Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldkid
    • Aug 2012

To Hardtail or Not?

On the fence with this one. Should this be hardtailed, or should I find a different project? Got a good deal on it or what i think was a deal. Really would like a bigger bike to hardtail , but this is what I have at the moment. -Thx
    Attached Files
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

I wouldn't........ It's not a good choice but let's see what others say about it...

Comment

• oldkid
      • Aug 2012

O kinda hate to cause it's a low mileage no issue bike. Put tires brakes cables, battery on it in the last week, winter boardom have had it a few weeks. Maybe it's not the best donor it's a rubber mount i don't want a different frame i don't want a special construction title either

Comment

• Hoghead
        • Jun 2015

Flyrite did a frame for the later Sportsters called the 'smoking gun'. At least you'll have plenty of parts to put on ebay...I wouldn't bother.
        I have two hardtails but never ride them any distance.

Comment

• Oldassflh
          • Dec 2017

call me a pussy but after being a tech for 10 years my back is shot and cant handle riding rigids anymore. i've built a few of em and they look great but after 50 miles my back is done for a few days

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Oldassflh
            call me a pussy but after being a tech for 10 years my back is shot and cant handle riding rigids anymore. i've built a few of em and they look great but after 50 miles my back is done for a few days
            What kind of tech? How old are you??

Comment

• Oldassflh
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Tattooo
              What kind of tech? How old are you??
              auto/heavy diesel tech,and i'll be 28 in a few months,really abused my back when i was younger doing dumb shit and lifting weights entirely to much.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

auto/heavy diesel tech,and i'll be 28 in a few months,really abused my back when i was younger doing dumb shit and lifting weights entirely to much.
                Got yea and DAMN your young that's really a shame..... I started doing mechanical work when I was 17 and I'm 60+ now and my back is still fine, I NEVER picked up and carry anything more than 20lbs very far.. Sometimes you don't have a choice but I didn't make a habit of it... I've always said that's why they invented the wheel...LOL I still ride my rigids and have for 40+ years with no problems...

Start taking care of your back NOW while your still young enough as you will really need it when you get in your 60s.....

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

It's clean enough to sell for money to get a big twin, so I'd sell it and get a big twin or sell it and get a solid mount older Sporty for less money then roll the profit into the project. A motorcycle is worth X dollars. You can turn one that's not quite what you want into the basis of one you want without turning a wrench, then do the project you prefer.

How many other bikes do you have? It's wise to keep one that's utterly reliable and reasonably comfortable to ride while working on something else. Spring will be here soon.

Start taking care of your back NOW while your still young enough as you will really need it when you get in your 60s.....
                  Truth! Backs turn to shit without any help. Of course there's always the SOA "trike with oxygen tank" option.
                  Last edited by farmall; 02-06-2018, 6:50 PM.

Comment

• Oldassflh
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    Got yea and DAMN your young that's really a shame..... I started doing mechanical work when I was 17 and I'm 60+ now and my back is still fine, I NEVER picked up and carry anything more than 20lbs very far.. Sometimes you don't have a choice but I didn't make a habit of it... I've always said that's why they invented the wheel...LOL I still ride my rigids and have for 40+ years with no problems...

that's the plan but then i end up thinking im 16 again and can heave auto trannys around and throw manuals up in place by hand but i pay for it for a while to come everytime. and farmall when i can't ride two wheels anymore i'm hanging it up,just not a trike guy in the slightest,

i use to be able to carry one ton axles by myself and throw a set of 40s on my old jeep just fine but anymore i can't

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

i use to be able to carry one ton axles by myself and throw a set of 40s on my old jeep just fine but anymore i can't
                      I totally understand... When I was your age I could pick up a bare BB Chevy motor and put it in the back of my truck to take it to the machine shop.... But to carry it or something heavy like that very far I knew better... It wasn't that I couldn't believe me... I seen way to many old guys when I was your age with fucked up backs... That got me thinking...

The older you get you will think of that more and more...

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                        • Jul 2010

That's not a rubber mount Sportster, it's a 2003. Last year of the solid mount bikes.

I do agree with the others though, the bike looks too nice to chop up. Maybe sit on it for a couple months when the seller's market on bikes will improve as the weather warms up and make a little on flipping it and then hunt for a better chop worthy donor. And you know me, I love Evo Sportys, I just scored one this week for $1500 running with the title. Just maybe not the one to start your rigid project with.

Comment

• Blackbetty
                          • Apr 2011

What am I missing? It's an evo sporty....

If you have the tools and time and know how cut it up.

2003 was the best year to chop an evo sportster

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Blackbetty
                            What am I missing? It's an evo sporty....

If you have the tools and time and know how cut it up.

2003 was the best year to chop an evo sportster
                            Just curious, why 2003 in particular?

Comment

• nofendertom
                              • Apr 2014

As mentioned---not a hardtail---I know a few 60+ guys riding hardtails for years---setting it up has a
                              lot to do with your ride quality---a four inch stretch, a well sprung maybe air ride seat, a good working
                              front end and footpeg location so you can get your ass off the seat and you get a pretty smooth ride.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;