Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryanrowlett
    • Oct 2014

Sportster chopper build

The bike to be chopped is a 2001 Evo Sportster, that I previously did some modifications to.

The first couple days were spent taking everything apart and cleaning/ organizing the takeoffs.

I went with a Haifley hardtail kit. Given the supplied instructions, I measured out and marked the cuts on the frame. After double checking, I made the cuts with an angle grinder.

After making the cuts, I put the engine back in to ensure everything lined up correctly, then filed down any low spots on the cuts, and ground a bevel and landing to weld into. Drilled a couple plug holes in each of the pipes to be welded and sanded everything back to weld. I used a ratchet strap to fine tune the gap in the backbone which stayed on until the frame was tacked.

Attached Files
    Last edited by ryanrowlett; 03-07-2018, 8:22 PM.
  • ryanrowlett
    • Oct 2014

I drilled out the tabs in a narrow Sportster tank I picked up from Throttle Addiction. Put the trees, one fork, handlebars and controls back on in order to check handlebar/ tank clearance. Then I marked and drilled the front frisco mount hole in the backbone. I'm using a tophat bung, button cap screws, stainless washer and two leather washers to reduce vibration.

Then off to weld.

Then a bunch of flappin and sanding to get things leveled out and smooth.

Attached Files
    Last edited by ryanrowlett; 03-07-2018, 8:26 PM.

Comment

• ryanrowlett
      • Oct 2014

Once I had everything welded together I measured and drilled the rear frisco mount.

Here's the final tank position.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ryanrowlett; 03-07-2018, 8:30 PM.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
        • Sep 2011

Becareful with the clearance of the back of your top tree and your tank, it seems rather far up the backbone and I'd hate for you to have some conflict or not be able to get a tool in their to remove the tank bolt once its all back together. Love how easy those hard tails go together though!

Comment

• ryanrowlett
          • Oct 2014

Yeah, I probably could have given it another inch to be safe but everything clears and I can tighten everything without any conflicts. This is why I put the front end back on before drilling. I did intentionally make it as tight as possible without anything hitting. Thanks for the comment though.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
            • Sep 2011

Hell yea, carry on! These hard tails make me want to get rid of the one I already have.

Comment

• ryanrowlett
              • Oct 2014

Thanks man! I appreciate the support.
              Last edited by ryanrowlett; 03-07-2018, 8:27 PM.

Comment

• ryanrowlett
                • Oct 2014

Welded up the rear frisco mount and exhaust tab then ground the front frisco mount flush so the tank isnt floating above the backbone. Heinous welds. Got the pipe situated.

Attached Files
                Last edited by ryanrowlett; 03-07-2018, 8:29 PM.

Comment

• ryanrowlett
                  • Oct 2014

Cutting off unused bosses on the top tree, fork lowers and coil/tank mounts. WIP

Attached Files
                  Last edited by ryanrowlett; 03-07-2018, 8:31 PM.

Comment

• Jay235
                    • Aug 2017

Looking good make sure to take pics of where the electrical under the seat ends up I've thought of the same build on my 97

Comment

• ryanrowlett
                      • Oct 2014

Thanks! Will do!

Comment

• ryanrowlett
                        • Oct 2014

Mounted and lopped off the rear fender. Mocked up the seat. Got the gusset plug cleaned up.

Attached Files

Comment

• ryanrowlett
                          • Oct 2014

Carlos, Diego and the dogs at Arcane Moto did a killer job powder coating. I recommend if youre in the NYC area. Super nice dudes. Cute dogs. Good at powder coating.

Attached Files

Comment

• Cotton1
                            • Aug 2017

Looks good, I like the idea of getting it all powdered if you have somebody reliable around. I had a bad experience with it myself the one and only time I gave it a shot. Is the clear coat in the powder, like a second powder, or do you have to spray it down afterwards with clear?

Cotton1

Comment

• ryanrowlett
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Cotton1
                              Looks good, I like the idea of getting it all powdered if you have somebody reliable around. I had a bad experience with it myself the one and only time I gave it a shot. Is the clear coat in the powder, like a second powder, or do you have to spray it down afterwards with clear?

Cotton1
                              Hi Cotton1

I didnt use a clear. The powder is gas and UV resistant on its own, so the only reason to clear would be to enhance the glossiness, which isn't the look I was going for. You can have them sprayed with clear powder which they do by baking the top coats partially and then spraying clear before a final curing in the oven together. Ive also seen people paint and spray urethane clear over powder coat.

I'm super happy with how it came out and it was a lot less expensive than paint.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;