Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apollopeepshow
    • Jan 2018

8 Over Forks for Shovelhead?

Have a '79 shovelhead stock frame that I'm running 4 over fork tubes. I have 8 over tubes and wondering if anyone has pictures of other stock big twin swing arm frames running 8 over in the front. I think the rake is more than a sporty and even tho my friends say it's going to be too squirrely, I want to do it anyway. Any thoughts would be appreciated, but let me see some pics too.
  • tzienlee
    • Apr 2024

I Guess this will be your first build,.... before ya kill yaself, DONT do it,..
    8'' overs on a stock Shovelhead frame will be shit handling if not downright dangerous,
    you'd find it real hard to ride it without slipping off, hard to park it with the frame that high in the air,
    the motor would probably suffer at that angle as the oil system would not be working right,
    it would be dangerous to other road users,ya don't wanna kill ya riding buddies when ya come off do ya??.... not many have even tried it which shows ya it's not a great idea,... some pics of other bikes with no rake and long front ends, couldn't find any shovels so I guess they just weren't done that way
    Attached Files

Comment

• vegas
      • Feb 2010

like jerimiah's bike? Do it!!

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

OP was wise to ask. The accurate answer is it's an epic noob mistake begging to make a meat crayon out of the rider.

Chobbing today is fundamentally "retro" hobby so we can look back on the good, the bad and the fugly and learn from others fuckups. Geometry and CG are ruthless and give zero fucks what humans think.

couldn't find any shovels so I guess they just weren't done that way
        People actually cared about most of the Shovels. Ironheads and British twins were considered disposables we flipped to buy big twins, like unoriginal old Jap bikes today. When doing silly shit picking a lighter motorcycle was a good idea.

Comment

• Blackbetty
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by tzienlee
          I Guess this will be your first build,.... before ya kill yaself, DONT do it,..
          8'' overs on a stock Shovelhead frame will be shit handling if not downright dangerous,
          you'd find it real hard to ride it without slipping off, hard to park it with the frame that high in the air,
          the motor would probably suffer at that angle as the oil system would not be working right,
          it would be dangerous to other road users,ya don't wanna kill ya riding buddies when ya come off do ya??.... not many have even tried it which shows ya it's not a great idea,... some pics of other bikes with no rake and long front ends, couldn't find any shovels so I guess they just weren't done that way
          HAhahahhaha this guy has no fucking clue what he's talking about. ^

I rode a stock raked shovel w a 10 over for 2 years. It was awesome, and aside from the weight differences, handled better than the stock length narrow glide I run now. I only went hydro for a different look. Yea, adding 10 inches to the front end is going the change handling characteristics - like anything, it takes getting used to.

That being said, I have a 12 over wide glide in the garage just waiting to go on something offensive
          Last edited by Blackbetty; 01-08-2018, 8:17 AM.

Comment

• tzienlee
            • Apr 2024

The OP is talking of a STOCK FRAME,.. as in, with swing arm etc,..... yours are rigids by the look of ya picture...completely different kettle of fish,.... Fucker !!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Blackbetty
              HAhahahhaha this guy has no fucking clue what he's talking about. ^

I rode a stock raked shovel w a 10 over for 2 years. It was awesome, and aside from the weight differences, handled better than the stock length narrow glide I run now. I only went hydro for a different look. Yea, adding 10 inches to the front end is going the change handling characteristics - like anything, it takes getting used to.

That being said, I have a 12 over wide glide in the garage just waiting to go on something offensive
              My buddy in Whitehorse ran a 10 over RLR twistrail springer on his stock rake 883 Sporty for years, after he pulled it off his BSA chop. He was used to it, as he ran +6 tubes on his KZ 750 twin for years before the BSA got chopped. Nobody died.
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Blackbetty
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by tzienlee
                The OP is talking of a STOCK FRAME,.. as in, with swing arm etc,..... yours are rigids by the look of ya picture...completely different kettle of fish,.... Fucker !!
                my point stands...op should swap them in and get righteous

Last edited by Blackbetty; 01-08-2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• xnewmanx
                  • Aug 2012

Something to note: A 10 over springer will be a lot different than 10 over tubes, because you're likely changing offset, not just length.

Second, putting 10 over tubes is going to add a lot of trail, which might make it sluggish while moving slowly, but isn't going going to make it dangerous. At highway speeds it will be very stable.

Lastly, shovel and pan frames are similar enough that I can say my daily is a swinger pan with a 10 over 39mm on it...

Comment

• FatChibs
                    • Feb 2014

i dont have much to add, but i ran 10 overs on my stock sportster for a year. its fine, dont believe the hype. ur kickstand will be too small however. anyhow, i have some 10 overs on my shovelhead (im just guessing i havent measured), but if you are interested in trading, hit me up..

Last edited by FatChibs; 01-08-2018, 1:24 PM.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                      • Apr 2012

Indeed, OP was wise to ask, Nothing like reading the (De) structions before proceeding, cant hurt to start here:

See: http://www.chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcalchopper2427248_362873514_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1299963Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcalstylechopf16d98.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1299962

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum