Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DustyChop
    • Jan 2018

Clutch

Hey guys looking for some clutch knowledge for i know absolutely nothing about them. I have a late 90s possible 96 or 97 Evo Chopper with a 4 speed ratchet top tranny running a 1 1/2 open primary setup. Not sure what clutch is currently installed but it sucks. Its very hard to pull in the clutch lever and gotta kick up hard from 1st to 2nd and so forth. Not sure what new clutch to buy, ive heard good things about Primo but im just not sure at all what to buy that's compatible with this bike. Any enlightenment would help me out. Thanks
  • DustyChop
    • Jan 2018

Clutch??

Hey guys looking for some clutch knowledge for i know absolutely nothing about them. I have a late 90s possible 96 or 97 Evo Chopper with a 4 speed ratchet top tranny running a 1 1/2 open primary setup. Not sure what clutch is currently installed but it sucks. Its very hard to pull in the clutch lever and gotta kick up hard from 1st to 2nd and so forth. Not sure what new clutch to buy, ive heard good things about Primo but im just not sure at all what to buy that's compatible with this bike. Any enlightenment would help me out. Thanks

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Take a photo of the clutch and post it here ....
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 53panhead
        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by DustyChop
        I doubt that it's your clutch but it could be. First thing have you adjusted your clutch per the Manual specs?

Comment

• 53panhead
          • Apr 2017

I doubt that it's your clutch but it could be... First thing have you adjusted your clutch per the Manual specs?

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Not sure what clutch is currently installed but it sucks.
            Its very hard to pull in the clutch lever but im just not sure at all what to buy that's compatible with this bike.
            Might be a tad hard to adjust, being he doesn't have a clue what the bike is running for a clutch ...

Comment

• DustyChop
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 53panhead
              I doubt that it's your clutch but it could be... First thing have you adjusted your clutch per the Manual specs?
              Just bought it yesterday. Havnt adjusted anything. Havnt refered to manual because we arent sure what year Evo it is. Guy says its from a late 90s evo possibly 96-98. It was taken from a softail. 1340

Comment

• DustyChop
                • Jan 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5658.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1300184Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5658.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1300184

Comment

• DustyChop
                  • Jan 2018

Name:	IMG_5659.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1300185

Comment

• DustyChop
                    • Jan 2018

Name:	IMG_5659.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1300186

Comment

• 53panhead
                      • Apr 2017

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81150[/ATTACH]
                      What about a closer pic?

Comment

• 53panhead
                        • Apr 2017

Just bought it yesterday. Havnt adjusted anything. Havnt refered to manual because we arent sure what year Evo it is. Guy says its from a late 90s evo possibly 96-98. It was taken from a softail. 1340

What does the title say the bike is? Or is it a built bike? It's hard to tell by the pic but what I can see it looks nice..
                        It could have heavy duty springs?

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Looks like the stock clutch with an add-on alum. pressure plate .... And maybe the spring plate is also A/M ...

There is a spec to set up the spring pressure .. But most people will back off the spring pressure to where the clutch will not slip in hi-gear .... That way ya don't have a hard tug on working the clutch lever....

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

You can use a VIN decoder to find where the engine came from.

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                              • Jul 2010

Maybe I'm confused, but the engine doesn't have anything to do with the stiff clutch issue he's describing.

I've ridden an Evo rigid with a 4-speed ratchet top for 14 years and all the clutch related parts are relative to the 4-speed trans, not the Evo engine.

That said, it looks like you've got a stock type 3 finger clutch hub setup in the photo. All around not a great clutch. I would recommend either switching to a later model 5 finger clutch hub, or upgrading to aftermarket. The 5 finger will be the cheapest option, but I've run a BDL Competitor clutch on mine for the whole life of the bike and it works very well. It should also bolt straight into the belt drive clutch hub you have now, so you would only have to buy the clutch pack setup from BDL and you're ready to roll. Good luck.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;