CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Intruder 1400 to 1500 engine swap

Hello all

I was looking on line and I couldn't find much on the subject of swapping out the 1400 engine for the later produced 1500 engine. Does anyone know if this is possible with the stock engine mounts? I am sure I could squeak it in to my frame now but I was just wondering why people are not doing this?

Thank you,

TheMKoi

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TheMKoi View Post
    Hello all

I was looking on line and I couldn't find much on the subject of swapping out the 1400 engine for the later produced 1500 engine. Does anyone know if this is possible with the stock engine mounts? I am sure I could squeak it in to my frame now but I was just wondering why people are not doing this?

Thank you,

TheMKoi
    I don't know about squeekin' it in - can you measure each of them or find frame measurements?

What is it that you are after - the 5 speed trans, or a bigger engine?

From enforcer on intruders-alert; http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopic.php?t=4644
    "If you're hoping to get better highway gearing, I'll stop you right there. It's not worth the effort. The 4 speed had taller gearing through the first three and almost no difference between 4th on the 4 and 5th on the 5. All you get is marginally better acceleration."

From DrBob on motorcycleforums.net; http://www.motorcycleforums.net/foru...g-motor-2.html
    "There are aftermarket big bore kits available for the Intruder 1400/ S83 also, which let you bump it up to about 1700cc with new cylinders and pistons, plus the other performance parts you need to see a significant power increase. Made and sold only in Europe, they are crazy expensive and require some machining to move the cylinder studs, but I hear they do make impressive power. But I am not going to spend 8-10 grand to find out LOL!"

I had a 1400 for a long time. I don't think the 1500 engine made all that much more power. The later model 5 speed 1400 engines did not improve the gearing ratios very much, the 1500 did have taller gears. If a 5 speed tranny is what you're looking for the 1500 gears will fit in a 1400.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hello all

Thank you,

TheMKoi
    Why???? It's not worth the time it takes to do the swap...

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Guys thanks for the feedback.

I was under the assumption that the 1500 was single carbed but as I looked into it a bit more I found that it still uses 2 carbs side by side.

My plan was to make more room under the seat if the Rear Carb wasn't in the way.

But it looks like it will remain how it is.

Thanks again

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Guys thanks for the feedback.

I was under the assumption that the 1500 was single carbed but as I looked into it a bit more I found that it still uses 2 carbs side by side.

My plan was to make more room under the seat if the Rear Carb wasn't in the way.

But it looks like it will remain how it is.

Thanks again
    one carb - That's what you should have said at the start...

Look here; Intruder VS 1400 carb conversion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAAzSGhBFQ

1400 single carb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.php?avatar=399_1488084408.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	82100
    http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewt...=6283&start=20

Is it stock?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    one carb - That's what you should have said at the start...

Look here; Intruder VS 1400 carb conversion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAAzSGhBFQ

1400 single carb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.php?avatar=399_1488084408.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	82100
    http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewt...=6283&start=20

Is it stock?
    Yeah I saw that video and the pic. I believe the pic is Fred's setup and I think he still hasn't got it to run well.

The video looks promising though. But I didn't really want to go through the trouble of redesigning the intake. If I was able to swap out the motor then the intake would go with it.

I have no problem with customizing the frame I am just a little unfamiliar with the intake and air fuel ratios.

Also the carbs and frame are not stock.

Carbs are sitting with Pod filters and jetted out.

Frame has 6" stretch in the down tubes and custom back bone to suit.
    Last edited by TheMKoi; 02-26-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you capable of machining? If you’re after the single carb, why not go crazy and try to spin the rear cylinder 180°? That would be easy to build a manifold for, and exhaust would exit both on the right side. Not an easy task to take on, for sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s not doable!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonisdico View Post
    Are you capable of machining? If you’re after the single carb, why not go crazy and try to spin the rear cylinder 180°? That would be easy to build a manifold for, and exhaust would exit both on the right side. Not an easy task to take on, for sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s not doable!
    Yeah well that was not a thought that had crossed my mind.

Originally I thought about the 1500 cylinder swap, then I thought well what about the whole engine. Then I found out it still has the twin carbs.

I like your idea about flipping the rear cylinder. However I looked into some cutsheets of the cylinders and the way the timing chain is run internally in the cylinders really prevents this from being a possibility in my mind.

I think for the amount of effort I might as well be happy with what I have and just keep tinkering until I get the bike exactly how I want it. My time could be better spent building a seat or rewiring the bike after I drop the fuel pump.

Share This