Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonny2by4
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by sportychops
    Installed everything finally. Ran into a couple snags. 2016 Sportster XL883N models have a cartridge damper (kind of like a sport bike set up) on the left fork, whereas the right fork has the traditional damper tube. After looking through older Sportster model manuals, I found that up to 2015 (I think) they used traditional damper on both sides. So, I purchased all the right side internals from HD and installed it on the left side. So far, she handles fine, but hasn't been taken out at highway speeds or over a hellava lot of potholes, etc.

Still need a headlight...and need to weld an extension onto the jiffy.

Here's a photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84154[/ATTACH]
    I'm looking into doing this myself I also have a 16 iron and that stupid cartridge damper put a halt to everything, I already have my Frank's 8over tubes just need that left side done, were you able to order just the right side internals from HD? and if so what did that run you?

Comment

• wot2t
      • Sep 2017

i just put +4's on my '04. i thought it might hurt turning a little bit harder, but i'd just get over it. turns out, i feel like it actually turns better now. i got a jig coming in the mail. rake is next....

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by wot2t
        i just put +4's on my '04. i thought it might hurt turning a little bit harder, but i'd just get over it. turns out, i feel like it actually turns better now. i got a jig coming in the mail. rake is next....
        Agree. I like the handling with my 6over better than stock. Sporties are so light, the added weight in the front end feels great.

Comment

• sportychops
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jonny2by4
          I'm looking into doing this myself I also have a 16 iron and that stupid cartridge damper put a halt to everything, I already have my Frank's 8over tubes just need that left side done, were you able to order just the right side internals from HD? and if so what did that run you?
          Hey dude, I just ordered right side internals and slapped them in there. Worked like a charm. I think it was $200 bucks for everything -- internals, seals, bushings, etc.

Comment

• sportychops
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Theonlychrisj
            Agree. I like the handling with my 6over better than stock. Sporties are so light, the added weight in the front end feels great.
            Yeah, agreed -- my 8 overs aren't that bad...a little tippy but it's not bad at all.

Comment

• sportychops
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Theonlychrisj
              Looks killer, man. Love the tank and oil bag cover. Where'd you get those, if you don't mind?
              Greasy Coast.

Comment

• Thingfish
                • Feb 2015

Really appreciate the thread chrisj. Any chance you could post up your trail numbers? Wondering how far out you’ve gone that you’re still happy with the handling.

I’m doing +4 tubes with a 21” front wheel on my ‘73 ironhead for the first time and this was all new to me. I’m ending up with about 9 inches of trail which seems like it’s going to be too much for SoCal canyons....I love the length and height though...don’t want to gooseneck the frame for height or just rake the neck for length but lose all the vertical lift.

So I’m trying to figure out what’s rideable.

Maybe a smaller front wheel would bring it back in line a bit....

I used this to help figure out the measurements.

Thompson Choppers explains how rake and trail can impact your motorcycle's handling. Chopper frame geometry is very important correct high speed wobbles. Try our rake and trail calculator

Any input on your handling experience appreciated.

Comment

• wot2t
                  • Sep 2017

i just put +4s on a sporty custom a couple weeks ago. handled awesome. just swapped them for a wide glide off a dyna tonight. my front brake line was juuuust long enough...they looked cool, but i totally wanted to cut the neck, stock rake with long boys is cool, but i don't want too much "perma-wheelie." they look better on my buddies dyna. he has the 32 i think rake frame. the "raked-er" one. and it's longer, so it stays more level. +6s look good and handle ok too. your kickstand still works, but just barely. i feel like you lean more in a turn, but it makes leaning more fun...

Comment

• wot2t
                    • Sep 2017

i kept my stock springs and just made big spacers. rode fine.

getting those slider things to fit into the bottom jawns was hard, until i just taped them down, got them started, then removed tape. i don't bother with seal installers. it's fine as long as there aren't any crazy sharp burrs or shit on your tubes.

stock jiffy stand still works with 6 over, i seent it, but you gotta do the petcock, and whatever is in your carb is gonna dump out cuz it leeeeeans. +4 was no problem, but i totally felt like "oh shit im gonna drop it!...oh ok." the first few times i put it on the stand. burnt my leg on the pipe even...ha.

i always wanted long, raked out forks. i made a long forks bicycle when i was a kid.

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Thingfish
                      Really appreciate the thread chrisj. Any chance you could post up your trail numbers? Wondering how far out you’ve gone that you’re still happy with the handling.

I’m doing +4 tubes with a 21” front wheel on my ‘73 ironhead for the first time and this was all new to me. I’m ending up with about 9 inches of trail which seems like it’s going to be too much for SoCal canyons....I love the length and height though...don’t want to gooseneck the frame for height or just rake the neck for length but lose all the vertical lift.

So I’m trying to figure out what’s rideable.

Maybe a smaller front wheel would bring it back in line a bit....

I used this to help figure out the measurements.

Thompson Choppers explains how rake and trail can impact your motorcycle's handling. Chopper frame geometry is very important correct high speed wobbles. Try our rake and trail calculator

Any input on your handling experience appreciated.
                      Thanks, bru. I haven't measured trail, but I've put a lot of miles on it since installation, and still love it. I'm 6'1", so the extra height is pretty comfortable to me. I haven't experienced any twisting , and it handles great on the highway, so I doubt I'll do a fork brace in the future.

Comment

• Sportsterboone
                        • Jan 2017

I got the same kit from TC and curious about the 2 plastic washers that are in each bag, any idea what those are for or where they go?

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Sportsterboone
                          I got the same kit from TC and curious about the 2 plastic washers that are in each bag, any idea what those are for or where they go?
                          I used one on each side of the pvc spacer.

Comment

• Sportsterboone
                            • Jan 2017

That’s what I figured, thanks man

Comment

• dlabmarc
                              • Jul 2018

I have the same TC Bros 6+ kit. Do you need a fork spring compressor to get the spring and spacer back in with the fork cap? I cannot for the life of me get mine pushed down enough to thread into the fork.

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
                                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by dlabmarc
                                I have the same TC Bros 6+ kit. Do you need a fork spring compressor to get the spring and spacer back in with the fork cap? I cannot for the life of me get mine pushed down enough to thread into the fork.
                                That's when you try real hard not to scream. I did not use any tool besides these (holds up biceps like an idiot). It's NOT easy and you have to be real careful as to not cross-thread the tube/cap.

I folded a welding glove in half, put it on the floor, and stood the assembled tube up on the glove. Palmed the fork cap, and used my body weight to depress the spring and get the cap thread started. Once you have a couple of the threads started, it's easier to put the tube back in the triples, tighten the LOWER triple pinch bolt, and then use a ratchet to secure the cap the rest of the way.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;