Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Munchie
    • Jul 2017

front midstar no brake

I have a early shovelhead front end and I would like to run it with no brake is there a way to do and if so got pics.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Munchie
    I have a early shovelhead front end and I would like to run it with no brake is there a way to do and if so got pics.
    Take the brake off put the axle back in bolt it down and your done...

I stand corrected...
    Last edited by Tattooo; 02-01-2018, 8:48 PM.

Comment

• Munchie
      • Jul 2017

No it's not that easy on the early shovelheads with drums (midstar) The Hub only had one bearing in it and the drum had the other bearing in it and the drum set the wheel offset if the drum was off the wheel would only run on one bearing and could move off to the fork and not stay centered

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Yes sir I believe you are right... I forgot about that.. I'm not sure it can be done...

Have you checked to see if someone makes a bearing/support that bolts to the hub?? Or you could find a star hub and save your mid star wheel for later...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

No it's not that easy on the early shovelheads with drums (midstar) The Hub only had one bearing in it and the drum had the other bearing in it and the drum set the wheel offset if the drum was off the wheel would only run on one bearing and could move off to the fork and not stay centered
          Guess you will need to machine an aluminum spacer/hub that bolts to the hub and is bored to fit the bearing.

Here is info from Donny’S Unauthorized Technical Guide to Harley-Davidson, 1936 to Present, Volume 1 for the wheel bearings for the 1967 - 1972 Rear/Front Drum Brake and Wheel Hub Components (page 56):

Donny Petersen, who studied privately with Harley-Davidson engineers, shares practical knowledge and street-wise tips in the fifth volume of his unauthorized guide on the best motorcycle maker in the world. Written in straightforward language, this guide can help even a motorcycle novice to become an expert mechanic by following Donnys step-by-step instructions. Whether youre looking for detailed service procedures such as fitting engine bearings or simple tips on maintenance, Donny is eager to share the expertise hes stockpiled on the Shovelhead over the last forty years. Donny shares real stories so you can find solutions to whatever is ailing your Shovelhead. Resolve teething problems, troubleshoot problematic aspects of the engine, and fix whatever comes up with various models. Gear ratios, torque multiplication, and H-D and aftermarket tools of the day are prominent in the guide, which even includes information on tools Donny invented himself to make your life easier. Get the specifications for tightening all the Shovelhead fasteners and adjustments to mechanisms on various models. In his usual forthright manner, Donny makes technical issues understandable, interspersing explanations with entertaining stories about the hard core lifestyle that comes with being a Harley rider.
          Last edited by TriNortchopz; 02-01-2018, 8:59 PM. Reason: include word spacer
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
            Guess you will need to machine an aluminum spacer/hub that bolts to the hub and is bored to fit the bearing.
            Yes sir you are right.. I've never seen one in all my years of being around Harley's but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Can't be much different from the aluminum hubs I have to machine to fit an old rear Hallcraft Invader to my '69 T120; they bolt to the flanges, house bearings and mount the HD disc and sprocket.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	T120 build, Nov. 22, 2017.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1300399
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                Can't be much different from the aluminum hubs I have to machine to fit an old rear Hallcraft Invader to my '69 T120; they bolt to the flanges, house bearings and mount the HD disc and sprocket.
                Yep I'm sure it would be the same thing.. I'm not sure if he has a lathe or not?

Comment

• Munchie
                  • Jul 2017

yeah that's what I was thinking that you would have to make something I have found anything out there to buy and bolt right up I just can't get a pic of what it should look like in my head. I was thinking that I'm just going to have to swap hubs if I can't think of something that looks good thanks for all the info and help
                  Last edited by Munchie; 02-06-2018, 7:54 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

yeah that's what I was thinking that you would have to make something I have found anything out there to buy and bolt right up I just can't get a pic of what it should look like in my head. I was thinking that I'm just going to have to swap hubs if I can't think of something that looks good thanks for all the info and help
                    Why not just buy a complete wheel and keep what you have in case you want to go back. Plus it's gonna cost you about the same thing to change out your hub...

Good luck...

Comment

• Munchie
                      • Jul 2017

yeah I think i'm going to swap wheels I just was wanting it to be correct to the bike but you cant always get what you want ha ha thanks again

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;