CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Shovelhead Trans/Open Primary question

Hey guys... quick question... I have a cone shovel I am building and am going to run a BDL 1.5 open primary on it, kick only... which I already have... I also already have a 1965 Harley ratchet top trans... problem is the rear ears are shaved off so I can not mount the main shaft bearing support to it to run the open primary.

Is there any solution to this? Can I mount on just the front? I also found this
    https://shop.bareknucklechoppers.com...e-overbearing/

Has anyone used this and do you think it would work in my situation? I can swap the main shaft in this trans to the correct length so everything lines up... Problem is the bearing support. Thoughts?

-Thanks!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

With a 1.5 belt a support isn't that critical... I wouldn't bother if it was me... It's lighter than a chain would be...

Get Adobe Flash player

That overbearing is the only option I know of, no experience with them though, cant see it hurting. Like tattooo said though, prob ok to run without, just be careful not to run the belt too tight

Get Adobe Flash player

I've got a 1.5 belt on my Knuckle with a tin primary and have been running it like that for years without a support...

Thanks guys... If I ran with out it, wouldn't there be an alignment issue to the motor? that bearing support sticks out doesn't it... Would spacers be required? Or maybe that overbearing will give me the space I need to align properly. Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

The 65 case has no track lugs on the bottom of the case, that makes it a bit weak with it staying put in the frame...

There is somewhat of a cure for this...

The case studs are made for rigidity when belt drive is used...
    Also a adjustable trans plate would come in super handy being the 65 case did away with the adjuster..

@dragstews sweet thanks for that. Cheers

Share This