CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 18 First 1234513 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bpeak View Post
    Just north of Tampa, yep. You too right? I live in West Pasco. Work in "New" Tampa up by USF.
    Yup. Live in north Tampa work in south Tampa. Thought those shop photos looked like Thunder Bay..

Quote Originally Posted by austieee View Post
    Yup. Live in north Tampa work in south Tampa. Thought those shop photos looked like Thunder Bay. I want to see this thing out in the wild. hmu when its done and we can cruise around.
    You got it man. I'm hoping to have it all done by the Cotee River Bike Fest up in New Port Richey in October. I'll be doing all my own paint, wiring, and final assembly and everything so I think it's gonna take me every bit of those months to get this thing alive.

Back in 2004... I designed a bike in CAD with engraved tank panels that had the lyrics to the Allman Brothers "Midnight Rider". I'm finally getting ready to make good on that design. Much more to come. And yes... at the bottom... that's a silver dollar. In fact the coin is from 1971. The same year this Sportster rolled off the assembly line. I'm pretty pumped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180221_222915-2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	286.0 KB 
ID:	82536

There will be three aluminum plates, each mounted to 0.4" stand-offs on the tank surface. The one on the left is the raw cut piece that wraps around the gas cap. Middle is the filed/sanded bottom plate ready for engraving. The right obviously is the paper template.

Name:	20180315_215141.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	82537

I just did the first outline pass engraving this morning but forgot to snap a pick. Sorry.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great detail on the engraving! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm enjoying this thread/build. Your engraving skills are awesome! Do you ever do that for other folks?? Is it a hard skill to learn?

For the last couple years I have been riding down to Ocala area in October for one reason or another, no plans yet this year though. Chopper show might be fun if the stars align. October is a long ways off, or it seems like it is now!

Anyways, diggin your scoot and am jealous of your skills. I hope you get the PO shat straightened out without too much headache.

Cotton1

Get Adobe Flash player

Going to be a sweet ride! Really loving the engraving! Can’t wait to see how everything turns out

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I'm enjoying this thread/build. Your engraving skills are awesome! Do you ever do that for other folks?? Is it a hard skill to learn?

For the last couple years I have been riding down to Ocala area in October for one reason or another, no plans yet this year though. Chopper show might be fun if the stars align. October is a long ways off, or it seems like it is now!

Anyways, diggin your scoot and am jealous of your skills. I hope you get the PO shat straightened out without too much headache.

Cotton1
    Thanks man. Appreciate it. Yea, on the engraving I've done it for other folks. I don't have a very deep skill set really. This outline and dimple process is one that I usually go to just because it is simple and produces a fun sparkle-ish effect. I've done other patterns line a hotrod pinstripe effect, or straight lettering (instead of negative space cuts). But I don't really have good luck with the classic scroll/leaf pattern that is common with hand graving. I wouldn't say that it's a hard skill to learn. Just takes time to get used to how the different bits grab different metals to get different effects.

If you're ever interested, shoot me a private message. We can chat.

Get Adobe Flash player

Awesome! I might bother you sometime then. I'm interested if I can get the coin together..

Thank You!!

Cotton1

Update video if you want to see it 'live'-ish.

https://youtu.be/b_K_MBowbuQ

Get Adobe Flash player

Love threads that has video in them...
    Your build is coming right along .. Going to be a nice one for sure ...

A word about your front wheel:
    Back in the day when Folks did a spool hub with no brake in the ballgame, as in what you have, they would do a straight lace on the spokes .... Kinda a wild look that ya don't see to often these days....

Just a thought. Be a little backing up on what you have now, a new rim with the dimples relocated for the lace and cut down and retread the spokes .... Still a super cool look .. !!

Quote Originally Posted by bpeak View Post
    Got some more work done over the past few weeks on non-motor stuff.

So the gas tank is the type where it has the larger HD bung in the middle and two opposing Brit style bungs in the back. I didn't want to have to plug or mess with the two holes I'm not using so I decided to do this. Running a non-reserve petcock on the left rear side small bung. Then with the two bungs on the right side, got fittings to install a sight-gauge of sorts. It's really low on the tank so... if I see the level drop in this tube... I better get to a station quick. Oh well. Kinda looks cool and might (maybe sorta) be functional? Also got the new air cleaner mounted.

Attachment 82466

Spent a lot of engraving time too on the rear brake drum backing plate. Kinda came out cool I guess. I'm diggin it.

