• Show
Clear All
  • armand
    • Jan 2012

Also makes a Hugh dig if you lube the cable

Comment

• DustyChop
      • Jan 2018

Thanks for the comments so far and i apologize for not being more specific. Its built and titled as an 09 SC. Late 90s Evo in a paughco wishbone. Yea its a 3 finger piece of trash. I was looking at going to a BDL. I guess right now my only issue is finding what year this dang motor is so i can find the right fitment.

Comment

• DustyChop
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by BadMonkeyMW
        Maybe I'm confused, but the engine doesn't have anything to do with the stiff clutch issue he's describing.

I've ridden an Evo rigid with a 4-speed ratchet top for 14 years and all the clutch related parts are relative to the 4-speed trans, not the Evo engine.

That said, it looks like you've got a stock type 3 finger clutch hub setup in the photo. All around not a great clutch. I would recommend either switching to a later model 5 finger clutch hub, or upgrading to aftermarket. The 5 finger will be the cheapest option, but I've run a BDL Competitor clutch on mine for the whole life of the bike and it works very well. It should also bolt straight into the belt drive clutch hub you have now, so you would only have to buy the clutch pack setup from BDL and you're ready to roll. Good luck.

I found this BDL competitor. It has alot of late 90s softails for fitment.

Comment

• DustyChop
          • Jan 2018

Its a 3 finger piece of dookie.. Looking to upgrade to a stock 5 finger or even a BDL competitor. That should help? Right now i need to find the exact year of this motor so i can purchase the right fitment.

Found this. It late model softail evos

Comment

• 53panhead
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by DustyChop
            Its a 3 finger piece of dookie.. Looking to upgrade to a stock 5 finger or even a BDL competitor. That should help? Right now i need to find the exact year of this motor so i can purchase the right fitment.

Found this. It late model softail evos
            That won't fit your application.

Comment

• 53panhead
              • Apr 2017

There is nothing wrong with a 3 finger set up if it's set up right.

Comment

• nuklhd
                • Sep 2013

there is nothing wrong with a properly set up 3 finger clutch. there a big buck options but you don't need it. take it apart and see what you have.

Comment

• nuklhd
                  • Sep 2013

we were typing at the same time.

Comment

• DustyChop
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 53panhead
                    That won't fit your application.
                    Then what is going to fit? Thats what im having trouble with

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by DustyChop
                      Then what is going to fit? Thats what im having trouble with
                      I'm 99.9% sure that what you want to look for is something rated to fit 70-84 Shovels. The splines on the engine sprocket shaft are the same on that era Shovel and on Evos. Like I had said before, you can just replace the clutch hub assembly and keep the rest of your belt drive components that you have now. Would be a lot less expensive than buying an entire new belt drive.

And for the record, a 3 finger clutch is a piece of shit. I knew a couple dudes would come out of the woodwork and try to defend it, undoubtedly because they run one, but the fact is it's flawed from a design point no matter how well you "set it up". There's a reason H-D ditched it and switched to the 5 finger style. There's also a good reason you don't see Primo, BDL or Barnett making an aftermarket version of the OEM 3 finger clutch hub..........because it sucks! Don't let your own ego get in the way of admitting something is inferior. I've been a professional mechanic for so long, I only care about what works the best and I'm not hesitant to call a turd a turd.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Five finger hub or stud kit + long bearing kit + tamer works for thousands of HD owners self included. You still have to adjust it properly.

Comment

• Blackbetty
                          • Apr 2011

BDL competitors were considered the most inferior when compared to barnett scorpion and primo pro clutch

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

There's also a good reason you don't see Primo, BDL or Barnett making an aftermarket version of the OEM 3 finger clutch hub..........because it sucks! .
                            They make them for people that don't know how to adjust a 3 finger correctly... And they can make money off of them... Plus a primo is more like the later set up and I agree it's much easier to set up..... Nothing like a 3 finger...
                            Last edited by Tattooo; 01-19-2018, 8:23 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Blackbetty
                              BDL competitors were considered the most inferior when compared to barnett scorpion and primo pro clutch
                              Going to be hard to attain a Pro-Clutch now that Primo has shut down production ...
                              Barnett has it going on with the Scorpion, the design is very much like a Bandit ...
                              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• DustyChop
                                • Jan 2018

I'm 99.9% sure that what you want to look for is something rated to fit 70-84 Shovels. The splines on the engine sprocket shaft are the same on that era Shovel and on Evos. Like I had said before, you can just replace the clutch hub assembly and keep the rest of your belt drive components that you have now. Would be a lot less expensive than buying an entire new belt drive.

And for the record, a 3 finger clutch is a piece of shit. I knew a couple dudes would come out of the woodwork and try to defend it, undoubtedly because they run one, but the fact is it's flawed from a design point no matter how well you "set it up". There's a reason H-D ditched it and switched to the 5 finger style. There's also a good reason you don't see Primo, BDL or Barnett making an aftermarket version of the OEM 3 finger clutch hub..........because it sucks! Don't let your own ego get in the way of admitting something is inferior. I've been a professional mechanic for so long, I only care about what works the best and I'm not hesitant to call a turd a turd.

So this most likely what im looking for? And thanks for all the knowledge. This is becoming alot more understanding.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;