Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GnarlyDavidson
    • Apr 2016

Evo sporty snapped sprocket cover bolt

Well my chain popped off and danced around inside my sprocket cover on my 98 sporty.... question is Has anybody ever had to remove this big stud/exhaust bracket stud ? let alone one that's been snapped off by a chain !?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9584.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	1342474
  • humancertainty
    • Mar 2014

File it flat, center punch it and then drill it with the appropriate sized drill and get it out with an extractor.
    Not flat to the cases if you don’t have to. Just file it so the protruding part is flat so you can accurately center punch it.

Comment

• 82ironwig
      • Jun 2014

+1

If you mess that up simply drill it out to the nest appropriatesize and run a tap in it if possible..... as I feel this would be last resort!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by humancertainty
        File it flat, center punch it and then drill it with the appropriate sized drill and get it out with an extractor.
        Not flat to the cases if you don’t have to. Just file it so the protruding part is flat so you can accurately center punch it.
        A left-hand drill bit can also be helpful to drill it out - the broken bolt/stud might just come out from the drilling action: https://www.amazon.com/slp/left-hand...3k8qjv9mbea8ys
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Buellbomb
          • Dec 2011

If you have aDremel, you could cut a slot in it and back it out with a flat tip screwdriver. If that’s the stock screw, it should back out fairly easily.

Comment

• humancertainty
            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
            A left-hand drill bit can also be helpful to drill it out - the broken bolt/stud might just come out from the drilling action: https://www.amazon.com/slp/left-hand...3k8qjv9mbea8ys
            Good call as well although I’ve had my best luck with extractors. A decent extractor set is worthwhile to add to your tool chest.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by humancertainty
              Good call as well although I’ve had my best luck with extractors. A decent extractor set is worthwhile to add to your tool chest.
              Yup, I fully agree - never intended for GD to not use an extractor as suggested, just to include the use of LH drill bits in the machining process; here is a good set with both for about $30:

Irwin HANSON Spiral Extractor and Drill Bit Set, 10 Piece, 11119

I have had good luck with Irwin Tools, an American company: http://www.irwin.com/about-us/irwin-history
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Don't be in a hurry with an extractor take your time... I don't like them, If you break one off in the hole come back and ask for the fix...

Good luck

Comment

• GnarlyDavidson
                  • Apr 2016

thanks for all the help!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

Like Tatooo said, you don't want to break the extractor - good luck.
                    Did you solve the problem with the chain poppin' off and dancin' around?

Comment

• tzienlee
                      • Apr 2024

when I was at College in the 70's the Old boy Instructor said to avoid the round left spiral extractors,...
                      he said they more often than not sheared off as they are a bad design.
                      He recommended the Square tapered type with a cutting edge to bite into the hole you drill in the bolt.
                      I bought a set 40 years ago, still have them & they have NEVER let me down.
                      just don't but cheap Chinese types,.... pay money for a good make, either German, Swedish or American
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Hawkstone
                        • Mar 2012

If acces allows, mig weld a nut on the remaining bit of stud. Allow to cool some, then rock it back n forth, till it freely unscrews. Done this many times on fork legs & upper yokes etc. Works everytime providing your weld holds.

Comment

• humancertainty
                          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by tzienlee
                          when I was at College in the 70's the Old boy Instructor said to avoid the round left spiral extractors,...
                          he said they more often than not sheared off as they are a bad design.
                          He recommended the Square tapered type with a cutting edge to bite into the hole you drill in the bold.
                          I bought a set 40 years ago, still have them & they have NEVER let me down.
                          just don't but cheap Chinese types,.... pay money for a good make, either German, Swedish or American
                          I didn’t know about those. Those are pretty cool. Got a link to a set you’d recommend?

I’ve never had a problem with Irwin extractors but I’ve definitely broken some of the cheaper ones. Not fun.

Comment

• tzienlee
                            • Apr 2024

Made in USA,... very good quality......

Comment

• GnarlyDavidson
                              • Apr 2016

i believe my tension came loose or my rear sprocket was worn, not 100%.... it happened mid donut in the dirt so could be anything lol

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;