Attachment 82467

Attachment 82468

Attachment 82469

Attachment 82470
    In love with this. You're making me want to engrave 'n polish mine instead of paint. You mind spreading some knowledge on the tools you're using to do these engravings?

Bike seems to be coming along killer. Lot's of useful info in this thread, too. Keep killin' it.

EDIT: Just watched your wheel spacer YouTube vidya. Gonna order myself some new bits for my dremel and play around on some scrap.
    Last edited by tunacantom; 04-11-2018 at 6:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tunacantom View Post
    In love with this. You're making me want to engrave 'n polish mine instead of paint. You mind spreading some knowledge on the tools you're using to do these engravings?

Bike seems to be coming along killer. Lot's of useful info in this thread, too. Keep killin' it.

EDIT: Just watched your wheel spacer YouTube vidya. Gonna order myself some new bits for my dremel and play around on some scrap.
    Thanks man. Really appreciate it. On the engraving - do it. You'll learn the tricks by feel and you'll have a blast. Every metal is different. Even a single piece of metal might feel different (for example, extruded aluminum has a 'grain' of sorts and the rotary tool acts a bit different depending on the direction). Then How you handle the tool, how much pressure, whether you cut towards you or away from you... all of it is slightly different in order to get consistent results. Fun stuff. Actually just finished up the one plate last night and started the next one...

Name:	20180410_171134.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	83193

Name:	20180410_163943.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	83194

Get Adobe Flash player

Ya' know, never been a real big fan of engraving. Never been a real big fan of the style of text that you're using on the plates that you're putting on your tank, and also have never been a real big fan of things like tank bibs that go down the middle of a tank.

But, something just looks so right about what you're doing here, that it made me check out your YouTube video for more - and you're kind of winning me over on all counts: workmanship, vision, results.

Really wanted to give ya' a fat "thumbs up" for doing some really good looking work, putting some unique touches on your scoot.

This is exactly the kind of shit I lurk on forums for.

Quote Originally Posted by thecarfarmer View Post
    Ya' know, never been a real big fan of engraving. Never been a real big fan of the style of text that you're using on the plates that you're putting on your tank, and also have never been a real big fan of things like tank bibs that go down the middle of a tank.

But, something just looks so right about what you're doing here, that it made me check out your YouTube video for more - and you're kind of winning me over on all counts: workmanship, vision, results.

Really wanted to give ya' a fat "thumbs up" for doing some really good looking work, putting some unique touches on your scoot.

This is exactly the kind of shit I lurk on forums for.

Wow. Thank you. Now I definitely have to finish this thing... LOL. I've had this design in my head for a long time... and in CAD 3D for few years. So I have a lot of it planned out in the brain. It's the translation from brain to metal that is a bit outside my realm of experience. Getting there tho. One day at a time. Trying to get enough done so that my buddy can come over to help weld up everything that needs proper welding. Then I can finish the final fab. Then it's off to chrome/powder. Oh man - just thinking about the day when I get all the powder and chrome parts back --- that night will be a party for sure. I can't wait!

Got the mid seat mocked up. For the king/queen, I'm going to build them as three separate seats. This way I can be a little more loose on the shape and fit and then I can upholster them myself.

The front seat will be a flat pan with (2) layers of foam.
    The mid seat will be a sheet metal hump with foam on top.
    The rear seat back on the sissy bar will be another flat pan with (1) layer of foam.

Name:	20180318_202756.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	83536

Got some more engraving done last night and this morning. Finished up the middle tank plate and got it bent. Still need to do some more shaping to get the stand-offs just right. But this is close. Then the bottom plate will be bent/mount similarly.

Name:	20180426_065316.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	83559

Name:	20180426_065328.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	83560

Name:	20180426_211927.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	83577

Name:	20180426_211946.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	83578

That's badass. I really like how the engraving adds to the bike. Really nice touch.

Thanks!

So here's some more.

If you follow me on Instagram @bpeak82 you'll have already seen this. If not... here goes.

With this set of tank panels, I knew part of the panel would be between the tank and handlebars. Prolly not a good place for more words or lyrics, but I didn't know what to engrave. Didn't want anything too hippie or drug related. But wanted to keep the style in theme with the bike. After a lot of thought, it was actually my wife that suggested some sort of old-man-moon. Midnight rider. Old bike. Old Man Moon. Kinda cool. Went online and found a good reference photo and... well...

Name:	20180428_082855.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	83625

So here are all tank panels, and the silver dollar, mocked up on the tank with the stand-offs ready to be welded.

Name:	20180428_103809.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	83626

Name:	20180428_114430.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	83627

Share This