Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by bpeak

On the speedo - I'm considering just removing the drive and plugging the hole with the colony plug/bolt/washer kit. Concerns?

Morning, guys. I picked up a '64 Sportster with a '72 motor. Got it for cheap because the dude was having trouble installing the transmission correctly. The whole bike is rebuilt, never fired. Trap door will need a little fine tuning to fit the dowels. That's no problem. The case is welded shut where the speedometer drive

Jussssssst a bit of food for thought ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 02-23-2018, 9:17 AM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• bpeak
      • Nov 2012

In other news - finally finished up lacing, truing, and mounting the rear hub/spokes/rim/strip/tube/tire combo. Just kinda sitting there for now. Going to rebuild the drum brake internals and engrave the backing plate. Then I'll get it on the bike. Looks WAY better with chrome shoes each end now. Getting pumped again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180227_203915.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	1300948

Comment

• brooklynbomber
        • Sep 2011

Looks real nice with that 18"

Comment

• austieee
          • Dec 2017

18" rear is perfect!!

You're in Tampa?

Comment

• bpeak
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by austieee
            18" rear is perfect!!

You're in Tampa?
            Just north of Tampa, yep. You too right? I live in West Pasco. Work in "New" Tampa up by USF.

Comment

• bpeak
              • Nov 2012

Got some more work done over the past few weeks on non-motor stuff.

So the gas tank is the type where it has the larger HD bung in the middle and two opposing Brit style bungs in the back. I didn't want to have to plug or mess with the two holes I'm not using so I decided to do this. Running a non-reserve petcock on the left rear side small bung. Then with the two bungs on the right side, got fittings to install a sight-gauge of sorts. It's really low on the tank so... if I see the level drop in this tube... I better get to a station quick. Oh well. Kinda looks cool and might (maybe sorta) be functional? Also got the new air cleaner mounted.

Name:	20180225_183849.jpg
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	1301184

Spent a lot of engraving time too on the rear brake drum backing plate. Kinda came out cool I guess. I'm diggin it.

Name:	20180228_055125.jpg
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	1301185

Name:	20180305_205637.jpg
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	1301186

Name:	20180312_002540.jpg
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	1301187

Name:	20180311_235102.jpg
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	1301188

Comment

• bpeak
                • Nov 2012

Also got the new top motor mount in and relocated the coil with a little strap I engraved to protect the coil bolt holes from ob-longing, started shortening the throttle cable, got most of the rear brake linkage done, rear wheel mounted and on the bike, exhaust mocked up for design of rear mounts, new (correct) cam chest breather tube installed, started mapping out the new wiring diagram, made a headlight bracket and mounted the headlight, and a bunch of other dinky stuff. Got a lot more to do to get prepped for a trip to my buddy's shop for a welding session. He's going to weld up all of the tabs and bungs I need. I'm just stoked to be almost back at roller status and get this thing off the blocks. Desperately want to see this thing rolled out in the sunshine.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Cool idea with the "sight-gauge" to let you know you are out of gas...it looks lower than the tank so my guess it will still be full when the tank is empty.
                  That engraving is great! Hope it helps you with stoppin'. It looks like you may need to change the location of the bottom mount for your sissy bar so you don't hide that fabulous work...
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• bpeak
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                    Cool idea with the "sight-gauge" to let you know you are out of gas...it looks lower than the tank so my guess it will still be full when the tank is empty.
                    That engraving is great! Hope it helps you with stoppin'. It looks like you may need to change the location of the bottom mount for your sissy bar so you don't hide that fabulous work...
                    I was thinking that same thing with the sissy bar mount. Last night I was mocking up the rear brake rod too and its all kind of trying to take up the same real estate. Gotta play with it a little more. I think I'm going to have to run the brake rod outbound of the frame/sissy and bend the end of the rod in to to the lever arm. Not quite sure yet.

On the sight gauge, I did test it with some gas earlier and I still had a decent bit of gas come out after I started to see air/daylight in the top of the line. I dunno. I'm sure I'll figure out a new design the first time I have to push it to a gas station. Will have plenty of time to think then. Haha.

Comment

• austieee
                      • Dec 2017

Yup. Live in north Tampa work in south Tampa. Thought those shop photos looked like Thunder Bay. I want to see this thing out in the wild. hmu when its done and we can cruise around.

Comment

• austieee
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bpeak
                        Just north of Tampa, yep. You too right? I live in West Pasco. Work in "New" Tampa up by USF.
                        Yup. Live in north Tampa work in south Tampa. Thought those shop photos looked like Thunder Bay..

Comment

• bpeak
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by austieee
                          Yup. Live in north Tampa work in south Tampa. Thought those shop photos looked like Thunder Bay. I want to see this thing out in the wild. hmu when its done and we can cruise around.
                          You got it man. I'm hoping to have it all done by the Cotee River Bike Fest up in New Port Richey in October. I'll be doing all my own paint, wiring, and final assembly and everything so I think it's gonna take me every bit of those months to get this thing alive.

Comment

• bpeak
                            • Nov 2012

Back in 2004... I designed a bike in CAD with engraved tank panels that had the lyrics to the Allman Brothers "Midnight Rider". I'm finally getting ready to make good on that design. Much more to come. And yes... at the bottom... that's a silver dollar. In fact the coin is from 1971. The same year this Sportster rolled off the assembly line. I'm pretty pumped.

Name:	20180221_222915-2.jpg
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	1301237

There will be three aluminum plates, each mounted to 0.4" stand-offs on the tank surface. The one on the left is the raw cut piece that wraps around the gas cap. Middle is the filed/sanded bottom plate ready for engraving. The right obviously is the paper template.

Name:	20180315_215141.jpg
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	1301238

I just did the first outline pass engraving this morning but forgot to snap a pick. Sorry.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                              • Sep 2011

Great detail on the engraving! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Comment

• Cotton1
                                • Aug 2017

I'm enjoying this thread/build. Your engraving skills are awesome! Do you ever do that for other folks?? Is it a hard skill to learn?

For the last couple years I have been riding down to Ocala area in October for one reason or another, no plans yet this year though. Chopper show might be fun if the stars align. October is a long ways off, or it seems like it is now!

Anyways, diggin your scoot and am jealous of your skills. I hope you get the PO shat straightened out without too much headache.

Cotton1

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;