Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scooper321
    • Oct 2017

Replacing Front Brales on 1980 FXS

Rebuilding a 1980 Low Rider, 80" (with the SHOWA front forks). I'm looking for options for different front brake calipers abd discs. Besides NOS or VTwin Mfg, and without spending a million dollars (sorry PM) what are my options? Am I limited to the 10" disc? I'm open to options that require different caliper brackets, so long as I can buy them. I'm not a metal worker so fabbing my own isn't an option. And I'd prefer to not have to change my hub. Recommendations?
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Your best option for the money is keep what you have... Other than that it's going to cost you a lot of time and money...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Here is a discussion thread for FXR brake upgrades - 1985 (similar?), which may have a few options or things to consider: "Check the history of this site regarding the FXR brake upgrades. This subject has been previously discussed, and there are some helpful threads",
      Last edited by TriNortchopz; 02-07-2018, 7:44 AM.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
        Here is a discussion thread for FXR brake upgrades - 1985 (similar?), which may have a few options or things to consider: "Check the history of this site regarding the FXR brake upgrades. This subject has been previously discussed, and there are some helpful threads",
        http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...-upgrades.html

That's a great read but a very costly swap... It is different but it is an option...

Comment

• humancertainty
          • Mar 2014

The cheapest option would likely be a front end swap. 39mm front ends come up for reasonable prices and there’s a lot of options for adaptors to rub Japanese calipers or the 2000+ Harley calipers.
          If you have your heart set on a 35mm front end, the 84-87 ones used the same calipers as the 88-99 39mm front ends and have the same adaptors available. Fab Kevin makes some, there’s some fandoms on eBay and there’s the Still Kickin’ Moto one’s.
          If you find a 2000+ front end, those calipers are already pretty good.

Comment

• scooper321
            • Oct 2017

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...-upgrades.html
            Thanks. But this is an FXS. Not an FXR. Do they have the same forks and over use the same stock calipers?

Comment

• scooper321
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by humancertainty
              The cheapest option would likely be a front end swap. 39mm front ends come up for reasonable prices and there’s a lot of options for adaptors to rub Japanese calipers or the 2000+ Harley calipers.
              If you have your heart set on a 35mm front end, the 84-87 ones used the same calipers as the 88-99 39mm front ends and have the same adaptors available. Fab Kevin makes some, there’s some fandoms on eBay and there’s the Still Kickin’ Moto one’s.
              If you find a 2000+ front end, those calipers are already pretty good.
              Are you saying that 84-87 and 88-99 calipers fit on a 35mm 80?

Comment

• humancertainty
                • Mar 2014

No. As far as I’ve ever found, the 77-83 calipers are it. Or very expensive replacements. I’m saying that the 84-87 calipers are the same as the 88-99 calipers. The difference is 84-87 is 35 mm like your current front end and the 88-99 is 39 mm. I know some people prefer the 35 mm forks for aesthetics or whatever, so I mentioned the option. The 39 mm forks are better but look newer because they are.

Comment

• scooper321
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by humancertainty
                  No. As far as I’ve ever found, the 77-83 calipers are it. Or very expensive replacements. I’m saying that the 84-87 calipers are the same as the 88-99 calipers. The difference is 84-87 is 35 mm like your current front end and the 88-99 is 39 mm. I know some people prefer the 35 mm forks for aesthetics or whatever, so I mentioned the option. The 39 mm forks are better but look newer because they are.
                  Gotcha. So if I went thiis route, it would require swapping my forks. That’s something I’m trying to not take on right now. I’ve got a lot more to do on this rebuild and the forks work well and don’t leak. So I’m just cleaning them up, popping in Progessive springs, changing the oil and moving on to other parts of the bike that really do NEED rebuilding. I may swap forks down the road, but I’d like to avoid it for right now.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by scooper321
                    Gotcha. So if I went thiis route, it would require swapping my forks. That’s something I’m trying to not take on right now. I’ve got a lot more to do on this rebuild and the forks work well and don’t leak. So I’m just cleaning them up, popping in Progessive springs, changing the oil and moving on to other parts of the bike that really do NEED rebuilding. I may swap forks down the road, but I’d like to avoid it for right now.
                    Yes sir like I said above...

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    Your best option for the money is keep what you have... Other than that it's going to cost you a lot of time and money...

Comment

• scooper321
                      • Oct 2017

Still worth the exercise to ask the question, do the research and learn! Here’s hoping I can successfully remove one of them without destroying it (both bolts are stuck and stripped). And that I can successfully rebuild them. They were not behaving well when I started the project...

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Still worth the exercise to ask the question, do the research and learn! Here’s hoping I can successfully remove one of them without destroying it (both bolts are stuck and stripped). And that I can successfully rebuild them. They were not behaving well when I started the project...
                        I never said it wasn't and yes you have to ask questions to learn.....

Here is my Original paint 16,000 mile 79 FXS that I totally restored in 2012, Took it totally apart split the cases and all..
                        Attached Files

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

Thanks. But this is an FXS. Not an FXR. Do they have the same forks and over use the same stock calipers?
                          The Harley Company and their new alfabit 'o bikes...FXRSTC..W..G...I get confused, its hard to keep up with them.
                          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

its hard to keep up with them.
                            Well kinda.... LOL

Now all the new shit.... I agree........

Comment

• humancertainty
                              • Mar 2014

Then sounds like you should keep the calipers that you have. Plenty of people ride bikes with those old calipers. They’re not as good as the newer ones but they’re not gonna be a problem unless you treat them like they’re as good.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;