CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Clutch

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Clutch

Hey guys looking for some clutch knowledge for i know absolutely nothing about them. I have a late 90s possible 96 or 97 Evo Chopper with a 4 speed ratchet top tranny running a 1 1/2 open primary setup. Not sure what clutch is currently installed but it sucks. Its very hard to pull in the clutch lever and gotta kick up hard from 1st to 2nd and so forth. Not sure what new clutch to buy, ive heard good things about Primo but im just not sure at all what to buy that's compatible with this bike. Any enlightenment would help me out. Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Clutch??

Hey guys looking for some clutch knowledge for i know absolutely nothing about them. I have a late 90s possible 96 or 97 Evo Chopper with a 4 speed ratchet top tranny running a 1 1/2 open primary setup. Not sure what clutch is currently installed but it sucks. Its very hard to pull in the clutch lever and gotta kick up hard from 1st to 2nd and so forth. Not sure what new clutch to buy, ive heard good things about Primo but im just not sure at all what to buy that's compatible with this bike. Any enlightenment would help me out. Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Take a photo of the clutch and post it here ....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DustyChop View Post
    I doubt that it's your clutch but it could be. First thing have you adjusted your clutch per the Manual specs?

Get Adobe Flash player

I doubt that it's your clutch but it could be... First thing have you adjusted your clutch per the Manual specs?

Get Adobe Flash player

Not sure what clutch is currently installed but it sucks.
    Its very hard to pull in the clutch lever but im just not sure at all what to buy that's compatible with this bike.
    Might be a tad hard to adjust, being he doesn't have a clue what the bike is running for a clutch ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 53panhead View Post
    I doubt that it's your clutch but it could be... First thing have you adjusted your clutch per the Manual specs?
    Just bought it yesterday. Havnt adjusted anything. Havnt refered to manual because we arent sure what year Evo it is. Guy says its from a late 90s evo possibly 96-98. It was taken from a softail. 1340

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5658.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	81149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5658.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	81149

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	IMG_5659.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	81150

Get Adobe Flash player

Views:	12 
ID:	81151

Get Adobe Flash player

Views:	15 
ID:	81150
    What about a closer pic?

Get Adobe Flash player

Just bought it yesterday. Havnt adjusted anything. Havnt refered to manual because we arent sure what year Evo it is. Guy says its from a late 90s evo possibly 96-98. It was taken from a softail. 1340

What does the title say the bike is? Or is it a built bike? It's hard to tell by the pic but what I can see it looks nice..
    It could have heavy duty springs?

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like the stock clutch with an add-on alum. pressure plate .... And maybe the spring plate is also A/M ...

There is a spec to set up the spring pressure .. But most people will back off the spring pressure to where the clutch will not slip in hi-gear .... That way ya don't have a hard tug on working the clutch lever....

Get Adobe Flash player

You can use a VIN decoder to find where the engine came from.

Get Adobe Flash player

Maybe I'm confused, but the engine doesn't have anything to do with the stiff clutch issue he's describing.

I've ridden an Evo rigid with a 4-speed ratchet top for 14 years and all the clutch related parts are relative to the 4-speed trans, not the Evo engine.

That said, it looks like you've got a stock type 3 finger clutch hub setup in the photo. All around not a great clutch. I would recommend either switching to a later model 5 finger clutch hub, or upgrading to aftermarket. The 5 finger will be the cheapest option, but I've run a BDL Competitor clutch on mine for the whole life of the bike and it works very well. It should also bolt straight into the belt drive clutch hub you have now, so you would only have to buy the clutch pack setup from BDL and you're ready to roll. Good luck.

Also makes a Hugh dig if you lube the cable

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the comments so far and i apologize for not being more specific. Its built and titled as an 09 SC. Late 90s Evo in a paughco wishbone. Yea its a 3 finger piece of trash. I was looking at going to a BDL. I guess right now my only issue is finding what year this dang motor is so i can find the right fitment.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BadMonkeyMW View Post
    Maybe I'm confused, but the engine doesn't have anything to do with the stiff clutch issue he's describing.

I've ridden an Evo rigid with a 4-speed ratchet top for 14 years and all the clutch related parts are relative to the 4-speed trans, not the Evo engine.

That said, it looks like you've got a stock type 3 finger clutch hub setup in the photo. All around not a great clutch. I would recommend either switching to a later model 5 finger clutch hub, or upgrading to aftermarket. The 5 finger will be the cheapest option, but I've run a BDL Competitor clutch on mine for the whole life of the bike and it works very well. It should also bolt straight into the belt drive clutch hub you have now, so you would only have to buy the clutch pack setup from BDL and you're ready to roll. Good luck.
    http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1516323181381

I found this BDL competitor. It has alot of late 90s softails for fitment.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its a 3 finger piece of dookie.. Looking to upgrade to a stock 5 finger or even a BDL competitor. That should help? Right now i need to find the exact year of this motor so i can purchase the right fitment.

Found this. It late model softail evos

Get Adobe Flash player

Its a 3 finger piece of dookie.. Looking to upgrade to a stock 5 finger or even a BDL competitor. That should help? Right now i need to find the exact year of this motor so i can purchase the right fitment.

Found this. It late model softail evos
    That won't fit your application.

Share This