CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Driven to XS

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

If I was going to build an XS 650 tomorrow using your parts. This is how I'd likely do it. I'd keep the chrome swingarm as the local roads are not friendly to hardtails. I'd use a bare bones Monstercraftsman Brat seat kit and probably their foot peg mounts. A 39mm Sportster/FXR fork with a 1" stem and a bearing conversion kit from TC or LowBrow with a 21" spool wheel. The rear wheel would be a stock 650 hub laced to a 16' rim. Clean up the frame, add a peanut tank, bars, seat, rear fender and pipes. Done!

After looking into the paperwork side of things, I think I'll need to mock it up into a stand-looking bike in order to be able to get a registration document. When I say 'standard-looking', it'll not have to look like the original XS, but like a 'normal' bike - ie rear suspension, mudguards etc. I can then get around to cutting it around properly after that.
    The advantage of getting a registration that ties in with the age of the original frame and engine is that it'll not have to have fripperies such as indicators, and once it is 40 years old, there's no requirement for the yearly roadworthiness test (MoT) or road tax...

The paperwork side of things looks like it could be a bit easier than I thought. Regulations here in the UK dictate that bikes of over 40 years of age have a somewhat easier time, in that they don't have to have the yearly MoT examination, and don't have to pay road tax either. In addition, it also means I can apply for an age-dependant number plate without it having to be presented as a complete bike!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by zedhead View Post
    I've wanted to have an XS650 for years. Initially I wanted to build a cool flat tracker, with modern brakes and suspension, but when I started seeing more and more of them, I realised that maybe I could build a cool type of custom twin, like all the Brit-engined stuff I saw, but with an XS engine. But then I saw how much an XS650 would cost...
    ... fast forward a few years and a friend offered me an engine and frame at a very good price. I didn't really have the spare cash at the time, but knew that if I didn't buy it, I'd never get the chance again... So I dug into the savings and spent it all.

https://image.ibb.co/f9NJP5/IMG_20170828_111236.jpg
    A solid investment!!! Good deal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170828_111236.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	93131
    Last edited by Luky; 04-20-2019 at 8:45 AM.

Share This