Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knightrider007
    • Jan 2018

intruder 1400 bobber project

I just purchased a 97 Intruder 1400. runs fine just needs new tires, a tank, and some clean up.

I want to bobber it out; however I have never done this before let alone serious bike maintenance. looking for any guide books or recommendations on best practice for bobbing this out. thanks a lot

- Josh
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Sort it out and ride it before modding.

Get a factory manual (preferred) or a Haynes/Clymer/Chilton if you must. Best practice is learned by relentless fucking study online.

Ask before throwing parts at it! What seems good or bad may be otherwise.

Save pics of chops you like for reference. Save web articles (print to .pdf works very well) and all the info you encounter that might be useful. Kee[ the info in one folder for convenience.

Take more digital pix then you think you need. You can get views with a camera or phone where your head may not fit, like beneath the machine. I do this with bikes and everyotherfuckingthing. You can zoom pics on a monitor to see details your eyeballs may miss.

Change all the fluids including fork oil (which few riders ever change then they wonder why their fork dives excessively).

Inspect wiring for chafing, corrosion etc. A bright light works wonders. I use cheap rechargeable LED headlamps off Amazon because fuck holding a flashlight, and because they give light where you need it even in a well lit shop.

Suzuki Intruder and general Suzuki forums exist. Use them too.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

And another great resource is right here; search the ChopCult forum - I plugged in Intruder and there are several pages of threads for this model (and similar models) by innovative ChopCult members: http://www.chopcult.com/google_searc...truder&sa=Find

Also read the HOW TO: TECH threads - lots to learn there too.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• knightrider007
        • Jan 2018

thank you! will get on it

Comment

• SoCalGhostGunner
          • Sep 2017

Step one: Listen to Farmall. He saved me about $500 in labor getting my GL1000 up and running.
          With a Jap bike, I would recommend both the factory and the Clymer books. The factory book is better, but sometimes they are translated poorly. The factory book for my VStar 1100 had instructions like "When the line is lined up with the another line, make sure the other thing is in place".

Comment

• Luky
            • May 2018

That motorcycle the Suzuki Intruder 1400 already had good looks. Matter of fact it was the first factory chop. It had 36º of rake.It was not until the V-Rod that another factory bike had 36º rake.
            It also was a big V twin with dual carbs. The battery was located down very low in front of the back wheel. It had metal side covers-not plastic.
            The bike will fit shorter riders better. Very minor tweaks will work best. Even the factory exhausts looked good.
            This bike was manufactured for many years. Fit and finish was excellent.
            Last edited by Luky; 05-24-2018, 9:28 PM.

Comment

• TheMKoi
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by knightrider007
              I just purchased a 97 Intruder 1400. runs fine just needs new tires, a tank, and some clean up.

I want to bobber it out; however I have never done this before let alone serious bike maintenance. looking for any guide books or recommendations on best practice for bobbing this out. thanks a lot

- Josh
              Hello Josh

Welcome aboard. Just a head up in case you haven't already figured this out is that the rear seat actually hides some of the electrical. Your best bet to clean up the back end and "Bob" it would to hide all of that stuff in the rear airbox. If you look up some intruder specific forums they will go into lots of details about tuning or not tuning the intruder.

If you have any questions specific to the 97 1400 intruder, let me know I will tell you what I know. it might not be much but it might help out.

Matt

Comment

• Luky
                • May 2018

Originally posted by knightrider007

- Josh
                I have a tank for that bike. The stock tank.
                It is painted black and has a new petcock on it and a locking gas cap and key.
                No dents. The paint has a clear two part clear paint so that it is gas proof.
                I would like $150 for it and that includes the shipping! The inside of the tank is in very good condition.
                No rust. It also comes with a special mount so you can mount it like a Bobber tank is mounted if you need it.
                Last edited by Luky; 05-27-2018, 8:52 PM.

Comment

• bbf
                  • Oct 2013

A clymer manual is a good purchase and must have in my opinion. Intruders-alert is a good forum for a lot of technical info as well. I have an 87 1400 and have bobbed it. I love it. Found a ton of info and ideas here on the cult forum. Like farmall said get in good riding condition before nodding.

Comment

• wnb5399
                    • Sep 2021

Sorry I'm new here. Would you happen to still have that tank for sale?

Comment

• Jasonisdico
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by wnb5399
                      Sorry I'm new here. Would you happen to still have that tank for sale?
                      I’ve got a tank for a 1400 kicking around somewhere. If you’re interested, send me a message and I’ll pull it out and get pics. I’d do $150 plus shipping on it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...