CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Really need HELP SOS with Honda Shadow VL750 Engine

Hello, We have build a Honda Shadow VL750 bobber. Its a hardtail looks great. but now I have a problem. Engine comes with a radiator and temp gauge but not a fan. The copany that build the bike has gone bust. but they complete my bike. Now problem is the bike is OK starts well, and stops well. But there is no fan. I understand the purpuse of fan. But the people who build the bike are saying I dont need the fan. but in any way they have closed the shop and its too late to go back to them. Now my new Tec is saying I must have a fan before I take it to long drive. and that means from london to Geneva. But to place a fan I need to change the position of radiator and costing me lots of money.

So my question to pro fellas is Can an engine Honda Shadow VL750 with a radiator can live without a fan or I must install a fan, please.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TestPilot View Post

So my question to pro fellas is Can an engine Honda Shadow VL750 with a radiator can live without a fan or I must install a fan, please.
    Yes sir you don't need a fan just as long as you never stop for any length of time it will be just fine... You need a fan...

Get Adobe Flash player

By the 2nd stop light it'l be boiling. At least the VT we had did when a sensor wire broke.
    Dusty

hi thank you for your reply but what does it meanyou dont need fan as long as you never stop then you need a fan?

Get Adobe Flash player

Fans do nothing at speed but plenty in traffic. I prefer cool engines so I'd fit the fan. Better safe than expensively sorry. I'd also find a place for a temperature gauge because if a cooling system gets a pinhole and slowly loses coolant you can accidentally run it dry and not notice. I recently had to use UV dye and a black light (inexpensive) to find an otherwise invisible misting leak on my truck, but that beats an engine replacement.

I suggest researching before making such choices in the future. You came to the right place. Some so-called technicians adopt a method without careful testing, and what is not measured is not precisely known. You might have room for a different fan with less modification to whatever the last fellow did.

Pictures would help.

Get Adobe Flash player

you do not want to ride any bike that was design to have a fan without it. i have a vt 750 and let me tell you, it gets hot when you stop in traffic

Get Adobe Flash player

It would be best to have a fan. If the bike runs and rides at fine right now, and fitting a fan back in is too expensive, then you can monitor it easily. Get a digital laser thermometer. They’re cheap at hardware stores. Ride around for a couple hours and check the radiator temperature. Then try riding through city traffic and check the temperature.

My buddy has a Suzuki Intruder 800, it originally had a fan behind the radiator. We removed the fan, and ran the exhaust through where the fan was, making the radiator even hotter and it has never been an issue. 2 or 3 years and 15,000+ miles and it’s still just fine.

Get Adobe Flash player

Post a pic of the bike. Make sure we all can see how the radiator is set up. Some aftermarket electric fans can be wired to either push air to the radiator or pull it away. Hope that makes sense.

Here are a few options from Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/motorcycle-co...cooling%20fans
    The manufacture used a fan for a reason
    It dosnt matter what direction the motor runs as long as it pushes or pulls fresh cool air through the radiator.

Get Adobe Flash player

Keep the fan, my Shadow's throttle was stuck open last summer even tho I parked it in shade to let it rest, had to drive home controlling the clutch.

Get Adobe Flash player

yup run a fan.it might be fine if you keep moving( my 700 Vulcan's fan doesn't kick on unless I'm in stop and go traffic) but stop and go traffic or sitting at a stop sign or red light,and she'll start a boiling

Share This