Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pdriskill10
    • Jan 2014

Rear Axle help

I have a wishbone frame and was wondering if anyone has a product number for a rear axle for the frame. From the insides of the Axle plates it’s right at 9” and it’s a 3/4” axle. Just want to know if I’m getting the right one. I looked in the manual and only saw them for swing arms so I figured they would be a little longer.

Also if anyone is running a dual flange spoke wheel with a GMA disc brake on their same wishbone frames and could help me out some with the wheel spacers that would also be awesome. Thanks y’all.
  • 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

If you are using a stock HD rear disc wheel from 73' on up you can use Vtwin part #44-0221. A little good and a little bad here.
    The axle head is slotted to fit in your axle plate and the matching slotted spacer for the chain side seems to center the wheel correctly.
    The bad ; this axle is SHORT !!! Meaning outside of the spacer that the axle adjuster rests against , the other spacer and nut are useless.
    On the chain side I used a thinner grade 8 washer to rest up against the axle adjuster spacer , lock washer and got a castellated nut. Then had a cross hole drilled for a cotter pin . Everything JUST makes it. A lousy 3/8" longer on that axle would have worked wonders.
    Also , hardness of a vTwin axle is anyone's guess.
    The only other choices in the axle dept is to bring your stock swingarm axle to a machinist and have him make the changes to it. Making a slot on the head side and making in parallel with a flat on the head. Then shorten the axle by adding more threads first, then cutting it to desired length . Confidence in length and hardness here.
    Or getting the retarded looking outside slotted spacers that allow you to not modify the axle but have bolts that stick out each side of your frame like the Frankenstein monsters neck bolts.

On to the brake side. The spacers that come with the (HD) wheel may be different on both sides and are most likely interchangeable. Between the brake caliper mount and the frame you will have varied spacing depending on the wheel and brakes chosen .
    Basic attack is to center the wheel in the fender. Space chain side first then figure out brake side. You are aiming for centering the caliper in its fully relaxed state between the wheel rotor.
    Last edited by 47str8leg; 02-22-2018, 7:41 PM.

Comment

• tomsoftail
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by 47str8leg
      If you are using a stock HD rear disc wheel from 73' on up you can use Vtwin part #44-0221. A little good and a little bad here.
      The axle head is slotted to fit in your axle plate and the matching slotted spacer for the chain side seems to center the wheel correctly.
      The bad ; this axle is SHORT !!! Meaning outside of the spacer that the axle adjuster rests against , the other spacer and nut are useless.
      On the chain side I used a thinner grade 8 washer to rest up against the axle spacer , lock washer and got a castellated nut. Then had a cross hole drilled for a cotter pin . Everything JUST makes it. A lousy 3/8" longer on that axle would have worked wonders.
      Also , hardness of a vTwin axle is anyone's guess.
      The only other choices in the axle dept is to bring your stock swingarm axle to a machinist and have him make the changes to it. Making a slot on the head side and making in parallel with a flat on the head. Then shorten the axle by adding more threads first, then cutting it to desired length . Confidence in length and hardness here.
      Or getting the retarded looking outside slotted spacers that allow you to not modify the axle but have bolts that stick out each side of your frame like the Frankenstein monsters neck bolts.

On to the brake side. The spacers that come with the (HD) wheel may be different on both sides and are most likely interchangeable. Between the brake caliper mount and the frame you will have varied spacing depending on the wheel and brakes chosen .
      Basic attack is to center the wheel in the fender. Space chain side first then figure out brake side. You are aiming for centering the caliper in its fully relaxed state between the wheel rotor.
      Great post. Thank you!

Comment

• Pdriskill10
        • Jan 2014

Yeah man! Awesome info! Thanks I’ll def look into all that!

Comment

• 47str8leg
          • Sep 2014

Maybe a little more clarification to my original post is necessary here.
          When making the slot in the axle head it must be aligned so that the axle adjuster hits a flat spot squarely on the head.
          Make sure the axle is square in the frame before attempting anything or your spacer measurements will be off and your brake caliper won't be square with the rotor.
          My axle threads are 5/8ths. -18.
          Last edited by 47str8leg; 02-22-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;