Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimB1640
    • Nov 2009

1981 shovelhead cylinder question

Hello I was working on cleaning the aluminum cases of my shovelhead yesterday and i noticed a couple of oil lines that run from the tappet blocks to the bases of the cylinders. upon checking my manual I found out that they are low pressure and vapor lines on 1981-1/2 and later. How important are these lines? The reason I ask is any of the replacement cylinders I have seen don't seem to have any provisions for the fitting at the base like mine do. Also other tappet blocks that I have seen don't have a provision for a fitting there either. Just looking for the knowledge so that when i do go to rebuild the top end I know what I have to look for. Thanks
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

How about a pic of what your talking about...

Comment

• TimB1640
      • Nov 2009

I'll try but I can never seem to be able to get picture posting to work for me

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TimB1640
        I'll try but I can never seem to be able to get picture posting to work for me
        Are you using your phone to post pics? If so they are to big that's the problem...

Comment

• TimB1640
          • Nov 2009

No I'm just not that computer savy

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TimB1640
            No I'm just not that computer savy
            LOL Got ya... It's real easy, Just click on the think that looks like a paper clip in advanced, then go to where the picture is on your computer, click on it then it will come back to CC, click download it and your done...

Comment

• tzienlee
              • Apr 2024

had to try that one tattoo........just tried it and yes a thumbnail pic come up, but how do you get to post a whole picture not just a thumbnail ???....
              Attached Files

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

The 81 jugs and lifter blocks was a test the Mo-Co was doing...

From 1953 up to 1980 the top-end oil return was dumping into the flywheel cavity...
                Then came this engineer that said "I've got an Idea" .. His idea was to run the oil return down the jug and exit out into those hoses going to the tappet blocks.... This way the oil dumps directly into the cam chest by-passing the flywheels altogether...

Was Harley's attempt at oil control ... Didn't make much difference cause they went back to the 53-up design...

...... "Carnak has spoken" ......

.../// https://youtu.be/9m_dT0wsrGI \\\...
                Last edited by Dragstews; 02-20-2018, 10:11 AM.
                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• TimB1640
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Dragstews
                  The 81 jugs and lifter blocks was a test the Mo-Co was doing...

From 1953 up to 1980 the top-end oil return was dumping into the flywheel cavity...
                  Then came this engineer that said "I've got an Idea" .. His idea was to run the oil return down the jug and exit out into those hoses going to the tappet blocks.... This way the oil dumps directly into the cam chest by-passing the flywheels altogether...

Was Harley's attempt at oil control ... Didn't make much difference cause they went back to the 53-up design...

...... Karnak has spoken ......
                  Ok but what does that mean when at some point I go to do the top end?

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

You can revert back to the early jugs and tappet blocks if ya wanted to ...

Or plug the holes in both and drill the jugs to drain into the bore or down though the case...
                    I have welded up the holes in the blocks before and dress them in and chromed them.... But dang that was a lot of work ...

Or keep what ya have.... Kinda gives it the Hot-Rod look with hoses running everywhere. Makes people do a double-take and ask WTF ..??
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 02-20-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• TimB1640
                      • Nov 2009

Or plug the holes in both and drill the jugs to drain into the bore or down though the case...
                      I have welded up the holes in the blocks before and dress them in and chromed them.... But dang that was a lot of work ...

Or keep what ya have.... Kinda gives it the Hot-Rod look with hoses running everywhere. Makes people do a double-take and ask WTF ..??
                      I don't mind keeping what i have but I haven't seen any of the replacement cylinders that have that setup

Comment

• Jfuller
                        • Jul 2016

So there isn’t any internal work that goes along with swapping to shovel cylinders with no return lines, and new tappet blocks? The internal oiling system is the same? Or is there drilling and plugging oil galleys that goes along with it? My 81 has the external lines, and when I re do the top end I would like to eliminate them.

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

No mods to do when the earlier parts are going into play ....

It's a "Plug and Play Deal"

Comment

• TimB1640
                            • Nov 2009

No mods to do when the earlier parts are going into play ....

It's a "Plug and Play Deal"
                            so when I buy new jugs I'll be good? Or will I have to do some modifications? I just want to be sure

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Your new jugs will have the top-end oil return made to dump the oil out at the bottom of the bore which will be pick up by the spin of the flywheel dropping it into the breather catch tray at the back of the case... From there the oil goes to the breather valve to be expelled into the cam-chest for the oil pump to pick up and return to the oil bag....

No Mods to do on the new parts at all...
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 02-20-2018, 2:24 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;