the tanks sit on there, as well as my lack of a back mount. (To be fabricated later)
                          Yeah you need to put on the back tabs and the tab between the front down tubes. A few different places sell those castings or tabs.

Comment

• Jfuller
                            • Jul 2016

Yeah you need to put on the back tabs and the tab between the front down tubes. A few different places sell those castings or tabs.
                            Do you happen to have an internet link or something I can follow to find em? I don’t think it would be hard to fabricate, but I don’t have my new garage set up quite yet.

Comment

• Jfuller
                              • Jul 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	A3947BA3-E710-467D-B9F5-24ADF20B2658.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1301231

More inspiration

Comment

• Tattooo
                                • Sep 2012