X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheMKoi
    • Jun 2016

Intruder 1400 to 1500 engine swap

Hello all

I was looking on line and I couldn't find much on the subject of swapping out the 1400 engine for the later produced 1500 engine. Does anyone know if this is possible with the stock engine mounts? I am sure I could squeak it in to my frame now but I was just wondering why people are not doing this?

Thank you,

TheMKoi
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by TheMKoi
    Hello all

I was looking on line and I couldn't find much on the subject of swapping out the 1400 engine for the later produced 1500 engine. Does anyone know if this is possible with the stock engine mounts? I am sure I could squeak it in to my frame now but I was just wondering why people are not doing this?

Thank you,

TheMKoi
    I don't know about squeekin' it in - can you measure each of them or find frame measurements?

What is it that you are after - the 5 speed trans, or a bigger engine?

From enforcer on intruders-alert; http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopic.php?t=4644
    "If you're hoping to get better highway gearing, I'll stop you right there. It's not worth the effort. The 4 speed had taller gearing through the first three and almost no difference between 4th on the 4 and 5th on the 5. All you get is marginally better acceleration."

From DrBob on motorcycleforums.net; http://www.motorcycleforums.net/foru...g-motor-2.html
    "There are aftermarket big bore kits available for the Intruder 1400/ S83 also, which let you bump it up to about 1700cc with new cylinders and pistons, plus the other performance parts you need to see a significant power increase. Made and sold only in Europe, they are crazy expensive and require some machining to move the cylinder studs, but I hear they do make impressive power. But I am not going to spend 8-10 grand to find out LOL!"
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• John83
      • Jan 2018

I had a 1400 for a long time. I don't think the 1500 engine made all that much more power. The later model 5 speed 1400 engines did not improve the gearing ratios very much, the 1500 did have taller gears. If a 5 speed tranny is what you're looking for the 1500 gears will fit in a 1400.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Hello all

Thank you,

TheMKoi
        Why???? It's not worth the time it takes to do the swap...

Comment

• TheMKoi
          • Jun 2016

Hey Guys thanks for the feedback.

I was under the assumption that the 1500 was single carbed but as I looked into it a bit more I found that it still uses 2 carbs side by side.

My plan was to make more room under the seat if the Rear Carb wasn't in the way.

But it looks like it will remain how it is.

Thanks again

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Hey Guys thanks for the feedback.

I was under the assumption that the 1500 was single carbed but as I looked into it a bit more I found that it still uses 2 carbs side by side.

My plan was to make more room under the seat if the Rear Carb wasn't in the way.

But it looks like it will remain how it is.

Thanks again
            one carb - That's what you should have said at the start...

Look here; Intruder VS 1400 carb conversion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAAzSGhBFQ

1400 single carb
            Click image for larger version

Name:	file.php?avatar=399_1488084408.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1300908

Is it stock?
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TheMKoi
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
              one carb - That's what you should have said at the start...

Look here; Intruder VS 1400 carb conversion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAAzSGhBFQ

1400 single carb
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]82100[/ATTACH]

Is it stock?
              Yeah I saw that video and the pic. I believe the pic is Fred's setup and I think he still hasn't got it to run well.

The video looks promising though. But I didn't really want to go through the trouble of redesigning the intake. If I was able to swap out the motor then the intake would go with it.

I have no problem with customizing the frame I am just a little unfamiliar with the intake and air fuel ratios.

Also the carbs and frame are not stock.

Carbs are sitting with Pod filters and jetted out.

Frame has 6" stretch in the down tubes and custom back bone to suit.
              Last edited by TheMKoi; 02-26-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Jasonisdico
                • May 2010

Are you capable of machining? If you’re after the single carb, why not go crazy and try to spin the rear cylinder 180°? That would be easy to build a manifold for, and exhaust would exit both on the right side. Not an easy task to take on, for sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s not doable!

Comment

• TheMKoi
                  • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Jasonisdico
                  Are you capable of machining? If you’re after the single carb, why not go crazy and try to spin the rear cylinder 180°? That would be easy to build a manifold for, and exhaust would exit both on the right side. Not an easy task to take on, for sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s not doable!
                  Yeah well that was not a thought that had crossed my mind.

Originally I thought about the 1500 cylinder swap, then I thought well what about the whole engine. Then I found out it still has the twin carbs.

I like your idea about flipping the rear cylinder. However I looked into some cutsheets of the cylinders and the way the timing chain is run internally in the cylinders really prevents this from being a possibility in my mind.

I think for the amount of effort I might as well be happy with what I have and just keep tinkering until I get the bike exactly how I want it. My time could be better spent building a seat or rewiring the bike after I drop the fuel pump.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;